Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Tie Rod (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323)

ChasH3 04-19-2007 05:56 PM

Tie Rod

I have called three dealers and each one tells me that there is no tie rods available in stock and there is no time frame when they will be available from GM....:twak:

HummBebe 04-19-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Tie Rod

Do you just want and extra?

Desert Dan 04-19-2007 06:32 PM

I want to get extras too.

Maybe make a reinforcement sleeve too?

Ary there any HD after market ones out there yet?

HummBebe 04-19-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
I want to get extras too.

Maybe make a reinforcement sleeve too?

Ary there any HD after market ones out there yet?

Nope.

Crash ? 04-19-2007 06:44 PM

I kinda thought Hunner mighta been getting the run around a month or so back when he was looking for a spare set and the dealer told him the only ones showing in inventory nationwide were somewhere in Texas.. He drove there and bought 'em...

ChasH3 04-19-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummBebe
Do you just want and extra?

Yep, just want an extra one... I have one extra right now.... but I was wanting to purchase one more...

Hunner 04-19-2007 08:44 PM

I got three outers and 2 inners before the pond dryed up! My dealer somehow ordered two outers instead of a set. One came from Alaska and one nut from Ms and two from timbucktoo Im hangin on to them. I'm thinkin of puttin them in a glass case, you know like a fire extinguisher, in case of emergency, break glass! I ordered some from GM parts direct two months ago and they said it was a nationwide backorder. Need to fire some inventory guy that makes the most money and wears a tie that cuts off oxygen to the brain up in the big house at GM.
The one I bought at Sewell they charged me $110 American dollars. Do people in Dallas put up with that daily? I bought one for 45 online and from my dealer 65. Old college addage in marketing, what the traffic will bear.............I had the feeling it was gonna happen. I started out wanting an extra to carry along way out in Sedona, Moab, Long Ranch and Colorado. Then when I found out how scarce they were I decided I needed two. Now I got two and 1/2! Hope I never need them but after driving 1400+ miles I thought maybe it would be nice to have one.
I needed a spare for R&D
Just another H3 story..............

Desert Dan 04-19-2007 09:00 PM

That is crazy what if your are stuck in BFE waiting for parts?

I have to figure out what thread size I have first but I gues I'll put my order in and wait.

I wonder if there are any off brands (none GM OEM) that would do.

inked 04-19-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunner
I got three outers and 2 inners before the pond dryed up! My dealer somehow ordered two outers instead of a set. One came from Alaska and one nut from Ms and two from timbucktoo Im hangin on to them. I'm thinkin of puttin them in a glass case, you know like a fire extinguisher, in case of emergency, break glass! I ordered some from GM parts direct two months ago and they said it was a nationwide backorder. Need to fire some inventory guy that makes the most money and wears a tie that cuts off oxygen to the brain up in the big house at GM.
The one I bought at Sewell they charged me $110 American dollars. Do people in Dallas put up with that daily? I bought one for 45 online and from my dealer 65. Old college addage in marketing, what the traffic will bear.............I had the feeling it was gonna happen. I started out wanting an extra to carry along way out in Sedona, Moab, Long Ranch and Colorado. Then when I found out how scarce they were I decided I needed two. Now I got two and 1/2! Hope I never need them but after driving 1400+ miles I thought maybe it would be nice to have one.
I needed a spare for R&D
Just another H3 story..............

So how much would you sell me one inner tierod? ;)

Damn man, spoke with a friend at the dealership and he said GM will send out a nationwide bulletin on the 25th on when, where, and who will get thier shipments first.

This sucks!! I need one NOW!!! Anyone who is willing to sell it to me let me know!

Thanks!

HummBebe 04-19-2007 10:18 PM

If I don't need mine after Sunday's wheeling trip. I will fed ex it to you monday.....howssat?

When you get yours in, ship it to me and we'll be even.

inked 04-20-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

If I don't need mine after Sunday's wheeling trip. I will fed ex it to you monday.....howssat?

When you get yours in, ship it to me and we'll be even.

That sounds like a deal!! Mine should be coming in sometime in May...be careful on Sunday's run ;)

HummBebe 04-20-2007 02:48 AM

So I just picked up my truck from my Uber Fabulous Dealership.

Had the Steering rack replaced and guess what?????

IT CAME WITH NEW TIERODS:jump:

So now I have a new snappy pair of BLACK tie rods on:giggling:

inked 04-20-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Lucky you! :D

CrisB 04-20-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Didja get to keep the old ones?

I came out to Moab with an inner & outer tie rod curtesy of my dealership on loan, and promptly bought them as soon as I returned. They said May before any deliveries, thought I'd snap 'em up while I had them in my hands!

HummBebe 04-20-2007 04:06 AM

Nope, warranty replacement of the Rack = tie rods attached go back to GM.:o

ChasH3 04-20-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

What was going on with your H3 that had them replace the steering rack????

Hunner 04-20-2007 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is black stronger? I may paint mine?? HUh? In case you have not seen them apart............
Is it the inner one you flying Hummers are bending or braking?? Im taking a set to a friends front end shop and compare them to a full size Chevy PU. Bebe are they ones you got beefier or just black? You actually racked the rack?? Did it make the steering wheel all crooked? Gotta be a story here. I gotta be next, Murphy is lurkin in the woods.

ChasH3 04-20-2007 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a little bit of a mod on my tie rod.... So actually I have two tie rods... One new and one welded back together... Hopefully, if I get another complete tie rod.. I would like to put the welded one in a vice and see how much trouble it would be to break the weld.... But in a pinch it would get me or another friendly H3 off the trail....

HummBebe 04-20-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasH3
What was going on with your H3 that had them replace the steering rack????

There was a tear in the boot and the pump was leaking. We thought it was the A/C compressor, but it tested fine.

No story though, I could make one up, but it started leaking in Eureka Nevada, and we had it checked in Ely. The guys at a local oil change place thought it was the A/C compressor, so they pulled the plug on it and sent me down the road to Moab.

Poor Sewie had oil all over the front of his truck :giggling:

Anyway, it was making a nasty groaning noise in the mornings when it was really cold out, 32 or below since January, but because they could not reproduce the noise, or find a leak in the system, (they put dye in it back in Jan and tested the system) they said it was fine. Well, it wasn't.

So the new racks come with new tie rods I guess. All assembled. :)

I noticed no symptoms other than the noise.

inked 04-20-2007 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasH3
I did a little bit of a mod on my tie rod.... So actually I have two tie rods... One new and one welded back together... Hopefully, if I get another complete tie rod.. I would like to put the welded one in a vice and see how much trouble it would be to break the weld.... But in a pinch it would get me or another friendly H3 off the trail....

Hey ChasH3 you did okay on the trails with that welded tierod? Here's a pic of mine, what do you think this is good enough for the trails? I placed a clamp over the inner and outer tierod to keep it from spinning, because mine broke at the threads my friend who welded it had no choice but to weld over the threads, we couldn't put the nut back on.

I haven't taken my rig over 45mph yet only because I wouldn't want it to snap on the freeway, but everyone is telling me that the welded side is actually stronger than the stock one. I'm missing out on a big run Saturday because of my freakin' paranoia of it snapping it, I dunno man, it's either paranoia or just the fact that freakin' nobody has any in stock - I hope HummBebe does well on Sunday and sends me her spare (hint, hint!)

Thanks