Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Canlt Get Key Out!! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33562)

twenty2 04-03-2008 08:19 PM

Canlt Get Key Out!!

When I turn my engine off and put the truck in park, my key won't come out. It seems its in the acc. mode and I can't turn it all the way back to release the key out of the ignition????

Any help please...... :confused:

SteveGt 04-03-2008 08:34 PM

Re: Canlt Get Key Out!!

Did you try cranking the steering wheel all the way to the left or right whyll trying to remove the key?

Mr. I - Man 04-03-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2
When I turn my engine off and put the truck in park, my key won't come out. It seems its in the acc. mode and I can't turn it all the way back to release the key out of the ignition????

Any help please...... :confused:

Sounds like the wire broke off the shifter harness. Just take off the shifter then pop off the up/cover and there will be a white connector at the base of the shifter with many wires connected to it. In my case the red wire was brittle and kept snapping off. I just cut the bad wire off a spliced a heavier and more flexible gauge wire in its place. To get your key out in the mean time pop open the plastic cover around the ignition and push in the metal solenoid plunger location directly under the lock cylinder while you turn the key back.

Hope this helps

twenty2 04-03-2008 11:38 PM

okasy. hers the update. I dont have any loose wires on the shifter. The only way to get the key out of the ignition is the solenoid release. Any other ideas why this is happening?

Metallic Red 04-04-2008 01:50 AM

Do a quick check of your fuses. Sometimes a blown fuse can have an effect of other accessories. Hope this helps.

ED

FGHT ON 04-04-2008 05:02 PM

I had this happen to mine . . . my plastic shifter kept coming lose and sliding down and scratching the bezel so I took it off moved it up and tightened the screw all the way down but then the key wouldn't come out because there is some sensor that wasn't getting depressed.. Make sure your shifter cover is all the way down on the "black pole like thing" inside your shifter with the screw lining up perfectly, and then tighten the screw all the way in the hole.

jdrew 04-04-2008 05:22 PM

you also may want to try and turn the key forward and move the shifter to D then back to P making sure it's all the way in P.. I have had that happen a few times before and it worked...

twenty2 04-04-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallic Red
Do a quick check of your fuses. Sometimes a blown fuse can have an effect of other accessories. Hope this helps.

ED

I'll check that later on tonight.. I'll give an update...

twenty2 04-04-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrew
you also may want to try and turn the key forward and move the shifter to D then back to P making sure it's all the way in P.. I have had that happen a few times before and it worked...

Tried that a couple times, and 1 time it released... and now it doesn't?????

twenty2 04-04-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FGHT ON
I had this happen to mine . . . my plastic shifter kept coming lose and sliding down and scratching the bezel so I took it off moved it up and tightened the screw all the way down but then the key wouldn't come out because there is some sensor that wasn't getting depressed.. Make sure your shifter cover is all the way down on the "black pole like thing" inside your shifter with the screw lining up perfectly, and then tighten the screw all the way in the hole.

Everything lines up perfectly..... I feel like a thief!! Everytime I park, I have to pull out a flat head screwdriver and stick it in the plastic and hit the solenoid!! Talk about ghetto.... lol

HUMTECH 04-04-2008 06:56 PM

The shifter button is likely sticking inside the shift shaft and not releasing. With the shifter handle off use a screwdriver and push down on the center and see if it goes down and then back up. If you have spilled coffee or any other kinds of drinks in the cupholders this gets gummed up. try cleaning it out with brake clean and lubricate with lithium grease. If it wont free up you may need a shifter assembly

codeman671 04-05-2008 03:09 PM

My 05 did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they swapped out the ignition mechanism with a new one under warranty. Fixed it.

twenty2 04-07-2008 08:18 PM

here's the update on this situation.... Turned out to be a bad lock cylinder. $32.00 dollar part. :)

HUMTECH 04-07-2008 08:45 PM

If it was the lock cylinder then hitting the release button on the shifter assembly would not have done anything.

twenty2 04-14-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
If it was the lock cylinder then hitting the release button on the shifter assembly would not have done anything.

Hummtech..... Guess what? You were right!!!!!:crying: It happened to me again 2 days later. Maybe it is a shifter assembly that I need??????? AHHHHHHH... help again. This SUKS!!! :crying:

HUMTECH 04-15-2008 12:10 AM

I would double check the wires to the shifter assembly. 4 wire connector at the back right side of the assembly. Pull on each wire there may be a partial break inside the insulation which is hard to see. Other than that best guess without seeing the truck would be the shifter assembly as parts are non servicable.

twenty2 04-15-2008 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
I would double check the wires to the shifter assembly. 4 wire connector at the back right side of the assembly. Pull on each wire there may be a partial break inside the insulation which is hard to see. Other than that best guess without seeing the truck would be the shifter assembly as parts are non servicable.

there's 2 wires that are cut.... a green and i think a blue one? I think it was cut to bypass the video for my screen in front? I have a video switch to turn my screen on/off when I need to. BUT, if its the way the installer did it, its been like that for years with no problem. :confused:

BayouSouth 12-09-2008 01:19 AM

Mine was doing same exact thing.
Dealer fixed mine today under warranty (extended)

the ignition switch was bad AND also the relay down at the shifter

the service tech told me they have been getting a TON of H2's with same problem.
She says she does'nt know WHY they have not done a RECALL yet.

cheers,

Bubba.....................

Lampooner 12-09-2008 01:02 PM

This can be caused by your battery starting to go south. Accordimng to my mechanic, my 2006 H2 has a starter which he described as having planatery gearing. He said it will actually start the H2 with as little as 10 volts. The key release is voltage controlled and the drop from a battery starting to fail will cause the problem.

I replaced battery with an Optima Yellow top. A couple of days later the Optima failed with the same symptoms. That's when I took it in, thought it was the charging system. Turned out to be the new Optima, rteplaced it, has worked fine after that.

mklonaris1 01-13-2009 08:39 PM

Hey...does anyone know the wiring order in the connector for the shift lock mechanism. When I went in to check for a broken wire there was one and when I pulled the connector out I pulled some other wires out. Now I dont know what order they go in. The connector has labels on each slot ....A, B, C, D, E and F. I have 5 wires... Red, Yellow, Black, Green/Blk, and Green/Wht

Can anyone help?