Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Leveling Kit (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14488)

H-Unit 09-01-2005 07:03 PM

I really want to level my H3, but I don't want to mess with the tortion bars. Does anyone make leveling pucks or bolts for our trucks? There are some on ebay, are they any good?

H-Unit 09-01-2005 07:03 PM

I really want to level my H3, but I don't want to mess with the tortion bars. Does anyone make leveling pucks or bolts for our trucks? There are some on ebay, are they any good?

timgco 09-01-2005 11:35 PM

try looking at the post abovelevel kit this one

Look at the 3rd post down.

H3 Guy 09-02-2005 01:48 PM

Putting different pork chops on the torsion bars is the exact same thing as cranking the torsion bars. Not one bit of difference.

timgco 09-02-2005 05:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Guy:
Putting different pork chops on the torsion bars is the exact same thing as cranking the torsion bars. Not one bit of difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...care to explain? I thought the "pork chops" were the propper way to do this.

H3 Guy 09-02-2005 09:02 PM

The new pork chop only have a different clocking of the hex feature in regards to the arm. What the new pork chops do is allow a little more twist.
Look at it this way, if you jack up the vehicle and loosen the torsion bar there might be 1" of thread left at the top when the torsion bar are relaxed and there is no tension. The new "lift" pork chops might only allow a few threads of the bolt or might have to disconnect the shock to allow the lower control arm to drop further to get the new pork chop installed (then put on the ground and reinstall the shock).
So in turn the new prok chop will only give your torsion bars a little more angle when they are maxed out. The H3's have enough adjustment left from the factory to get the front level and possible more than the rear.
The HUGE down side to this is Chevy designs all there vehicles to almost ride on the bumpstops. This is the nose dive effect you feel when braking ( or the effect you do not feel when torsion bars are set correct). If there is a large gap between the bumpstop and lower control arm the bumpstop will not function as it should be preventing. The bumpstops are soft & progessive and act more as a damper. There are more cons than pros to changing out the distance between the bumpstop and control arm.
In summary, unless you have tried to max out your torsion bars and get the height you want, there is no point in wasting your money on some new pork chops (not to mention the stiff ride you will have). If you max them and still want more, the new prok chops is the way to go.
Hope this helps!

MxHonda 09-02-2005 09:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Guy:
Putting different pork chops on the torsion bars is the exact same thing as cranking the torsion bars. Not one bit of difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Pork choppps and applesauce...

timgco 09-03-2005 01:05 AM

The new pork chop only have a different clocking of the hex feature in regards to the arm. What the new pork chops do is allow a little more twist.
Look at it this way, if you jack up the vehicle and loosen the torsion bar there might be 1" of thread left at the top when the torsion bar are relaxed and there is no tension. The new "lift" pork chops might only allow a few threads of the bolt or might have to disconnect the shock to allow the lower control arm to drop further to get the new pork chop installed (then put on the ground and reinstall the shock).
So in turn the new prok chop will only give your torsion bars a little more angle when they are maxed out. The H3's have enough adjustment left from the factory to get the front level and possible more than the rear.
The HUGE down side to this is Chevy designs all there vehicles to almost ride on the bumpstops. This is the nose dive effect you feel when braking ( or the effect you do not feel when torsion bars are set correct). If there is a large gap between the bumpstop and lower control arm the bumpstop will not function as it should be preventing. The bumpstops are soft & progessive and act more as a damper. There are more cons than pros to changing out the distance between the bumpstop and control arm.
In summary, unless you have tried to max out your to rsion bars and get the height you want, there is no point in wasting your money on some new pork chops (not to mention the stiff ride you will have). If you max them and still want more, the new prok chops is the way to go.
Hope this helps! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. So the 4" Rancho lift and 35's is the way to go than. I wonder if she'd notice when she came home and her rig sat 5" higher.

H3 Guy 09-03-2005 12:39 PM

Not at all...just put the step bars on it and explain it just makes it looks higher!!!

Be careful on the new pork chops, the only ones I have seen are welded steel ones. There is a reason why they are casted pieces.

Is anyone getting the Rancho lift, I would like to see some pics.