Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   1997.5 H1 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34710)

mikracer 07-08-2008 05:43 PM

1997.5 H1

I have an opportunity to buy a 97.5 H1 (6.5 Turbo Diesel) wagon for less than current trade in value. I was able to get the vin warranty history and it does not show the motor being replaced within the first 36,000 miles. The wagon has 81,xxx miles on it now and is in pretty decent shape. My question is, should I feel confident that this motor wont blow its #8, or should I wait for another H1 that has verification that the motor has been replaced?

Thanks for your help!

brad_p 07-08-2008 08:54 PM

Re: 1997.5 H1

How much they want for it?

audiofetish 07-08-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikracer
I have an opportunity to buy a 97.5 H1 (6.5 Turbo Diesel) wagon for less than current trade in value. I was able to get the vin warranty history and it does not show the motor being replaced within the first 36,000 miles. The wagon has 81,xxx miles on it now and is in pretty decent shape. My question is, should I feel confident that this motor wont blow its #8, or should I wait for another H1 that has verification that the motor has been replaced?

Thanks for your help!

With 81k miles I wouldn't worry at all. Usually, again usually, they die within the first 30k or so. I have seen some go higher but it isn't likely at all. What is the asking price? Any upgrades?

brad_p 07-08-2008 09:56 PM

Yeh if you dont snatch this one im sure audio will.

mikracer 07-08-2008 10:44 PM

It has the GC package, winch, and ctis. I actually decided to pass on this one because I saw a newer one with leather (alpha interior) that is outside the questionable engine range. The 97.5 wagon needed some other work that made me hesitate. But the final selling price would have been 29k. I'm now looking to get a newer one in the 40-50k range (one without #8 problems).

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully I'll be on here soon as an owner!

BigKofJustice 07-08-2008 11:57 PM

The #8 wouldn't scare me at that price. I could get a new engine replaced for about 7-8 grand, so to spend another 20k to dodge the #8 doesn't seem worth it if everything else is in good shape.

I wound up with a 98 that had all sorts of stuff replaced within the last few years [engine, trans, differentials,etc] so I wound up with a truck that had a fairly new drive train, but I wound up having to fix small things on my own,some new interior pieces here and there, etc.

In other words I'd buy moderate to high mileage turbo truck around the 30k mark no problem if everything else checked out.

brad_p 07-09-2008 01:47 PM

So your going with an 04?

audiofetish 07-09-2008 03:58 PM

You won't be able to find an 04 for less than 60k. 04 is the first year of the new interior.

mikracer 07-09-2008 06:18 PM

How soft do you think the market is right now with these H1's? It seems like any full size SUV (Escalade, Tahoe, etc.) are selling below KBB. I would think the H1's would be greatly under KBB since they arent gas friendly and everyone is hating on them right now.

Also, do you think the 04 will hold value better than a 97.5 or 98?

Thanks for all the input. Im pretty new to the H1 world, so any and all info is appreciated.

audiofetish 07-09-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

How soft do you think the market is right now with these H1's? It seems like any full size SUV (Escalade, Tahoe, etc.) are selling below KBB. I would think the H1's would be greatly under KBB since they arent gas friendly and everyone is hating on them right now.

Also, do you think the 04 will hold value better than a 97.5 or 98?

Thanks for all the input. Im pretty new to the H1 world, so any and all info is appreciated.

Because an H1 is a collector?s item they are not going down nearly as much as H2s, Escalades, and such. They have come down but not a whole lot. 04s and 06s will hold the highest value out of the entire line. They didn't make many of them. 04s will probably remain one of the highest because only 252 were made. Out of any Hummer they are my favorite! I had considered consolidating and getting an 04 but I like having 2 right now:notallthere:.

mikracer 07-09-2008 08:20 PM

Haha. Having two would be great! So looks like I should be keeping my eye out for an 04. The alphas are too expensive and the main thing I like about them is the updated interior. I guess as long as I know that the values wont tank like other SUV's, it would be a good buy. With the way Escalades are dropping, I'm scared to set foot on a Cadillac dealership...even with their crazy incentives!

audiofetish 07-09-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Haha. Having two would be great! So looks like I should be keeping my eye out for an 04. The alphas are too expensive and the main thing I like about them is the updated interior. I guess as long as I know that the values wont tank like other SUV's, it would be a good buy. With the way Escalades are dropping, I'm scared to set foot on a Cadillac dealership...even with their crazy incentives!

