Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacing Bulbs in the Steering Wheel? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23229)

Sundown94 12-22-2006 05:06 PM

Replacing Bulbs in the Steering Wheel?

Hi Everyone!
It seems that one of the bulbs for a button in the steering wheel has burned out, or at least it does not come on with the rest of the lights anymore. Does anybody know how to replace bulbs in the steering wheel? Specifically, the bulb that no longer works is the one for the button next to the volume button.

Thanks,
Steve
sundown94@comcast.net

dolphin06 12-25-2006 03:04 AM

Re: Replacing Bulbs in the Steering Wheel?

4 Attachment(s)
First of all, I'd like to say hello to the group.... I'm a new member looking forward to sharing/learning info about my 2004 Hummer H2.

Sundown94,
I recently had the same issue w/ 3 of my steering wheel controls on a 2004 H2. The light didn't work but the switch controls worked fine. I've attached a few pix, hope they help.
I don't believe that the bulbs in the switches can be replaced (but I'm not 100% sure). The whole switch needs to be replaced. The switch can be worked out of the hole it sits in without leaving any damage using a small screwdriver.
I had to use a type of "dental" tool to hold the connector in place while I plugged in the new switch. There wasn't enough slack on the wire to pull the connector all the way out of the hole (this was the hardest part).

Here're the prices I paid from a local Hummer dealership..

RL (right lower) $28.20
LL (left lower) $23.30
LU (left upper) $26.91
HTH...

f5fstop 12-25-2006 09:12 PM

They're LEDs not bulbs. Not designed to be replaced. However, if you have to replace the switch anyway; try it; you have nothing to lose. Chances are, the local radio shack will have the replacement LED for about 2 bucks, and a little time with a soldering iron might be fun.

Alan06SUT 12-26-2006 05:34 AM

Thanks for the pics. Ialways wondered how to get those out if the bulbs went out.

Sundown94 12-27-2006 06:02 PM

Hey Dolphin, thanks for the pics and instructions on how to replace the bulbs/buttons. Just from looking at the pics themselves, it does appear that the hardest part will be reconnecting the new button to the wiring harness in the steering wheel. I wonder why GM wouldn't have just put a little more slack in the wiring to make it easier? How much time do you think you spent trying to reconnect the button? I'm afraid I'll lose my patience during the whole process. :crying: Thanks again!!

dolphin06 12-28-2006 07:20 AM

Sun,
After I got the switch out, I realized that I couldn't hold onto to the connector and plug the new switch back in (after about 10-15 minutes of trying).
The key to this (for me anyway), is to get some sort of tool that's skinny enough w/a hook on the end to carefully hold the back of the connector steady. That made plugging in the new switch possible. You may luck out & the wiring harness in your steering wheel may have more slack than mine did.
Once I had that "dental" tool to hold the connector, it took about 10 min. to do all three.

HTH

Sundown94 01-04-2007 11:06 PM

Thanks again Dolphin. I'm going to give the tool a shot. Considering what you have described, it must work well at putting enough pressure to get the plug into the switch, and I guess any lateral movement of the plug is minimized by the same pressure, thus allowing for the plug to aim directly into the back of the switch without bending to the left or right.

mdoyle 01-06-2007 12:03 AM

I just replaced my switch set this week after seeing the post here. The program switch was worn and the light was out on the source switch side.

The dealership charged me $23 for the part and it took all of 2 minutes to swap. The harness with the plug was short on mine so I used a small flat blade screwdriver to position the plug while getting it to click.

It's easy, go for it.

Sundown94 10-10-2007 03:19 AM

OK, so it's almost a year later now and the volume/seek button finally has both of the LEDs blown out in it (so not only is the volume side of the button blown out, but the seek side is dark as well). I know, I know, I totally procrastinated in replacing the button since I originally posted my question last December. :) Does anyone know the part# for the volume/seek button and also where is a good place to order from?

Thanks!

dochummer 04-13-2008 04:29 AM

Ummm...anybody have the part numbers for these switches? I just noticed that my lower left one went out.

Thanks!

TBarrow 04-17-2008 05:29 AM

I have never had lights on my buttons. I have a 2003 it was #450 built.

guruerror 01-06-2010 01:35 AM

Does anyone have the part number for these buttons?

Luv2Camp 01-06-2010 02:06 PM

Rt Switch radio control #1999443
Lt Switch Radio Control #1999442
Rt Switch Info Center #21997739
Lt Switch Info Center #21997738

If you know how to take the air bag and steering wheel off, that is the way to go to replace the switches. Once the wheel is off, remove the plastic trim around the base of the wheel and you than can move the wire harness to the far right and the far left which will give you more sveral inches of play in the wiring so you do not have the issue of trying to get the wire harness plug into the switch. Another thing to be very careful of is DO NOT PRY against the steering wheel when pulling the switch out. The surround around the switch is foam and I have seen some of these actually split open when someone tries to pry the switch out. You can use needle nose pliers and pull the switch up by the little tab that sticks up betwwn the buttons when both buttons on the switch are depreseed down at the same time.

guruerror 01-06-2010 03:54 PM

Awesome...thanks for the direction.

PHATBOYPIMP 01-06-2010 05:45 PM

Quick question, my bulbs are slowing burning out on my in my dash (4 wheel buttons) and the steering wheel. Are you guys having the same problem with the replacement switches background lights burning out as well? I would hate to replace all of these switches only to have them burn out again in the future....

Luv2Camp 01-07-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHATBOYPIMP
Quick question, my bulbs are slowing burning out on my in my dash (4 wheel buttons) and the steering wheel. Are you guys having the same problem with the replacement switches background lights burning out as well? I would hate to replace all of these switches only to have them burn out again in the future....

Most of the parts out there are old stock and not sure if they even addressed the issue on later production runs. I am sure that the replacements will have the same issues. One of these days I am going to take one of them apart and try to replace the light.

kelly20747 06-24-2011 12:44 AM

Hey guys new here but I'm a Service Manager for a Pep Boys and yeh it is kind of easy I have a Tahoe and it is the same way to replace.