Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   JL audio Stealth Box (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35217)

rck0025 08-27-2008 05:46 AM

JL audio Stealth Box

Has anyone but me installed this yet? I haven't done much tweaking, but aside from being louder than the stock monsoon sub, i don't think the quality of bass is all that great when considering the price. Wasn't looking for the biggest and best, but expected a little bit more - especially with the amp set up......

Stereo specs thus far: Alpine IVA-w205 headunit with Sirius, Bluetooth, i-pod, rear cam and Blackbird nav. JL Audio Slash 250/1 amp, running the 10 inch w1v2 sub.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 08-27-2008 01:07 PM

Re: JL audio Stealth Box

21 views and no replys....................

I think this crowd is more into: LOVE, SEX & ROCKnROLL

not speakers!

rck0025 08-27-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
21 views and no replys....................

I think this crowd is more into: LOVE, SEX & ROCKnROLL

not speakers!

:popcorn:

BACKNBLACK 08-27-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rck0025
Has anyone but me installed this yet? I haven't done much tweaking, but aside from being louder than the stock monsoon sub, i don't think the quality of bass is all that great when considering the price. Wasn't looking for the biggest and best, but expected a little bit more - especially with the amp set up......

Stereo specs thus far: Alpine IVA-w205 headunit with Sirius, Bluetooth, i-pod, rear cam and Blackbird nav. JL Audio Slash 250/1 amp, running the 10 inch w1v2 sub.

You got it Right. That box does not perform as it should. The Subwoofer has nowhere to reflect off of except its cavernous H3 back cargo area. I would change the subwoofer to a MB Quart or Kicker comp. Tighter deeper bass with less excursion.

rck0025 08-27-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKNBLACK
You got it Right. That box does not perform as it should. The Subwoofer has nowhere to reflect off of except its cavernous H3 back cargo area. I would change the subwoofer to a MB Quart or Kicker comp. Tighter deeper bass with less excursion.

Good call. I did quite a bit of tunning and it certainly sounds 75% better, but for the money not any where near worth it. Maybe for 500 bucks with the amp, but 525 by itself - bad value. :crying:

ZGXtreme 08-27-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKNBLACK

I am in the planning stages for my Alpha purchase I you confirmed something I had been thinking about. Was thinking of getting a StealthBox and selling the sub (would prefer to buy just the box) and using Kicker since they are manufactured in the town I live in.

I have Google'd it to death with no success, does anyone know the interior volume of the StealthBox?

rck0025 08-27-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGXtreme
I am in the planning stages for my Alpha purchase I you confirmed something I had been thinking about. Was thinking of getting a StealthBox and selling the sub (would prefer to buy just the box) and using Kicker since they are manufactured in the town I live in.

I have Google'd it to death with no success, does anyone know the interior volume of the StealthBox?

No, but I can tell you its pretty damn shallow, and it is reallllllly small - smaller than the housing of the monsoon 8 inch sub (of course it wasn't completely devoted to the sub itself, but you get the idea).

I believe that the magnet diameter and depth is about 4.5 inches on the w1 sub. The w3v3's magnet is about an inch larger. Not sure how that compares to other subs, but I can tell you with this stealth box every inch will count and JL's better subs probably displace too much box volume and air-space. I'm not sure a better sub would even be worth it, considering the lack of box space. JL really dropped the ball on this one and I've been happy with their products for 10 years.

I'd suggest just making your own wooden box and getting a beefier quality sub and putting it where you like.

ZGXtreme 08-27-2008 09:32 PM

Thanks for the insight RCK. I guess I will stick with one of three options... (1) retain the factory audio system, (2) deal with the Stealth Box or (3) custom box.

No having my truck yet makes it difficult to picture a design as I hope to retain much of my cargo space but I was thinking a design with a sub molded into one of the backseats and an amp molded into the other. Allowing the wiring to be hidden in addition to the ablity to lay the seats down and open up space without having a box in the way.

BACKNBLACK 08-27-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the insight RCK. I guess I will stick with one of three options... (1) retain the factory audio system, (2) deal with the Stealth Box or (3) custom box.

No having my truck yet makes it difficult to picture a design as I hope to retain much of my cargo space but I was thinking a design with a sub molded into one of the backseats and an amp molded into the other. Allowing the wiring to be hidden in addition to the ablity to lay the seats down and open up space without having a box in the way.

Stealth Box Idea = AWESOME

Stealth Box Quality = Just OK.

Check this out below- A member on here BPARKER. The cleanest best sound you can get without losing space. Costs close to $1700 -$2000 complete. Complete details and install pictures to build it http://www.hummercluborlando.com/ima...SubInstall.zip (16mb) It is a tough build and most shops without a donor H3 cannot build it.

ZGXtreme 08-27-2008 11:14 PM

Thanks Back... very clean and classy install. Could try and figure out a way to install one or two 10" Kicker SoloBarics in that area along with a 5 Ch. Kicker amp where the factory sub is.

BACKNBLACK 08-28-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks Back... very clean and classy install. Could try and figure out a way to install one or two 10" Kicker SoloBarics in that area along with a 5 Ch. Kicker amp where the factory sub is.

Exactly. The Amp will need to go in the Factory Sub Location.

SELWA 02-07-2009 09:50 AM

Very nice and clean using the jack location. You can also mount the amp on the other side if you don't want to removed the OEM amp and sub. The OEM amp is a 8 channel. Anyone know what the rating is on it?