Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Future of Hummer value? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39369)

Stainless 04-15-2010 04:14 PM

Future of Hummer value?

What do you all think will happen to the value of your Hummer H2 over the next 5 years? Do you think sell/trade values will hold up, decrease or even increase over time?

The H2 is a GREAT vehicle! Roll on!

Luv2Camp 04-15-2010 04:44 PM

Re: Future of Hummer value?

I believe that the value will initially increase and after the initial round of those looking to get the truck while they can are done, the prices will come back down for a few years and than stay flat for a few more years before they will rise again.

Considering that my truck when new was about $72k and less than 3 years later worth about $33K, I do not think about the increase side. Cars are a depreciating asset!

Stainless 04-15-2010 04:46 PM

I agree with the car/depreciation issue. Over the years I have owned just about everything under the sun. On average after 4 years of average driving, I was lucky to get 50% of MSRP. I usually sell outright and no trade ins.

Luv2Camp 04-15-2010 05:09 PM

That is why I try to keep my vehicles for 10 years!!!!

Bayrat 04-17-2010 05:07 AM

In the case of some discontinued models, they will depreciate pretty much like any other vehicle. In the case of specialty or rare vehicles, the value will go up with demand. Not certain where each model of the Hummer will fall but my guess is the H1 will do best. The other models will do OK on the coattails.

Personally I am glad I had the chance to buy one prior to the brand's demise. Out of all the SUVs I test drove, I liked the H3 best. My JK Rubicon is just as well received however.

codered 04-18-2010 06:04 AM

Right now the price won't change too much. Now years and years down the road they will be worth a lot more. It's one of the best suv's ever made.

diana@southstarhomes.com 06-26-2010 03:45 PM

I consider myself a cool grandmother, and i'm new to this forum. Here's the deal, I have to load up at least 2 grand babies in car seats each week, actually they feel like baby bulls! Well, you know the height of a hummer! My second car is a 2004 TBird, and that doesn't go well with hauling kids. The dilemma.... I need another car, but i have to get rid of one or the other, as you all know neither are being manufactured. The question, Do I hold on to my hummer put it in the garage, drive it on sunday's, because 20 yrs down the road, my tank will be the envy at every classic car show.

StockStar 07-01-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stainless
What do you all think will happen to the value of your Hummer H2 over the next 5 years? Do you think sell/trade values will hold up, decrease or even increase over time?

The H2 is a GREAT vehicle! Roll on!

It will decrease like any other GM vehicle, but probably even more since people are getting rid of them left and right. The market is saturated with H2's. Over 2000 for sale on autotrader alone. Don't count on any GM car, especially the H2 as being worth more than what KBB or NADA has it listed for. Im seeing numerous H2's in my area for sale well under the nada or Kbb list price and they still aren't selling. Sorry to be so pesimestic(sp)

dvl57 07-01-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockStar
It will decrease like any other GM vehicle, but probably even more since people are getting rid of them left and right. The market is saturated with H2's. Over 2000 for sale on autotrader alone. Don't count on any GM car, especially the H2 as being worth more than what KBB or NADA has it listed for. Im seeing numerous H2's in my area for sale well under the nada or Kbb list price and they still aren't selling. Sorry to be so pesimestic(sp)

I guess in the long run it might decrease in value.
However, values have increased since I've purchased my H2 in 2008.

I can definitely sell it more than I bought it for.

Then again, it could be the region of where you live.
In Texas, it's a strong market.

seanflood 07-01-2010 04:16 PM

I think the value will fluctuate based on gas prices. Everybody needs transportation but not every one needs a Hummer. I seem to see more H3's now than H2's on the road. I wouldn't buy a Hummer as an investment but more for the passion of the vehichle itself.

VegasGuy 07-01-2010 07:05 PM

I am not concerned about the future value of my H2 because I do not plan to sell it . . . with one exception: If I had the the disposable income to pay cash I would upgrade to an '08 or '09. I haven't had a car payment since 1993.

father_of_4 07-02-2010 12:10 AM

I am less concerned about the value of my H2 as to the cost to keep her running say 8-10 years from now (I tend to hang on to vehicles for at least 7 years). For now, I put that concern out of my mind and just enjoy the ride (and remote start) :).

