Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   VortecMax L76 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39849)

guruerror 07-15-2010 07:45 PM

VortecMax L76

I figured I'd throw this out there and see what feedback I get...

I've been 'thinking' about a Duramax conversion for my '05 when I hit 150,000...I'm only at about 80,000 now, so I've got a ways; but I've read through some horror stories on the forum about this, and I hate to ask how much Predator is charging now...

SO...that got me thinking about what would make a more friendly upgrade...something without as many ECM, wiring problems, etc.

In researching the Vortec line of engines I noticed that the 4th Gen Vortec 6000 (L76 - VortecMax) has an 'aluminum block.' Hmmmm...(thinking...thinking)...my science teacher, Mr. Reader, told us that aluminum is 'lighter' than iron...(thinking...thinking)...if the engine weighs less, the truck weighs less...if the truck weighs less, the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard to move the truck...if the engine doesn't have to work as hard my performance and mpg should go up.

I couldn't find exact specs on the LQ4 or the L76...so I don't know the actual weight difference, nor do I know if the L76 would bolt up to everything that it needs to bolt up to...so I thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone had any additional thoughts or information.

Hellz 07-15-2010 10:28 PM

Re: VortecMax L76

LQ4 = 520 LBS

L76 = dont have a answer for this

i doubt it is going to weight less than 100 to 150 lbs than the LQ4.

while weight does help with the power, your going to need to free up alot more weight than just that of the motor to even feel a difference.

could drill the body, and any other sheetmetal to cut out soem weight.

drop the tires to some low profile hit a speed bump and take out your differential tire.

some high end rims.. do they make titanium rims yet? thats going to be light!
right now with my 20 inch rockstars, and 37 inch BFG MT tires, im sure the weight is over 100 lbs per tire/rim

take the spare out of the back

take off the roof racks

/shrug

guruerror 07-15-2010 10:34 PM

Just a thought...I would love to have a Duramax, but am just worried about the project becoming a nightmare.

I've already dropped all of what I consider 'unnecessary' weight...roof rails, side steps, 60 side of the rear 60/40 seat, and the third row. But then I've prolly added just as much with the Boulder Accessories front bumper/winch and the OEM rear tire mount and the BFG 37 Mud Terrains.

Big.Z.hummin 07-15-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
Just a thought...I would love to have a Duramax, but am just worried about the project becoming a nightmare.

I've already dropped all of what I consider 'unnecessary' weight...roof rails, side steps, 60 side of the rear 60/40 seat, and the third row. But then I've prolly added just as much with the Boulder Accessories front bumper/winch and the OEM rear tire mount and the BFG 37 Mud Terrains.

so you only have one seat besides the front two? :notallthere:

guruerror 07-16-2010 12:34 AM

Yes and no...I still have my third row seat (when needed)...sounds crazy, huh? Well, not entirely crazy. There is a method to the madness...

I removed the 60 half of the seat...not for weight-reduction but to create a hidden storage area. The bottom of the seat (the bit that you sit on...or used to sit on) is completely gone.

The back of the seat (the bit that had the headrest, arm rest and cup holders) I removed, stripped down to the metal frame, sprayed it with undercoating (to make it black...and because it had a bit of surface rust), and re-attached the carpet to the back-side of it. I then put it back in the truck using the same mounting points. When lying flat (as it always is) it is completely indistiguishable from the original configuration.

I use the storage area (which boasts about eight/nine inches of clearance...I never measured) to stow gear that I otherwise would have needed to mount in a location that was visible and/or would have cluttered up my console and glove box (walkies, jumper cables, flash lights, machetes, tool kit, tire iron, and high-jack).

The area also serves as a good mounting point for the on-board PC that I installed to replace the factory nav/radio. The PC, wiring, and peripherals all mount to the bottom side of the metal seat-back; keeping it in a semi open-air environment and off the floor to avoid any possible water damage should I wander too far into a creek that is too deep. I've also mounted my fire extinguishers on the plate too.

Couple that with the fact that in the four/five years I've owned the truck I've never had the need to transport more than three other passengers (I guess I'm just not a people person), AND that I plan on keeping this truck until one of us dies...it seemed like a solid choice to meet my needs.

Besides meeting my personal needs, another thing I like about this configuration is that when loaded with four passengers, the rear passengers are one behind the other, which leaves my cargo area as one contiguous block of space. This works out good because the only time I ever have four people in the truck is if we're going camping and this allows us to store our gear in a smart manner. Plus I think it weirds people out being in that seating configuration...which adds to the perceived 'adventure' of just being in a Hummer. :)

So...not crazy...just whittling it bit by bit into the truck that I need.

SqwkVFR 08-21-2010 03:21 PM

Aluminum LS series blocks are roughly 80ish lbs lighter than the FE blocks.

IRA51 08-21-2010 06:56 PM

Not worth the weight saveings, rebuild and mod yours . The Dmax conversion is great ,but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If your rich and like a chalange the Dmax could be fun .

SqwkVFR 08-21-2010 07:10 PM

Agree. Stay with Iron in a truck. DMax would be nice for many reasons, but 40-50K to have it done? No way. If you want more power do a 402 or 408 stroker with your 6.0 block. Throw some L92 heads on it and add a TVS2300.

guruerror 08-24-2010 10:30 PM

Has anyone stroked their Vortec? If so, how many (and what kind of) miles have you put on your truck since and what feedback do you have?

Power...acceleration...sound...feel...mpg...anythi ng...

Thanks in advance.

Stellar 08-25-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Has anyone stroked their Vortec? If so, how many (and what kind of) miles have you put on your truck since and what feedback do you have?

Power...acceleration...sound...feel...mpg...anythi ng...

Thanks in advance.

Interested as well. I haven't seen a lot of feedback on heads / cam packages. :popcorn:

Scarsman 08-25-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Has anyone stroked their Vortec?

Well, sometimes on a nice evening I'll pop the hood and - Oh! You mean like on the inside, uh, I mean, ...

Come on! Someone had to say it! :jump:

guruerror 08-25-2010 01:28 AM

lol...i knew it was coming... :)

guruerror 08-25-2010 01:37 AM

lol...i knew it was coming... :)

THIS GOT OFF TOPIC.

I'M GONNA START A NEW THREAD.