Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photos of YOUR H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Black mirrors and handles installed!! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32917)

ctluba 02-26-2008 10:15 PM

Black mirrors and handles installed!!

Did a swap with Lordlang on our mirros and handles. Bolted everything up and it looks great!!!! (I had chrome originally and swapped to black)

trailerpup 02-27-2008 12:49 AM

Re: Black mirrors and handles installed!!

yep. it worked.

ctluba 02-27-2008 03:03 AM

Also, I forget to mention the best part:

Dealer quote to swap out chrome handles and mirrors, "It's a four hour job":$875.00

Final price after trading parts with another forum member and doing the work myself in approx 45 minutes : $30.00 in overnight shipping costs.

LordLang 03-01-2008 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah all went well. I know nothing about vehicles and it took me maybe 30 min to take off & 30 min to put on.

Heres pics.. Yeah my hood handles are weird -- my wife bought them and they sent the wrong ones. But we were too lazy and didn't return them in time. Threw wifeys CTS-V in there too. Sunny Florida. :beerchug:

CyrusPaice 03-03-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctluba
Also, I forget to mention the best part:

Dealer quote to swap out chrome handles and mirrors, "It's a four hour job":$875.00

Final price after trading parts with another forum member and doing the work myself in approx 45 minutes : $30.00 in overnight shipping costs.

You swapped FOUR door handles and TWO side mirrors in 45 minutes? That's about 7 minutes per part. :confused:

ctluba 03-08-2010 06:45 PM

Congrats on your math skills. Yes, 45 min, MAX. And that was 5 door handles.The process is very simple. One bolt per door handle. The mirrors (you only have to do the caps) are simple also but take a little more time than the handles. There is a tutorial on how to do it.

kjh_sweden_H3 03-09-2010 08:56 PM

Please explain how and what to do to swap handles n mirrorcovers:) pics would be nice - or just write... planning on swappin my chrome for black also! - and dont wanna break anything..

ctluba 03-12-2010 12:23 AM

There is a step by step tutorial w/photos on another hummer forum. If you google you will have no problem finding it. I posted it one time but it was taken down because it was another forum, I guess.

The door handles are very easy. If you open the door and look on the edge of the door, in line with the handle, you will see a black rubber plug. pull the plug out and you will see a bolt. Remove the bolt. This lets you remove the "end piece" off the door handle. You then pull the handle as if opening the door. Use the heal of your hand and hit the end of the door handle toward the back of the truck. The handle pops out. To install the new handle you stick the end in the hole, hit the handle, it pops in, re-install the end cap with the bolt, put the rubber plug in = done. All the handles are the same.

The mirror caps take a little longer. Use a screw driver and pry the edge of the mirror up, using the mirror cap to pry against. The mirror will slide up in the slots it is mounted in. Pop the mirror off. There are then some screws that hold the mirror cap in place. remove the screws and cap comes off. Put the new cap on and replace the screws. The mirror then slides back into the slots on the mounting plate. Takes a little bit of effort to get it seated and centered.

I am not a mechanic and not very good with my hands. I was able to do the whole job with no problems and everything looks and works like it came from the factory. I also was nervous as I wanted things to be "right" and not do a hack job on my new truck. The above description is "ok" but you will need the photos in the tutorial to better understand how to do each step.

Good luck.

CyrusPaice 03-24-2010 06:14 AM

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I'm going to do to my H3T. (I've got the same color as yours)

touchdown227 03-25-2011 03:11 AM

Looks like your hood handles were on backward! Looking good though!

touchdown227 03-25-2011 03:30 AM

Also, OP, did you paint your stock wheels or did you buy those? Rims are looking nice!

Luv2Camp 03-25-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordLang
Yeah all went well. I know nothing about vehicles and it took me maybe 30 min to take off & 30 min to put on.

Heres pics.. Yeah my hood handles are weird --

Think on the bright side.... When you get older you can swap out those hood handles and put them in your bathroom as assist grips:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Bimmer9938 06-29-2011 07:02 AM

Love that Caddy!