Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photos of YOUR H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Custom TREE Guard (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37899)

ROUSHDEMON 07-21-2009 07:56 PM

Custom TREE Guard

So back like 5 months ago I tried buying an SMA brush guard from a member on this board and for months I got ignored like little A-cups at a Hooters happy hour...
So I made my own...
I found an unfinished heavy duty guard online and added my own "HEAVY DUTY" look to it :fdance:
it's reallllllly sturdy, I attached it to the frame behind the bumper and made brackets to hold it on top by the hood handles, wanted to add some lights so I made a bracket to hold those too, it took me a little while considering it was my first time welding, first time using a 12-ton pipe bender and first time "building" anything for my Hummer, you can give me as much crap as you want because i'm very happy with it and paid 1/30th of the cost of a real huge wrap-around guard that I've been looking for:D :D :D
I spray painted the chrome grille black temporarily just to see how it would look black, but i'm having it proffesionally painted next week, just if you noticed.

Just wanted to share this with you guys, I still have a lot to do with this black one including lift, bigger and better wheels and tires, safari roof rack, and definitely more blackout parts....

Thanks for looking!

ROUSHDEMON 07-21-2009 07:58 PM

Re: Custom TREE Guard

porschett 07-21-2009 10:33 PM

Looks good! Only thing I would have done differently was add a little protection for the lights.

Rico001 07-22-2009 12:13 AM

I really like it and I would think if it there was a profit in it for you, you should go into business making them.:perfect10s:

Hell I would like one our HUMMER.
~Richard

Intercooled 07-22-2009 12:32 AM

Very Impressive. Looks damn good!. Heavy duty as hell.:perfect10s:

The only thing I would change is the wing nuts. Maybe some black lock nuts.

Mark805 07-22-2009 03:55 AM

Damn that looks great...
:beerchug:

nice work... I cant wait to see what you make on the 2nd try (since this first one looks so good)

ROUSHDEMON 07-22-2009 03:58 PM

Thank you very much!:beerchug:
well you guys gave me some good ideas, I might just do them!:dancingbanana:

I would love to start making these on the side, but shipping would be a B*($@*(! for whoever buys one haha, although I only paid $80 in shipping for the SMA one with Grayhound...so it wouldn't really be much more as long as it fit, they work pretty cool.

I think i'm gonna tackel a roof rack next, we'll see.

Thanks again!!

Boss Hoss 07-22-2009 04:55 PM

Very nice, IMO would look killer on a lifted H2. I think you may have a market for that as there are not many options(HumminnBoatin was having one fabbed up i know).

Im no welding expect but it looks like you may not be getting much penetration on the welds, just something to think about.

ROUSHDEMON 07-22-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Im no welding expect but it looks like you may not be getting much penetration on the welds, just something to think about.

yep, I'm no welding expert either, but its on there thick for sure, its just that I grinded it and smoothed it out more for looks, if it was the front part I would have left it alone, but since its on the top of the hood its not as important, but its penetrated to the right color of the metal on each 1/4" thick weld, and yes... it would look insane lifted, that's one of my goals this year (hopefully :o )

Thanks though!

8500lbs 07-22-2009 09:09 PM

Dang!!!! Very impressive and even more so that this was your first time. I am extreamly curious as to how it mounts behind the bumper. I personally have never seen this method before. Look forward to more pictures and reports as to how it holds up.

b

solarflare 07-23-2009 12:28 AM

Looks very nice!!!

BLKSUT 07-23-2009 02:29 AM

Looks great you did a great job for your first time. The welds look like you were just a little cold but there didn't look like you had much under cut so thats a good thing. Again it looks great on your truck:clapping:

ROUSHDEMON 07-23-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8500lbs
Dang!!!! Very impressive and even more so that this was your first time. I am extreamly curious as to how it mounts behind the bumper. I personally have never seen this method before. Look forward to more pictures and reports as to how it holds up.

b

I'll see if I get time in the next day or two to take some more pics for you, its bolted to the frame from the inside of the bumper... kinda tricky, but its the way SMA designed it, you'll see, thanks!

And BLKSUT, I think you're right about the cold, I just bought a heating tourch for some stuff that i'm practicing on and it works easier it seems, I'm still in the learning process and I love it, its pretty fun to me.
Thanks guys.

Bimmer9938 08-03-2009 12:47 AM

Will you make me one?

ROUSHDEMON 08-03-2009 05:01 PM

sure!! let's talk business:D

GMPartsman 08-03-2009 06:47 PM

I may possibly be interested in one as well Roush.....

ROUSHDEMON 08-03-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMPartsman
I may possibly be interested in one as well Roush.....

Honestly I've thought about making more and not charging $3K like the ones they sell for the H1s because I'm not a pro (obviously) but it will be worth the $$$, I just didn't know the demand, I actually got flagged down and stopped getting off an exit by a guy in another Hummer wanting to know where I got the guard from, I thought that was pretty cool, I got his number just in case I make another one.:jump:

GMPartsman 08-03-2009 09:39 PM

well i'm definitely interested.

ROUSHDEMON 08-03-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMPartsman
well i'm definitely interested.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, just gotta see how much time it would involve and cost of course, it would be nice having to know how many of these to make to keep cost down.... i'll get back to you on it, I know I have 4 people already wanting one, we'll see:beerchug:

GMPartsman 08-03-2009 10:43 PM

sounds good bro thanks!