Bob

PS Anyone know what a low speed grinding noise from the wheels might be? Not dirty brake squeal.

VegasGuy 07-02-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by father_of_4
Anyone know what a low speed grinding noise from the wheels might be? Not dirty brake squeal.

Bearings?

HummerJim 07-02-2010 12:56 AM

Vehicles make poor investments - there's maintenance, insurance, depreciation. I've owned several collector cars - the Corvettes did the best and the only one I really did well on was a Dukes of Hazzard Charger TV close up car, I bought in 1982 kept in the garage and polished it and drove it in a few parades and sold it when the movie came out in 2005 - but after you factor in 23 years of insurance and a new head gasket on the 440 engine, 18,000 miles of 9 mpg on premium gas with 4:11 gears - it was just about a break even. I don't think you'll sell your Hummer for a profit if you drive it for several years - but, so what, if you love driving it. I had fun in every car I've owned and enjoyed driving them. Honestly, I've enjoyed my two Hummers the most of anything except maybe the '65 396 I bought new, and the M5- yep, I'm an old fart! Hummers are fairly easy to maintain and people that want them aren't that concerned about gas. I plan on keeping my H2 until they bury me and maybe get another H3 someday, only used this time. When it comes to cost of maintaining a car or vehicle, very little can hold a candle to a high performance BMW V8 out of warranty. Cars that hold their value like a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Prius, and the ones Consumer Reports likes are BORING and aren't that much fun to drive and when your gas gauge in life is approaching empty and you look back on things - fun in driving means a lot. As for how others feel about Hummers, I could care less if they sneer at me when I drive by - I LOVE HER and enjoy driving it every time I take it out, rather on pavement or dirt!

father_of_4 07-02-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasGuy
Bearings?

12k miles? Hope it's early for that. Started to hear it after first tire rotation...

Hmmmm

VegasGuy 07-02-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by father_of_4
12k miles? Hope it's early for that. Started to hear it after first tire rotation...

Tire shops are notorious for over-torquing lug nuts. Maybe they tweaked something.

Back to the topic at hand: My father bought my first car for me when I turned 17 so I could drive myself and my younger sister to school. He bought a '57 Chevy Belair 4-door post 283 automatic for $150 in 1969. It was more of a family sedan that my father knew I could not turn into a street rod. The paint was rough but other than that it was in great shape with normal mileage. I drove it for two years and sold it for $100. I would love to still own that car today and I know it would be worth a lot more than $150.

My point is Hummers will continue to decline in value to a point. Like the unique looking '57 Chevy, there is nothing that quite compares to a H2. Given time they will increase in value and become very collectible, IMO.

HummerMann 07-03-2010 12:49 PM

I paid $56,790 for my 2006 H2 from the dealer and I was just glad to have one because H2s were going fast in those days. It's going to be a long time if ever, before it reaches that price again, but I have no intentions of selling anyway. I have a 1991 Corvette ZR1 that some dealers were getting as much as 100k for when they came out, now you would be lucky to get 35k for a nice one, so you never know - buy what you enjoy driving because investing in cars can be expensive business! I agree though that any old pre '68 Corvette, any Lamborghini, any Ferrari or Shelby anythings are good investments, but more importantly fun to drive. I've been into sports cars and classic cars for years, look at the fastest and "coolest cars" of when you were 16 and then extrapolate that to being 50 now and having the funds to buy one and then you can see what cars are peeking. '57 Chevies are on the way down, Chevy Nomads appear to have peeked, Cobras are holding value and older GT350s are still increasing, and those who bought the Caddy straight eights or '55 Tbirds a decade ago have taken a bath. There was a big article in a June 1999 C&D about the 1999 Isuzu Vehicross being the first SUV collectible and sure to increase in value because of its limited 1900 unit production, power and styling and some paid well over sticker on them - it hasn't happened.

The Professional 07-11-2010 12:45 AM

Auction prices rose after the turmoil with the sale. At least locally. I don't believe they will become a novelty or collector vehicle if that's the question.