Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dirty Air Filter ? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10178)

3D Guy 10-06-2003 03:53 PM

I have had my H2 for a little over two months and have done three full day off road trips.
Each time my rig has been covered with dirt and mud from top to bottom. Fine dust is ever ware on the inside and the engine compartment is covered with dirt and fine dust as well. After spending hours and three fist full of quarters to clean the beast, a question has come to mind.
Should I take apart the air filter and blow it out ?. I would think that it’s got to be ugly by now.

What do you think ?

.................................................. ........
That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong......... NOT!!

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod

3D Guy 10-06-2003 03:53 PM

I have had my H2 for a little over two months and have done three full day off road trips.
Each time my rig has been covered with dirt and mud from top to bottom. Fine dust is ever ware on the inside and the engine compartment is covered with dirt and fine dust as well. After spending hours and three fist full of quarters to clean the beast, a question has come to mind.
Should I take apart the air filter and blow it out ?. I would think that it’s got to be ugly by now.

What do you think ?

Albie 10-06-2003 04:03 PM

Mundy, just crack that thing open and look.

3D Guy 10-06-2003 06:32 PM

OK..... ya, I though that this was going to be a stupid question.

DURAMAX TIM 10-07-2003 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am at work but I think the H2 has a filter minder, in the pic above look at the little round tube coming off of the plenum between the bellows and the 'Vortec' on the intake cover.
The filter minder goes from clear to yellow to red as the filter is restricting the airflow more.
U push on the end cap to reset.
This should be covered in the manual.

DURAMAX TIM 10-07-2003 08:02 AM

I must have done something WRONG, I got a pic to post finally.

H2 Maverick 10-08-2003 12:21 PM

3D Guy you can look at the filter but it probably won't need any service and definately do not try to blow it out. We ran the H2 race truck across 500 miles of the dustiest course Nevada has to offer and truck was still breathing fine with production air cleaner.

DRTYFN 10-08-2003 12:40 PM

3D,
3 full days of even SUPER dusty driving usually won't do much to coat your filter with dust.
Open the filter housing and inspect the filter. Take it out and tap it on the ground to knock off any loose dust. DO NOT BLOW IT OUT WITH AN AIR HOSE!!! You'll destroy the filter. If anything, use a shop-vac and vacuum the outside of the filter.

ZeroTolerance 10-08-2003 12:46 PM

If you replace the stock filter with the Airaid filter then you can wash it out and then blow the water off, replace the outer oily coating and you are in business again.. Try that with a stock filter, it will cake and come apart.. Replace the stock filter as soon as you can, you will see an improvement too..

DRTYFN 10-08-2003 01:01 PM

Zero,
Like I just said DON'T USE COMPRESSED AIR!!! It destroys the filter medium. I've seen guys ruin K&N filters by trying to speed up the drying process by blowing them out with an air hose.

ZeroTolerance 10-08-2003 02:21 PM

Do it all the time with all the filters that I have and never had any issues. Thanks though

3D Guy 10-08-2003 03:10 PM

Hey gang
Thanks for the great feedback.
I ask the dumb question because I had a feeling that it might not be as simple as open it up, blow it off or use a shop-vac.

Thanks again and I have been thinking of the Airaid filter. I understand the key is "Air in and Air out"