Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   changing the color of my H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42880)

snmazer 09-07-2012 06:58 PM

changing the color of my H2

In 4 days I turned my pewter H2 into a white one. I also Line-X'd my bumpers, rockers, roof rack cross bars,and trim, and also interior. I sprayed the back roof area semi gloss black to mahe my H2 kinda look like a SUT. I wrapped my H2 with white vinyl vehicle wrap made by Hexis. Overall, it was a pretty simple project. Just need a razor knife and a heat gun. I watched a few videos on utube, and then tackled the job. The total cost for the transformation, which included vinyl, spray on line-x, new rockers with the cut outs, various fasteners to replace broken ones...About $650.00.
Im trying to post the pics with photobucket, but the site seems to be having problems :notallthere: ....I will post as PB is running again

snmazer 09-07-2012 07:41 PM

Re: changing the color of my H2

hopefully the pics will be here now.

Cesardajr 09-07-2012 09:35 PM

looks really good for only $650!!!

Camou2 09-07-2012 09:50 PM

Wow! That is an unbelievable transformation in just 4 days!

devilsfan 09-07-2012 10:00 PM

I've never seen the upper back done in black before, that looks really good. Good work!

[__--MUD--__] 09-07-2012 10:14 PM

Forgive me if your not open for suggestions, I'm big on details.

You have already painted the upper body portion of the side cargo area. -
tape off the body line below the glass, and paint that strip between the body line and window black also. It currently looks ****ed up w the hatch window line being being that much lower than the sides. It will all be seamless then.

I gotta give you points for creativity...no one has painted the cargo black like that yet. I've been on the forums for 6 years.

snmazer 09-07-2012 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the complements, Thanks MUD for pointing out the bad!:D ha ha!

I know what your saying MUD but if Im understanding you correctly, it would look even more f'd up that way because the side "bed" , would look way too thin...there was a home made H1 kit on ebay a while back and the guy made that back part too thin....looked really bad. I was going to just add white to the bottom of the back glass but then the rear whiper will be on the white....don't know...maybe I'll just do that and remove the rear whiper.

[__--MUD--__] 09-08-2012 12:30 AM

Your basically trying to make the rear disappear. Did you vinyl the top and then paint it so you could revert back or paint over the clear coat? I'd break that window line the rear has. The sut bed trim follows what I'm saying to paint. You have vinyl on it, give it a shot black....if you hate it, peel it off. ;)

snmazer 09-08-2012 04:04 AM

clearcoat was sanded and then paint was sprayed on. I will take your advice and make it black below the window to the body liine. I'll post pics if I like it.
Also, I forgot to add the cost of the white grill to my expense. Add another $200...sorry,forgot to add that. Still I think it turned out pretty good for under $1000. I purchased the vinyl from Autovinylsolutions.com, and the Line-x type spray I purchased from Liner X-treeme.

pdxrealtor 09-09-2012 08:39 PM

Amazing transformation!

How's that vinyl hold up??

I agree with MUD.... look at the cut lines of an SUT... you need to bring that black down to just below the rear window.

Very creative... I've often thought about cutting the rear top off to convert to SUT. Like the SUT so much better.

I was trying to sell/trade mine for a while then got busy with other things. Now I have too many mods and upgrades to think about getting rid of mine.

Anyways...great job!

snmazer 09-10-2012 01:09 AM

The website where I purchased the vinyl (autovinylsolutions.com) states it has a 10 year durability rating. The vinyl is specifically made for vehicle wrapping. check out you tube, there are a bunch of videos showing installation on various vehicles.

guruerror 09-10-2012 04:42 PM

I was all set to NOT like the outcome when you were initially describing it...before the pics...but I have to say, that's a pretty amazing transformation for 4 days. I even kinda like where you went with the black on the back thing.

:beerchug:

EDIT: The stuff would be great body protection for those who off-road, but don't wanna scratch up their paint job...

H2R 09-10-2012 10:06 PM

ME LIKE EM!:excited: :excited:

[__--MUD--__] 09-11-2012 02:58 AM

Vinyl will last a long time if you take care of it. I've had carbon fiber graphics on my Trans Am 11 years now. That was black vinly w/ silver hatch printed on it. The only bitch about vinyl graphics is auto wax likes to build up on the edge of the graphic, but that wont be an issue where since its all full panels.

tyler1bo 09-11-2012 06:31 PM

At night you've got an SUT! But do you?? ;) I also second the painting the cargo area to the line. I think that'd even it out.

dare8601 09-11-2012 10:49 PM

:clapping:

PaHumBug 09-12-2012 07:57 PM

You got a color matched grille for $200? Or had it painted for $200?
looks great!

snmazer 09-14-2012 04:01 PM

I purchased the color matched grill for $200...brand new in factory box. I bought it from SAE-AUTO on ebay a while ago.

PaHumBug 09-14-2012 05:17 PM

Wow, wish I could find one for $200.

pdxrealtor 09-14-2012 07:38 PM

My local dealer has one pewter left , for 100.00 if anyone's interested.