Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Roading (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Azusa Canyon OHV? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20238)

Off Camber 09-07-2006 04:03 PM

Azusa Canyon OHV?

I?m looking for a little feedback on Azusa Canyon?s OHV. Is it mild enough for the eager novice or could a guy really get his ass in a sling?

H2Finally 09-08-2006 12:32 AM

Re: Azusa Canyon OHV?

Azusa doesn't really have a "trail" per se. You chose what you want to do/tackle all along the canyon. There are some crazy sections, but in general pretty mild. Call to fame is the large mud bog (only one in LA county) -- which imho, the Hummers are NOT meant for (too heavy).

Off Camber 09-09-2006 05:38 PM

Thanks for your take, I?m anxious to see what this bad boy is capable of but at the same time I?m not looking to become a statistic either.

H2Finally 09-09-2006 07:07 PM

After the fires have died down, Gorman is a much better destination. Literally hundreds of short trails everywhere. If you don't like the look of one, go to the next.

The Hummer will surprise you greatly. Most likely you'll run out of skill long before the Hummer's capabilities. As long as you have basic common sense (like don't go sideways when you're at a steep incline, etc.. ;)), you'll have so much more fun than just driving to and from the mall! :D

Off Camber 09-09-2006 08:24 PM

This H2 was a total impulse buy. I had stopped by my local Chevrolet/Hummer dealer on the way home to check out the new body style Tahoe?s and wandered over to the Hummer store where I happened upon this immaculate 03 with plenty of bells and whistles. Weak salesman + weaker sales manager divided by an extremely sharp negotiator (GSM in the RV industry for several years which I disclosed after the contract was signed of course) = H2 in the driveway.

I?ve owned/built several high horsepower sports cars and have brought each one of them to task on our local road courses Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, etc. Truth be told, it?s getting a little old. So the natural progression from on road is off road. I?m not sure if the H2 is the right platform for a beginner but it?s capabilities are what have seduced me to the point of ownership.

H2Finally 09-09-2006 09:02 PM

You sounded like one owner that will soon be bitten by the H2 bug; which symptoms include grinning like an idiot everytime you're out in the garage, especially when your brand new truck is covered in mud and (minor) battle scars, spending 4+ hours on a Sunday afternoon sitting on the floor power washing the undercarriage, engine bay, washing, waxing, armoralling all the trims.. and starring in awe as MORE brown water dribble out of the corners of the bumper... :D

If you have some basic off-road skills, there is a quick trip to 2N17X Saturday 16th, details here. NOT a beginner's trail, but very very fun, and good spotters to keep you out of (major) trouble. Caution: minor brush rakes are VERY likely (common in 99.99% of all SoCal trails).

ROADNOTCA 10-13-2006 02:51 AM

The authorities conducted an equipment check/round-up some 5 or 6 weeks ago, which may have made the place more appealing. I think with our kind of luxo wheels, they'd be happy to see us. Pirate4X4 may have some thread on it.