Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Magnaflow exhaust question? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17349)

SeattleH3 06-06-2006 04:32 AM

Magnaflow exhaust question?

Can I just replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow muffler? Why do I need a whole new cat back system? Thanks!

hmrlvr 06-06-2006 04:56 AM

Re: Magnaflow exhaust question?

Yea, you can replace just the muffler. We have 2 mufflers under there from what I understand. My guy took out the 2 and replaced them with just one. I guess you could leave the front one and just replace the rear with the magnaflow. With the front one still on though it may restrict the air flow.

SeattleH3 06-06-2006 05:07 AM

Second one must be some kind of resignator (sp.?), yes?

hmrlvr 06-06-2006 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleH3
Second one must be some kind of resignator (sp.?), yes?

The rear one is definatly a muffler. I did have to go back and have resonators installed 'cause mine was too loud. It's still to loud in the back seat. Heres 2 pics

SeattleH3 06-06-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmrlvr
The rear one is definatly a muffler. I did have to go back and have resonators installed 'cause mine was too loud. It's still to loud in the back seat. Heres 2 pics

The rear one is definately a muffler, agreed. I was talking about the front one after the cat. So they put your muffler in the center of the truck vs. in the rear like the factory one, why?

StarsnBars 06-06-2006 10:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Seattle.. I left the front one in place and just installed the muffler, Sounds pretty good for a five banger. Not loud at all, but a healthy little tone. Couple pics of my Magnaflow system

hmrlvr 06-06-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsnBars
Hi Seattle.. I left the front one in place and just installed the muffler, Sounds pretty good for a five banger. Not loud at all, but a healthy little tone. Couple pics of my Magnaflow system

I'D GO THIS WAY. LIKELY A LITTLE QUIETER. Oops caps were on:)

SeattleH3 06-07-2006 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsnBars

What did you pay for the muffler? Where did you get it?
Thanks!

StarsnBars 06-07-2006 07:35 PM

My buddy works at a muffler shop and ordered the muffler and the 2 tips. He had the good pipe at the shop I cant remember the internet site he got the stuff,,Ill dig thru my reciepts later,,, The muffler was around 80$ and the tips were 60$ apiece I believe. had the whole thing done for around 300$. No cat back but I wasnt looking for the small H.P. gain,, just the look.

Groundpounder 07-01-2006 03:36 AM

I just did mine the easy way. I took my H3 to a muffler shop and had them remove the rear muffler and install a FlowMaster, with a short turn out like the original. The sound is mellow and not to loud. The first thing I noticed was the tach does not go as high as it once did, at all speeds. I had just filled up with gas when I got the change over so I do not know how much the milage changed.

Groundpounder
Dallas

humdoug 07-05-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundpounder
I just did mine the easy way. I took my H3 to a muffler shop and had them remove the rear muffler and install a FlowMaster, with a short turn out like the original. The sound is mellow and not to loud. The first thing I noticed was the tach does not go as high as it once did, at all speeds. I had just filled up with gas when I got the change over so I do not know how much the milage changed.

Groundpounder
Dallas

Do you know the # of the FlowMaster you installed? What was the cost?