Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   "Cheaped out" on Roof Rack. (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32562)

ctluba 02-06-2008 05:45 PM

"Cheaped out" on Roof Rack.

I have been wanting a Gobi rack for the longest time but the price was killing me. I know they are the best and can carry much more than a normal rack but I didnt have a need for that much capacity. I came up with this solution after seeing a pic in another thread. Ordered the following last night:

Rola rack with extension: 66"x37.5"x4", $190.00 , Rack-Dawg.com

Platypus bag and net (15cu ft): $100.00, Rack-Dawg.com

Factory Spec H3 cross bars w/mounts: $180.00, Gear Jammin accessorys

A shade over $500.00 w/shipping. Basically 1/3 the cost of a Gobi and it will handle my needs. If I had the greater need for carrying capacity I would go with the Gobi hands down! I will post pics when I get it all mounted up.

Mr_Pat 02-06-2008 07:11 PM

Re: "Cheaped out" on Roof Rack.

I have the Rola rack with extension and it does the trick.

yat74 02-06-2008 07:50 PM

Me too, great rack.

06-H3 02-06-2008 08:19 PM

Can someone post a pic of it on their vehicle? I'm interested in seeing how it looks as I'm also in the market for a roof rack and can't swing the $1,000 + price tag on a gobi, as much as I'd like to.

How difficult was it to install on the 3? Do you remove the factory cross bars or does it somehow mount to those?

ctluba 02-06-2008 09:58 PM

06H3,

I will post pics as soon as mounted. The information on the product states that it bolts directly to the factory cross bars. With the extension it is a pretty big rack. There is a thread in the "H3 photos" section titled "post your stock rims with 35s" or something similar. If you go to page #2 of that thread you can see a photo of a green H3 that has the Rola roof rack.

ctluba 02-06-2008 10:04 PM

Just checked out that thread again and I see the green H3 belongs to you Mr Pat. I must confess that I got the idea for the Rola from your picture, Thanx. I will use the saved $$ on some other goodies like maybe a K+N air filter system and some other stuff I been looking at.

Huck BB62 02-07-2008 12:19 AM

Maybe rethink that K&N. http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm There's better alternatives out there with synthetic dry, more efficient media.

wpage 02-07-2008 12:50 PM

The ultimate cheap out is simply to add 4 rings to the existing roof rails on your factory rig. :beerchug:

Mr_Pat 02-08-2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctluba
Just checked out that thread again and I see the green H3 belongs to you Mr Pat. I must confess that I got the idea for the Rola from your picture, Thanx. I will use the saved $$ on some other goodies like maybe a K+N air filter system and some other stuff I been looking at.

thats what I did, being an E5 in the Air Force sucks when its time to up grade stuff and needing money.

algy 02-08-2008 09:17 PM

Hold on until the feds cut that stimulus package to get your GOBI rack... of course you'll be spending you own money b/c it's actually coming out of your 2008 return.

mastercraft88 02-09-2008 06:22 PM

I just purchased a Roof Rack For my H3 TAC ED from Wilderness Racks.I purchased it from Rack Outfitters www.rackoutfitters.com/, the rack I got is a 48Wx60Lx6H. This rack cost $560.00 w/free shipping. It looks really good on the H3.

FishnMan 02-12-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercraft88
I just purchased a Roof Rack For my H3 TAC ED from Wilderness Racks.I purchased it from Rack Outfitters www.rackoutfitters.com/, the rack I got is a 48Wx60Lx6H. This rack cost $560.00 w/free shipping. It looks really good on the H3.

:popcorn: Waiting for pics............ Got any?

ctluba 02-14-2008 02:24 AM

UPS tracking indicated delivery today. I waited all friggin day, ready to bolt it up and take pics. Checked package tracking that indicated they went back to the wharehouse due to snow / ice storm and will be delivered tomorrow. Oh well, one more day for pics.

06-H3 02-14-2008 04:14 PM

Looking forward to the pics, nothing worse than waiting on a delivery. Let us know any issues with the install as I'm real close to making a purchase as well. Bought the wife about $100 in flowers for the Hallmark Holiday today and then pulled the ol' "you know what I would really like instead of flowers that will die in a week?" whiny routine and got the green light to purchase a rack.

fourfourto 02-14-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage
The ultimate cheap out is simply to add 4 rings to the existing roof rails on your factory rig. :beerchug:

:giggling: I bought 4 more so now I have 4 on each side,Its handy having the extra loops.

FishnMan 02-14-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06-H3
Looking forward to the pics, nothing worse than waiting on a delivery. Let us know any issues with the install as I'm real close to making a purchase as well. Bought the wife about $100 in flowers for the Hallmark Holiday today and then pulled the ol' "you know what I would really like instead of flowers that will die in a week?" whiny routine and got the green light to purchase a rack.

LOL 06-H3 :clapping: My thoughts exactly. Looking at the Yakima Mega Warrior myself, but not sure if it is too wide for the crossbars.

ctluba 02-15-2008 12:01 AM

Re: "Cheaped out" on Roof Rack W/PICS

Ok, UPS showed up at 3:00pm, had it all mounted up 4:00pm with no issues. Looks great and should do the job as far as what I need to haul. (As you can see I finally had the larger spare tire mounted up and the wheel powder coated to match the other four)

ctluba 02-15-2008 12:03 AM

One more Pic, closer image.

dbphotos 02-15-2008 07:31 AM

CTLUBA, which size did you order?

ctluba 02-15-2008 08:20 AM

It is the standard Rola rack with the 18" extension added in 66"x37.5"x4".