Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Sunroof Leaks and Keyless Entry (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16751)

DrFeelgood 05-13-2006 11:17 PM

Sunroof Leaks and Keyless Entry

G'Day Everybody,

Tried searching for H3 sunroof leak posts, but only came up with H2 ones.

Been pooring down rain here last 3 days, went to the store and noticed sunroof was leaking in the rear passenger corner. Tried opening / closing several times, but still a constant drip.

Is there a fix / adjustment or something to stop this.

Also, some days my remote control just doesn't want to lock or unlock the car. Random, sometimes for a tay or so, sometimes just one off, all differant locations. eg: at home, the mall, work.

Anybody else experiencing these issues.

Regards
Doc

killian 05-14-2006 02:25 AM

Re: Sunroof Leaks and Keyless Entry

No sunroof problems but the keyless entry thing is a regular issue for me.

I use my remote a minimum of six times a day, every day. It started out only giving me problems once or twice a week. Most times it works, but lately it seems to fail once a day.

I've tried buying new batteries, new remotes and reprograming but have had no changes. It can be a pain sometimes.

HUMTECH 05-14-2006 02:53 AM

Subject:Info - Remote Keyless Entry Operational Characteristics #99-08-52-005B - (01/10/2006)

Models:1997-2006 All Passenger Cars and Trucks
2003-2006 HUMMER H2
2006 HUMMER H3
2005-2006 Saab 9-7X
with Remote Keyless Entry

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-52-005A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
The following information regarding Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) operation may be given to customers as needed.
The General Motors RKE systems operate on high frequency radio signals. Therefore, they may be subject to radio signal interference which will affect RKE operation. Some of the typical conditions which result in reduced RKE transmitter operation are listed below.
? If on the second press of the unlock button, all doors are not unlocked, it may be due to the time delay needed by the system to recognize the second press of the unlock button. In order to unlock all doors, press the unlock button once, pause 1-2 seconds and press the unlock button the second time.

Important: There needs to be a pause between button presses so that the receiver can properly process the signal from the transmitter.

? For many 2006 car lines, the trunk release button requires a press and hold before the trunk lid will release.

? Line of sight. The transmitter signal may be obstructed by obstacles; another vehicle, building or other obstructions in the line of sight.

? Proximity to radio towers, airports, police and fire towers.

? The presence of fluorescent lighting.

? Installation of some aftermarket accessories have been known to affect the RKE performance as well.

- Some brands of radar detectors, CB radios, walkie talkies, mobile radios, cell phone chargers and cell phones (especially 3-watt bag phones which are placed on the floor of the vehicle) have jammed the radio frequencies of the RKE system.
- Remember, these devices do not have to be in the customer's vehicle. They may be in another vehicle which is in close proximity. However, if the customer has one of these devices in their vehicle and if the RKE system works with these aftermarket devices unplugged, refer the customer to the aftermarket supplier. The aftermarket device may not meet the requirements of the FCC Code.
If the customer comments that the remote transmitter fails to operate, press each button on the transmitter one at a time while observing the vehicle systems.
? If only the fuel door (Cadillac), or panic button (all other vehicles) works, or the transmitter fails to operated, re-synchronize the system, following the transmitter synchronization procedure found in the Keyless Entry sub-section of Body & Accessories in the Service Manual. If the RKE system is auto-synchronized, reprogram the transmitter following the procedures in the Keyless Entry sub-section of SI.

? DO NOT REPLACE ANY COMPONENTS.

Important: Re-synchronization must be performed if the following conditions exist:

- The batteries of the keyless entry transmitter have been replaced.
- A keyless entry transmitter is malfunctioning.
If all of the transmitter buttons fail to function, check the battery and transmitter using tester J 43241. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 83-90-12.
? If the transmitter passes the test, program the RKE system following the procedures in the Keyless Entry sub-section of Body & Accessories in the Service Manual.

Important: Remember when programming the system, all transmitters for the vehicle must be present for the programming to be successful.

? On many 2006 vehicle lines, RKE transmitter commands can be viewed using a scan tool (under RCDLR, Data Displays).

? If the transmitter fails the test with the tester J 43241, replace the batteries and retest the transmitter using the tester J 43241. If the transmitter still fails the test, replace the transmitter.
THE FOLLOWING CLAIM TYPES ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE VEHICLE WARRANTY:
? The battery is considered a consumable battery and is covered for the first 12 months only. Refer to "Maintenance" in the In-Vehicle Warranty Booklet. Battery life is determined by the number of times a pad on the transmitter has been used, not by time or mileage and as such, battery replacement would be considered owner maintenance (i.e. batteries in a flash light, engine oil changes).

? Transmitter replacement when all buttons work, using the tester J 43241, as outlined in Corporate Bulletin Number 83-90-12.

? Personalization programming through the DIC or Tech 2?.

? Lost/replacement transmitter reprogramming.

? Used car transmitter replacement programming.

? Transmitter damage due to misuse, such as any liquid spilled on/in the transmitter or damage from animals chewing on the transmitter, etc.

? Broken transmitter cases where the key ring attaches to the case. If the case is broken in this area, it is due to mounting the transmitter direct to the key ring without the protection of the small ring. The small ring acts like a universal joint/flex joint and helps protect the transmitter from this type of damage. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-52-003 for EXCEPTIONS to this rule.

? Garage door opener programming.

HUMTECH 05-14-2006 02:59 AM

As for the water leak I would check to see if all the sunroof drain hoses are connected to the sunroof module. There at the front and 2 at the rear. Also you can open the sunrood and pour water into the water chanels to see if the drain hoses are not kinked or blocked. Just need to lower headliner A little in order to inspect hoses.