I got lucky. I sold my H2 at the end of Feb. I took a loss but not as bad as I would have now. The only good thing is someone that couldn't afford a truck like an H2 can finally get one! I sure do miss the H2s ride!

mikracer 07-11-2008 11:33 PM

So besides the newer ac/heater controls, what distinguishes a 97 from a 97.5? Also, do the 97.5's have the easier setup for alignment, or do all 97 models have the shim system? Is there a way to check for it?

The quest to get a 97.5 is actually alive again. The one I originally was thinking about getting is still available. Again, its got 81k miles with no documentation of it getting its motor replaced, but from what people have said, it shouldnt be a problem this late in the game. I'll probably run a block test kit on it to see if theres any exhaust gasses in the radiator. If that checks out, then I guess I can feel somewhat comfortable that it should be fine.

mikracer 07-12-2008 12:18 AM

One thing I should note is that I drove it around for about 5-10 miles and after I brought it back on the lot, I wanted to check under the hood. I tried to open the overflow tank and there was a lot of pressure built up. So much that I barely cracked it and it sprayed out. I didnt try to open it anymore after that. I know that hot motors will have pressure, but wanted to know if it should be that much in the overflow. I never looked under the hood and didnt even see where the radiator was.

audiofetish 07-14-2008 01:04 PM

H1s use a completely pressurized coolant system. There are actually 2 bleed screws in the lines to bleed the air out. Don't worry so much about the pressure. You need to look for foaming. I would also get one of those kits that you suggested. Again, with 81k miles I wouldn't worry at all. It is almost unheard of to have a #8 block after 50k miles. Many true Hummer off roaders consider the 97 1/2 to be one of the best H1 years made.

mikracer 07-14-2008 04:47 PM

Good to know about that pressurized system. I'll have to check out that bleed line and see if it foams out. But when you say foam, are you talking about just bubbles, or something different?

Also, is there anything else about a 97.5 thats blatant to look for? I know the AC controls are the newer ones, but how else can you tell?

ssgharkness020147 07-14-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Good to know about that pressurized system. I'll have to check out that bleed line and see if it foams out. But when you say foam, are you talking about just bubbles, or something different?

Also, is there anything else about a 97.5 thats blatant to look for? I know the AC controls are the newer ones, but how else can you tell?

With the truck cold; fire it up for one minute then shut it down. Crack the radiator fill cap you should get a quick short burst of air, maybe with a small amount bubbling. If there is alot of pressure, say more than two seconds it would be wise to investigate further.

audiofetish 07-14-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
With the truck cold; fire it up for one minute then shut it down. Crack the radiator fill cap you should get a quick short burst of air, maybe with a small amount bubbling. If there is alot of pressure, say more than two seconds it would be wise to investigate further.

ssgharkness explained a lot better than I did. Not much else really sticks out with 97s. Check out this page http://flashoffroad.com/humdefault.htm. Also humvee.net is a great place for H1 answers. It specializes in H1s and HMMWVs.

Also,
I am assuming you are looking at the red wagon in San Luis Obispo. If so I am sure there are members of humvee.net that are in that area that would love to go and look at the truck with you. Where are you located? I am originally from Thousand Oaks

mikracer 07-15-2008 07:23 PM

Yeah, thats the one. I'm in Santa Maria so I'm pretty close to it. I'll check out the wesites you mentioned to see if there are any skilled H1 inspectors that would want to go check it out.

Thanks!

JustinOK 07-16-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

The VIN! .......76477 and up are 97.5s!

From Lynch's site:
The first "1997.5" has a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of VE176477 (last 8 digits). Changes for 1997.5 included a much improved HVAC system that was both much more efficient and easier to service and the new Monsoon stereo system with overhead console.

http://www.lynchhummer.com/changes/h...ges/97/97.html