Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nitto Terra Grapplers? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27825)

JH3 06-20-2007 09:42 PM

Nitto Terra Grapplers?

Anyone runner Nitto Terra Grapplers on their H3? Wanted BFG AT?s, but can get the Nitto?s for $45 less per tire. Looking at 285?s or 295?s. Just wondering if these are any good for light off-road and snow & ice. Discount Tire Direct has the Nitto's for $142-146 and feee shipping. Wish I could find BFG's at the price!

stagger_lee 06-20-2007 10:13 PM

Re: Nitto Terra Grapplers?

My brother has them on his FJ cruiser. They seem to be holding up pretty well. Great traction on dirt and rock, and they should do very well on snow and ice. Its a pretty agressive tread that is well siped. :beerchug:

On the other hand you cant beat the BFGs.

JH3 06-20-2007 10:16 PM

Thanks for the feed back. TI agree the BFG's are great, but the price for the Nitto's has wondering if the Noittos will do.

stagger_lee 06-20-2007 10:25 PM

From what I have witnessed in wet sand and mudd, they clean themselves out real well, and I bet they would have a similar performance in the snow

Steve - SanJose 06-20-2007 11:56 PM

I've had the Nitto Terra Grapplers (305/50/20) since February. Only used them for light offroading a few times and had no problems. Haven't tried them in snow yet, but I will next season. I suspect they are popular because of good road manners (quiet, good ride and handling on pavement) combined with an aggressive tread pattern.

Agriv8r 06-22-2007 02:15 PM

good all around tire...nice look, rides well on street/dirt...

Steve - SanJose 06-22-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agriv8r
good all around tire...nice look, rides well on street/dirt...

based on (please tell us how you came up with above)...???

usetosellhummer 06-22-2007 05:10 PM

softer, won't last as long as the BFG has been my experience on when i sold them for H2's

Steve - SanJose 06-22-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
softer, won't last as long as the BFG has been my experience on when i sold them for H2's

Based on your observations how long (how many miles) would you estimate that the Nitto TG's will last?

stagger_lee 06-22-2007 07:19 PM

I can tell you that my brother has 12K miles on his, and they have about 75% tread left and are wearing very nicely. He does put them through hell too. :beerchug:

Steve - SanJose 06-22-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I can tell you that my brother has 12K miles on his, and they have about 75% tread left and are wearing very nicely. He does put them through hell too. :beerchug:

Good to know. Thanks. BTW, what type of rig does he have them on?

stagger_lee 06-22-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Good to know. Thanks. BTW, what type of rig does he have them on?

FJ Cruiser

Steve - SanJose 06-22-2007 10:01 PM

FJ, similar type, size and weight vehicle.

stagger_lee 06-22-2007 10:10 PM

Thats what I figured. Thats the only reason why I chimed in.

H3 GVW = 5850lbs Curb Weight = 4700
FJ GVW = 5570lbs Curb Weight = 4290 (rated for 4x4 manual)

:beerchug:

JH3 06-25-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
I've had the Nitto Terra Grapplers (305/50/20) since February. Only used them for light offroading a few times and had no problems. Haven't tried them in snow yet, but I will next season. I suspect they are popular because of good road manners (quiet, good ride and handling on pavement) combined with an aggressive tread pattern.

Did you get the matching spare? If so, did your wiper rub? Just trying to figure out if I need to get some spacers back there due to the increased width of the tire.

Steve - SanJose 06-25-2007 05:24 PM

No matching spare on my H3, it's under a black tire cover. The 305/50/20 is close to the 32" diameter of the stock base Goodyear tire, so it will work fine as a short term spare.

Yes you are correct that a spacer is required to but the larger wheel/tire on the back door. So that means in case of a flat on my rig, the flat tire will have to be carried in the rear luggage area until repaired/replaced. I keep an old blanket in the back for carrying dirty stuff like that.

H3telcobilly 06-27-2007 03:21 AM

A coworker had TG's on his Ram Quadcab 4x4 with well over 50k and still going strong when he traded. I believe they were 295x17's which looked good on the truck..

JH3 06-27-2007 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. Ordered the Grapplers and they were delivered last night. Ordered on Friday afternoon and recieved Tuesday night...not bad...quick and no shipping costs. Took some pictures of the Grapplers next to stock tires and will post soon. They look really nice and much bigger than stock. Having them installed on Thursday and will post some pics with the new shoes on.