Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   H3 Snorkel? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24044)

bjc 01-22-2007 04:56 AM

H3 Snorkel?

1 Attachment(s)
I just noticed this photo on the Tough Country website:

Attachment 35410

I fired off an email to sales inquiring as to whether this was just a one-off mod for the Bully H3, or if they had any plans to sell a production kit. Has anyone else attempted to add a snorkel?

garnerbiker 01-22-2007 05:15 AM

Re: H3 Snorkel?

drewl..........

straight axle, and spring over in the rear.... yummy

RubHer Yellow Ducky 01-22-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjc
I just noticed this photo on the Tough Country website:

Attachment 35410

I fired off an email to sales inquiring as to whether this was just a one-off mod for the Bully H3, or if they had any plans to sell a production kit. Has anyone else attempted to add a snorkel?

That engine compartment must have had a TOTAL makeover because the normal air feed is from the right fender area...

RYD

fourfourto 01-22-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
That engine compartment must have had a TOTAL makeover because the normal air feed is from the right fender area...

RYD

:iagree: They must have modified the fuse box also.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 01-22-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfourto
:iagree: They must have modified the fuse box also.

and a lot more.......................

RYD

Lex_Ordo 01-22-2007 04:44 PM

The snorkel looks cool, but I would prefer it on the opposite side where the intake is.
However, forget the snorkel...
I want that front bumper with the winch assembly!

Steve - SanJose 01-22-2007 05:18 PM

Snorkel looks kinda lame. Especially if it's non-functional.

Sewie 01-22-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfourto
They must have modified the fuse box also.

That truck had a complete diesel conversion.

bjc 01-22-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewie
That truck had a complete diesel conversion.

Exactly...for that truck, I'm sure the air intake is on the driver's side and the snorkel is functional. That's not an I-5 under the hood.

Got an email back from a guy at Tough Country - they didn't do the snorkel but he's going to track down the company that did.

usetosellhummer 01-22-2007 09:25 PM

looks gey

Steve - SanJose 01-22-2007 10:05 PM

Great mod, for a submarine maybe.

Anti-BlInG 01-23-2007 01:28 AM

Like it alot. Want one.

Demo 01-23-2007 04:06 AM

From what I understand, a snorkel on a Gas engine will not increase the "submergability";) of said vehicle. It does however reduce dust intake and bring cooler air to the engine. On a diesel engine you turn said vehicle into a submarine. So it may look gey to some, but to others it could provide more proficient air intake and great looks.:D

Demo 01-23-2007 04:07 AM

I'll take two please.:p

stagger_lee 01-23-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnerbiker
drewl..........

straight axle, and spring over in the rear.... yummy

Spring over = :lame:

Straight Axle = :excited: :dancingbanana:

evldave 01-25-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemoDaddy79
From what I understand, a snorkel on a Gas engine will not increase the "submergability";) of said vehicle. It does however reduce dust intake and bring cooler air to the engine. So it may look gey to some, but to others it could provide more proficient air intake and great looks.:D

Not sure I agree with this. Water typically gets into the engine through the intake. If you can raise the air intake, you can go through higher water than without (but watch out for the breather valves for your differentials and t/c). The entire air intake system needs to be sealed, but it will increase the submergability, and most important give you a higher margin of stupidity when going through deep water to prevent hydrolock.

If you are really careful in your waterproofing, you can fully submerge the engine and still have it run just fine as long as the air intake is above waterline.

Desert Dan 01-25-2007 12:35 AM

Watch out for the electronic and computers. I am not sure is they are all waterproof.

evldave 01-25-2007 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
Watch out for the electronic and computers. I am not sure is they are all waterproof.

True, forgot about that. It's all solid state, so at least it will dry out & probably work again :) I remember in the old days putting a plastic bag w/duct tape over the distributor on mud runs to make sure it didn't short out. Then I graduated to silicone. I used to have a 325i and BMWs were known to have their ECM short out going through car washes!! Let's hope hummer has done a better job of protecting parts against water...

JAYB1RD 01-25-2007 07:55 PM

That looks great! It needs to be on the other side though like was said.

I've seen guys run their breather tubes into the snorkle. That way the tranny, axles, t-case, ect all get fresh air just like the engine does when under water. Smart move if you ask me.

usetosellhummer 01-25-2007 09:04 PM

you f up and take it to the dealer after too much water and a snorkel on your truck, better bring alot of money, they won't cover it.
want a snork get a used H1 for about 35 k.