Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Use of Air to power lug wrench (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42941)

Ken Bowers 10-04-2012 05:59 PM

Use of Air to power lug wrench

I have a 2003 Hummer H2 with an air compressor and a hose that reaches all four tires. I want to use this air supply to clean air filters (house and car) and I want to have a lug wrench that will remove and install tire lugs. (It would even be great to have a vehicle hoist powered by this air source.)

Has anyone done any of this? Where can I buy the attachments?

Ken B

NJ H2 10-04-2012 06:09 PM

Re: Use of Air to power lug wrench

:raar: No ... you can't have it :giggling:

[__--MUD--__] 10-04-2012 10:05 PM

I highly doubt the stock compressor has enough nuts to even think about torquing lugnuts, let alone the volume required to run air tools

I'm putting a full airsystem on my rig- engine driven air compressor, 12 gallon tank mounted up behind the rear bumper, 50' sealed/retractable hose.

twinmill28 10-05-2012 01:37 PM

The stock air compressor is good for blowing up beach balls and inflatable dolls*, but that's about it.
I've used it to air up at the end of trail runs and the fittings at the truck were so hot you could barely touch them---plus it was pretty slow to fill the tires back up. You might be able to fill an air tank and try to use that for your air tools, but I really think you'd be better off getting a set-up built for this purpose.

* Don't ask me about the inflatable dolls, sometimes it's just stuff that people know, ok?

guruerror 10-05-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
I highly doubt the stock compressor has enough nuts to even think about torquing lugnuts, let alone the volume required to run air tools

I'm putting a full airsystem on my rig- engine driven air compressor, 12 gallon tank mounted up behind the rear bumper, 50' sealed/retractable hose.

What about a kegerator? You should put that on your list...a cold beer is always good after changing a tire with your airtools on the trail. LOL!

:beerchug:

tomp 10-05-2012 03:23 PM

Stock setup is for beach balls, etc.

Get an aftermarket setup for air tools

guruerror 10-05-2012 04:33 PM

Nice! :beerchug:

pdxrealtor 10-07-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bowers
I have a 2003 Hummer H2 with an air compressor and a hose that reaches all four tires. I want to use this air supply to clean air filters (house and car) and I want to have a lug wrench that will remove and install tire lugs. (It would even be great to have a vehicle hoist powered by this air source.)

Has anyone done any of this? Where can I buy the attachments?

Ken B

Are you even serious?

Tomp..... Nice setup!

HummerMann 10-07-2012 01:17 PM

The stock unit doesn't put out enough volume or pressure for air powered tools. I don't even like it for reairing the tires after offroading and have the Mickey Thompson portable plug in for that. The factory unit is OK for the air suspension and beach balls, but that's about it. If you air down your tires it takes a long time to air them back up. Putting in an air compressor was a good idea by Hummer, but they should have gone one step further and put in a better (more expensive and powerful) one.

Ken Bowers 10-10-2012 12:26 AM

OK, I surrender. I will give this idea up. Thanks for saving me some money and time.

I am new to this type of vehicle: I am not even sure what the transfer case does!

guruerror 10-10-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

OK, I surrender. I will give this idea up. Thanks for saving me some money and time.

I am new to this type of vehicle: I am not even sure what the transfer case does!

It 'transfers' money from your bank account into the gas tank. It's one of the most efficient models I've EVER seen.

LOL

twinmill28 10-10-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

I am not even sure what the transfer case does!

It makes you think you've got a big "S" on your chest and that you can do impossible things!
Wait'll THAT particular line of thinking leads you to learning what the tow hooks can do!

guruerror 02-10-2016 09:39 PM

I finally got around to figuring out that this mod was for me...going with this exact same VIAIR setup.

TOMP...if you're still around, I'm glad you posted this all those years ago. Very nicely done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp
Stock setup is for beach balls, etc.

Get an aftermarket setup for air tools