Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   has anyone done dual rear seats? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44566)

Hellz 11-04-2013 07:34 PM

has anyone done dual rear seats?

so i have thought about pulling the bench from the back and adding 2 single seats. so yes, effectly turning my H2 in to a 4 seater.

i hardly ever have more than 4 people in my vehicle.
would open more space.

so it was just a thought, that i am sure would cost like $2k to do which ill laugh at and say F%#K NO!

guruerror 11-04-2013 07:59 PM

Re: has anyone done dual rear seats?

As you research this...keep in mind that the rear seat in an '03 differs from the rear seat in the rest of the original interior model years. I don't know if it impacts the mounting locations or anything else that you'd be worried about; but figured it was worth a mention. I know they changed 'something.' See diagrams below.

One interesting thing...the 'riser' for the 04-07 H2s (PN 88941240), is listed as a cross platform part used on 3500s, Sierras, Silverados, Yukons, etc. So...if the bolt pattern didn't change on the deuce from 03 to 04 you might be able to pull a set of rear captains chairs out of a Denali or Escalade and have them bolt right up. http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../88941240.html

'03 diagram

'05-07 diagram

guruerror 11-04-2013 08:10 PM

Here's the Yukon rear bucket...I bet it'd fit:

LoJac963 11-04-2013 08:48 PM

Can't believe I've never thought of this. Would be an awesome idea!!

Keep us updated if you go for it!

Hellz 11-04-2013 09:15 PM

wow, the amount of knowledge in your head!!!

thanks.. it seems more doable now, and shouldnt cost too much.

im not sure what to do with the center open area as the rear flap will be noticable. i thought maybe a subwoofer there, but really that defeats the purpose of putting in the single seats to open it up.

guruerror 11-04-2013 09:35 PM

Thanks...but, honestly, it's not the knowledge that's in my head; I just have a bit of a knack for 'connecting dots,' figuring out how to make things fit together.

I've had my 60 half out for a couple years now and didn't even notice the carpet flap (if that's what you're referring to). I eventually put a big HUMMER mat across the whole thing. You could easily find a small mat to fit between two bucket seats.

If you're referring to #s 18 and 63 in the H2 diagrams...the plastic 'flap' on the back of the seat designed to cover the gap to the hinges when the seat is flat...no worries there either. The Yukon seat has shorter ones, #6 in the Yukon diagram. Worst case, if the clips don't line up you could just trim the H2 piece short. I pulled mine altogether so I could use the bolts as a Hi-Lift mount.

jsbihn 11-06-2013 02:04 PM

I think Guru needs a bucket of soap and water for all that mud on the interior of his door.

(bet that was a good time splashing that though)

guruerror 11-06-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbihn
I think Guru needs a bucket of soap and water for all that mud on the interior of his door.

(bet that was a good time splashing that though)

Yeah...it was a GREAT time...a whole day of wheelin', winchin', slippin' and slidin'....the crowd going wild...topless girls on the tree line jumpin' up and down...

...and as the muddy water and slop gushed up over the hood, and splashed up the windshield, I looked to my right and thought, "sh!t...(sigh)...my windows're down." Reports from the sideline indicated that you could actually see the cartoon thought-bubble appear over my head with those words. :)

You should have seen the front seats, and doors, and dash, and ceiling...everything. :) It looked BEAUTIFUL! That little bit in the pic is all that's left...from our April RC run. The truck don't get cleaned much...lol.

LoJac963 11-06-2013 11:18 PM

I think it would look fine. There isn't much under those seats. The small passageway is ideal for moving from the rear seats to the cargo area!

Question is what type of seats would be going in? They would obviously have to match the front seats. Also would the heated seat function go away also?

I'm very interested in this, it would make the rear seating look amazing!

guruerror 11-07-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I think it would look fine. There isn't much under those seats. The small passageway is ideal for moving from the rear seats to the cargo area!

Question is what type of seats would be going in? They would obviously have to match the front seats. Also would the heated seat function go away also?

I'm very interested in this, it would make the rear seating look amazing!

As long as you stuck with a set of GM seats from a compatible year you could always just get the matching OEM seat covers for the fronts. The only problem I see is that the deuce may have been the only vehicle to have black leather interior at that time. The Escalades had a dark grey, but I couldn't find pics of any other GM SUVs from that model-year range with black interiors.

Now 'wheat' is another story...I think they all offered 'wheat' as a color option...that would be an easy solution.

KT2T 11-08-2013 06:27 PM

I had been thinking about this lately as well and came across this:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30900

No pics there, sadly, but good info. That thread, and now this one, are where I'm going for information on this mod now. My bench seat has a tear in the center which was caused by either the previous owner of by the monkey that I had transport the H2 from Seattle, WA (dealer I bought it from) to Lakeland, FL (where I live). I have never bothered with fixing the tear as I've always wanted to switch from bench to chairs.

Looking forward to your progress, and pictures! :beerchug: