Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   H3 Battery Dead (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18803)

Desert Dan 07-25-2006 08:48 PM

H3 Battery Dead

I went out to the H3 this am and click click no startie!

How nice for a $35K truck that is only 4 months old. Lucky I wasn't out in the boonies or BFE or I would have had a heck of a walk. No time to mess around with the waranty or On-Star this am..got to go work.

I assume it is the battery so in goes an Optima tonight!

I hope it is just the Delco battery and no some other electrical gremiln

In the mean time I am driving my 18 yr old Cherokee

Agriv8r 07-25-2006 09:26 PM

Re: H3 Battery Dead

usually it is from sitting to long on the lot and right after you buy it...if it has been four months, it sounds like there is something not shutting off causing a drain....i know you are all thingking duuuuhhhh....just trying to say it is not a battery issue:rolleyes:

f5fstop 07-25-2006 09:42 PM

Could be the battery, could be a drain on the battery. I would not suggest just going out and replacing it, until you get the electrical system checked; it might be a waste of money.
Not sure where you live, but batteries in hot areas have a problem with the plates shorting out due to heat. Not just Delco, but all lead/acid batteries. Therefore, yes, they can just go dead for no apparent reason. However, they can also go dead due to a drain on the battery that is caused by another reason.
Optima makes a good battery, they do hold up to heat better than lead/acid, but even Optimas can go bad.
I would suggest a trip to the dealer, let them run a check (they have a nifty little machine from Midronics). If it is the battery, they will replace it, if not, they should be able to diagnose why it went dead and repair the issue. Then, if you want a Optima, get it and donate the new battery to a charity that restores cars/trucks for sale.:D

Just a note, batteries are usually one of the top ten warranty items for ANY manufacturer; not just GM/Hummer. I know someone on the Lexus customer assistance center phones, and she has stated over dinner, that their number one call for a tow is a dead battery. I would guess, GM is right up there with Lexus.:D

usetosellhummer 07-25-2006 09:43 PM

happens on all vehicles reguardless of price

Desert Dan 07-25-2006 09:47 PM

Sounds like it could be a drain on the wallet too.

Thanks F5F Stop

I don't have time or patience to go to the dealer right now. Faster and cheaper to get an Optima

I am just glad it died in my driveway insead of Death Valley in 126 degree heat

f5fstop 07-25-2006 09:49 PM

Then I suggest going to one of those auto parts stores that will test the battery for free to make sure it is a battery. If it is a drain, the optima will go flat too.
(When I go off-roading, I bring along a large 800 AMP starter, that will start the H3 without a battery in it.:D I don't even trust Optimas:o )

evldave 07-25-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5fstop
...I know someone on the Lexus customer assistance center phones, and she has stated over dinner, that their number one call for a tow is a dead battery. I would guess, GM is right up there with Lexus.:D

Sleeping with the enemy?;) Did you suddenly get into the spy business? :D Working on Plan B for when the pensions finally break GM?:mad:

Wisha Haddan H3 07-25-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5fstop
When I go off-roading, I bring along a large 800 AMP starter, that will start the H3 without a battery in it.:D I don't even trust Optimas:o

Is it something like one of these? http://www.mytoolstore.com/clore/jnc.html
How long does yours store a charge on the shelf (or in the trunk)?

Desert Dan 07-25-2006 10:24 PM

FStop

I will probably take it to the dealer to see if they can check for an electrical drain with the Midronics device.

f5fstop 07-25-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
Is it something like one of these? http://www.mytoolstore.com/clore/jnc.html
How long does yours store a charge on the shelf (or in the trunk)?

Guess I shoud specify 800 cold cranking amps...200 peak amps. It contains two 12-volt sealed batteries and can be used for 12 or 24 volt systems.
Holds a charge quite well. I charge on A/C every three months (or thereabouts), and if used in the field I charge from the vehicle.

You can also carry an Optima in the back, and if the battery goes dead, jump it directly from the battery with no cables; as long as the posts line up. You can turn an Optima upside down with no leakage, touch the posts, and you can start the vehicle.

Chip 07-26-2006 02:32 AM

The first thing I did was go out and get a better high output battery. The ones that come with the H-3 are cheap and I've heard that a lot where batteries fail.