DrFeelgood 05-14-2006 04:22 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I will check hoses to sunroof. I was definitely worried if I had to worry about water leaking into the car and causing some sort of water stain or damage.

Is there a way to adjust the way it closes ?

As for the keyless entry thing, I read that document you posted a couple of times, but (LoL) still can't figure out if I am just supposed to put up with it or there is a fix.

Thanks

Doc

f5fstop 05-14-2006 05:37 PM

Make sure you are waiting for the BCM to react to the remote, before pushing more buttons as said in the bulletin. If you are, then have the dealer test it. I will say from experience, you have to be close if approaching the vehicle from the driver's side of the vehicle or from the rear. From the front or passenger side, the remote has a greater range. This is due to the BCM, which receives the signals, being in the front right passenger area.
Have you tried both remotes? If so, does this happen with both, or just one remote? Does it happen only in certain areas? (Some areas with a lot of RFI can affect a remote. Per FCC regs, a remote on a vehicle is as low as you can go on the interference. In other words, the remote has to give away to any other type of radio frequencies in the area. It cannot interfere with another frequency generator of any type.
For the leak, I suggest a dealer before taking anything apart. If the leak caused any damage to the headliner or any other interior parts, it will be covered under warranty, as well as the repair of the leak itself. When the vehicle is in for the sunroof, have the dealer test out the remote.
You should not have to put up with a non-working remote.

RIC-H0 05-14-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
- Some brands of radar detectors, CB radios, walkie talkies, mobile radios, cell phone chargers and cell phones (especially 3-watt bag phones which are placed on the floor of the vehicle) have jammed the radio frequencies of the RKE system.

Didn't know Bag Phones still existed!:D

f5fstop 05-14-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIC-H0
Didn't know Bag Phones still existed!:D

:D
That bulletin has been around for a while, and just recently updated. Those big 3-watt cell phones in bags, used to screw up Cassette players too. (Anyone got one of those?)

NEOCON1 05-14-2006 08:37 PM

i stuck one of them lil cassette things in my 8-trac :D im still tryin to fish it out :eek: ;)

DrFeelgood 05-17-2006 03:00 AM

Thanks Mate, I will keep everything you said in mind (especially water damage and warrenty info). I will talk to dealer next time I am there, but with this 1 dealer per state setup, my dealer is 40 minutes away, a little bit of a pain in the butt.

As for other questions:
Yes tried both remotes - changed batteries - etc
No - No bag phone or any such thing.
At home - near airpot, maybe possibility of radio interferance.
But, does not work in random places / times with or without interferance
I can be two feet away still doesnt work

Lol -> the latest discovery I have made is, if the remote isn't working, give it a couple of sharp taps and bingo, works again.

Doc

k9tim 05-17-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Thanks Mate, I will keep everything you said in mind (especially water damage and warrenty info). I will talk to dealer next time I am there, but with this 1 dealer per state setup, my dealer is 40 minutes away, a little bit of a pain in the butt.

As for other questions:
Yes tried both remotes - changed batteries - etc
No - No bag phone or any such thing.
At home - near airpot, maybe possibility of radio interferance.
But, does not work in random places / times with or without interferance
I can be two feet away still doesnt work

Lol -> the latest discovery I have made is, if the remote isn't working, give it a couple of sharp taps and bingo, works again.

Doc

It is Radio Interference. Mine does it too.
I started noticing that every once in a while when I went to the grocery store my keyless died on me. I figured out that if I park in a specific part of the parking lot they never worked. 20 feet away in another spot they work fine.
I am guessing it's either a neon sign or possibly a microwave that isnt in the best of shape. I don't know what frequency the key fobs run at and I havent put them on my freq counter but I am guessing around 900MHz.

On another note, if I'm feeling cruel (I would never do this ;) ) if I am driving thru a parking lot I can transmit on my 2meter radio pushing 50watts and without fail I will set off car alarms.
Kind of like radio interference, but more of a front end overload on the alarms.

Really freaks people out :)

HUMTECH 05-18-2006 07:12 AM

Also be careful about Bag Ladies, I hear they still carry bag phones, will play with your bag for money, or will try to steal your bag for money, and if you had A bag of money, It's gone.:D

atomicsedo 08-23-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
As for the water leak I would check to see if all the sunroof drain hoses are connected to the sunroof module. There at the front and 2 at the rear. Also you can open the sunrood and pour water into the water chanels to see if the drain hoses are not kinked or blocked. Just need to lower headliner A little in order to inspect hoses.

How do you unblock one of the drain hoses, left front causes water run over into the drivers side?

atomicsedo 08-23-2007 10:17 PM

Can you get to the bottom end of the drain ? I don't see any hoses hanging down. I ran a piece of wire down to about the windshield but it wouldn't go any further.

fourfourto 08-24-2007 12:27 AM

Try to blow it out with compressed air. That should do it :D
Or bring it to the dealer

lennyrebel 08-24-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killian
No sunroof problems but the keyless entry thing is a regular issue for me.

I use my remote a minimum of six times a day, every day. It started out only giving me problems once or twice a week. Most times it works, but lately it seems to fail once a day.

I've tried buying new batteries, new remotes and reprograming but have had no changes. It can be a pain sometimes.

So plant a little flower in a pot where the water drips and open the doors with the key like a man sheesh. just noticed your an h3er-- it figures- whine whine--you didn't buy an H2 you know