Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hard to get parts? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38007)

HummerHippy 08-12-2009 06:22 PM

Hard to get parts?

I have had an order for over a month for H3 roof rails (cross bars) from Lynch (Adventure Accessories). They've been on back order. No idea when they're going to come in. I just read another thread, it's hard to get a transmission filter. :(
I've been looking around at different places to buy the cross bas. I'd prefer the OEMs and not the ones where you add the hummer lettering. Anyone have any ideas?

thx

HumbleAg 08-13-2009 07:15 PM

Re: Hard to get parts?

I've got bars I bought on e-bay a while back (don't remember the seller). Look exactly like the factory bars and were quite a bit cheaper. Only issue is the key for removing them is pretty stiff, but since I don't remove them (except when I bought the new truck), they are ok.

wpage 08-14-2009 12:19 AM

heres one

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...dm4omd-JqReNVA

did a google search and got a # of hits...

HummerHippy 08-14-2009 02:12 PM

THx Humble. I read posts here about the cross bars where you put the hummer letters on yourself. So that there's no patent? infringement - something like that. One guy said he liked them except he thought there might be an issue under heavy loads. Perhaps it didn't lock into the roof and snugly as he wanted? So I was thinking of going with the OEM version. What have your experiences been?

The link for cross bars - are chrome. I didn't find black one's on that site. quite a good price though.

Thx for the suggestions.

northern_hummer_user 08-14-2009 03:29 PM

I had trouble finding front brake parts in Northern British Columbia. With 36,000 km on my 2006 H3, I needed new rotors, calipers and brake pads. Rear brakes were fine. Salt air corrosion caused the calipers to stick a bit and ground down the rotors to the point they couldn't me turned. The local GM dealer and NAPA didn't have anything in stock and the main Hummer dealer in BC (Dueck GM in Vancouver) had pads and rotors but no calipers. I waited 14 days and paid $108 for air shipping. Final bill was $900+ for parts plus $250 in labour for new front brakes. I almost cancelled my trip to the Yukon and Alaska because of the delay.

The potential for lack of parts and the unclear future of HUMMER prompted me to trade in my H3 ($16,000 trade in) for a 09 F150 4X4 which is a POS compared to my hummer.

I really really miss my 1st year, metallic green H3 with adventure pkg...If GM comes back and HUMMER survives, I can see buying another one as it is the BEST off road vehicle made.

NHU

HumbleAg 08-14-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerHippy
THx Humble. I read posts here about the cross bars where you put the hummer letters on yourself. So that there's no patent? infringement - something like that. One guy said he liked them except he thought there might be an issue under heavy loads. Perhaps it didn't lock into the roof and snugly as he wanted? So I was thinking of going with the OEM version. What have your experiences been?

Mine have the hummer name molded into the covers, just the chrome letters were separate. I think they are still sold on ebay (although less than what I paid now).

Confession, I've never loaded them with anything, I guess they are just for show on my truck. They did seem to fit a bit loose on the 2007, but when I installed on the 2009 they are very snug and seem sturdy. More of an issue with GM rails than crossbars it would seem.

Good luck.

wpage 08-15-2009 05:25 PM

Concerning racks. With the hight of the H3 have you considerd adding more loop rings on the rails and just securing your load right to the roof? With bungees thru the rings...

solarflare 08-16-2009 12:29 AM

I have purchased roof racks from ebay before...and never had any issues...to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell the difference between the ebay ones and the actual oem ones.....
I'm sure you would be happy with the ebay ones, plus the price is much better.

Spuds 08-18-2009 08:19 PM

I went with Yakima bars because I needed a wider bar for two kayaks. I think it looks better anyhow with the wider bars.

HummerHippy 08-19-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds
I went with Yakima bars because I needed a wider bar for two kayaks. I think it looks better anyhow with the wider bars.

Really? They secured right to the standard roof rails? Got a part #? Thx

Regarding using the use of the loops, if you mean by themselves, I need something to hold stuff (like a ladder) off the roof. I'll see what I can find on the Yakima equipment.