Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Alpha's cast iron front diff.... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30290)

justforfun 10-10-2007 02:28 PM

The Alpha's cast iron front diff....

Will it fit the 3.5 / 3.7 H3's ? - if so, when can we order??

My front diff went around 3mths ago, got it replaced under warranty, BUT it had a whine coming from it which the dealer "couldn't hear" (6 times) until I took it for a service - asked them to look, and hey presto the replacement THEY fitted was daffy ducked :twak: seems like when they installed the "new" diff, they used the original casing(??), which obviously had flexed to the point it doesn't line up - so here I am waiting for another 2 weeks (diff ordered from the US) to get the car back :rant:

Mind they gave me loaner H3 which is getting ahem.... used

Cheers
JFF

fourfourto 10-10-2007 02:40 PM

Re: The Alpha's cast iron front diff....

I dont think it would be a simple swap,the cast diff is 411 gears we have 456 gears in the 5 cyl H3's.
I guess if replaced as a set (front/rear diff ) it might work but it would be costly and changing to a lower gear could change performance/ MPG.
The 456 gears might be able to be used in the cast diff housing ?If so that be the best way.

Auggie Mathis 10-10-2007 03:26 PM

Yes it will fit just fine. I have done this to my sons truck. Just order the cast iron diff housing and you can put the 456 gears from the old one into the new one. Its a easy swap.

Desert Dan 10-10-2007 05:54 PM

Auggie Mathis-Good Job
Maybe you should start a diff swap service

Auggie Mathis 10-10-2007 08:08 PM

Now I just need to find a locker that will fit in there.

Desert Dan 10-10-2007 08:40 PM

Maybe ARB will make a locker for the front?

HummBebe 10-10-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auggie Mathis
Now I just need to find a locker that will fit in there.

Try the rear one :shhh:

Auggie Mathis 10-10-2007 09:45 PM

I tried this morning to make the rear work in the front. It is to large to fit in and the splines are different. If you have any other ideas let me know. Is there any trick that i am missing?Arb is still a ways from making one.

justforfun 10-11-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Yes it will fit just fine. I have done this to my sons truck. Just order the cast iron diff housing and you can put the 456 gears from the old one into the new one. Its a easy swap.

:dancingbanana:

Great, will ask the dealer today if they can order one.... and if they have any workshop staff actually capable of doing it properly :crying:

Bit of history on that one :rant:

Cheers
JFF :beerchug:

H3slate 10-11-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Do you have the part # for the cast iron front diff? Any pics of your install?

Desert Dan 10-11-2007 09:25 PM

I wonder if you can order it with the diff gears and carrier inside ready to bolt in. Then it would be an easy install.

Auggie Mathis 10-11-2007 10:06 PM

The housing part # is 15920599. Sorry i did not take any pics. And no you cant order it with non alpha gears.

Desert Dan 10-11-2007 10:33 PM

So is the casting identcial?
Does everything bolt right on?

HummBebe 10-11-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

I tried this morning to make the rear work in the front. It is to large to fit in and the splines are different. If you have any other ideas let me know. Is there any trick that i am missing?Arb is still a ways from making one.

Did you try the 4:56 rear or the 4:10 rear?

Auggie Mathis 10-11-2007 11:00 PM

Yes the casting is the same its bolts right on. And i tried 4.56 gears

Desert Dan 10-11-2007 11:11 PM

Cool

I could bolt in the axle houseing but I don't feel comfortable setting up a diff and ring gears.

RuggedH2 10-11-2007 11:38 PM

I thought that this cast iron housing was the one originally built for the ZR2 Blazer, it was being brought back specifically for this application.

You only need the housing, you should already have the ring and pinion. ;)

3Hummer 10-12-2007 04:02 AM

i would like to do this to mine too if it isnt to costly, anyone have an approximate price?

HummBebe 10-12-2007 06:23 AM

It's a little more complicated than that. And without photo's, I reluctantly want to call BS on Auggie. I know enough to be dangerous, so you should know more....cough up the pics:D

HummBebe 10-12-2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03H3
I thought that this cast iron housing was the one originally built for the ZR2 Blazer, it was being brought back specifically for this application.

You only need the housing, you should already have the ring and pinion. ;)

Yes, but they stopped production in 2003. I'm sure it's been redesigned as well. So technically, the application is the same, but the actual housing is different.