Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   soft top (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22243)

evomind2 11-15-2006 04:21 PM

soft top

hey folks
im getting a soft top this spring.
are the soft tops known to have any issues such as leaks etc....
how long does it take to put on and take off?
im interested specifically in model years 03 or 04.
thanks

BlueHUMMERH2 11-15-2006 06:17 PM

Re: soft top

I understand that taking the top on and off is a 10-30 minute job depending on how many people you have and how good you get at doing it.

Also, I know that the older soft tops (which this shouldn't pertain to 03-04) that aren't insulated are noisy and cold in the winter.

ssgharkness020147 11-15-2006 08:05 PM

I got taking the top off down to under ten minutes. Putting it back on took about 15, this was all with one person. They tops can tend to leak over time, there are products to treat it and cure that. I used to know where to buy them, actually there was a sponsor of this site that had a detail shop. I know he was in the sponsor section, you could get the stuff you need from him.

lvs 11-16-2006 03:39 AM

The wear of a soft top will also depend on if it was stored inside or not. I have an 01 and have not had any problems with the top. Takes about 10 minutes to put on and off, once you figure out how to do it. First time will take longer. Keep it clean and conditioned and you shouldn't have problems.

evomind2 11-16-2006 04:15 PM

cool.
i think ill have to park outside because i dont think the h1 will fit through a single garage door opening.
so that kinda sucks as ill always have to take the top on and off if i cant just park in my garage.

mstams 11-17-2006 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind2
cool.
i think ill have to park outside because i dont think the h1 will fit through a single garage door opening.
so that kinda sucks as ill always have to take the top on and off if i cant just park in my garage.

I have a garage with two standard size doors, and my open top Alpha (2 inches taller, by the way) squeezes in just barely. Of course, I do have to hop out and manually fold in both mirrors. So you should be okay... ;)

evomind2 11-17-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstams
I have a garage with two standard size doors, and my open top Alpha (2 inches taller, by the way) squeezes in just barely. Of course, I do have to hop out and manually fold in both mirrors. So you should be okay... ;)

hmmmm.....of course ill try that out.
cool if it fits!

Andy C 12-08-2006 05:51 PM

I have a 97 soft top - leaks like a sieve - but thats why there are drainholes in the floor.
Getting it on and off is a snap once you get used to it - and trust me - living in Florida you have to be a speed demon as the rain here springs out of nowhere. I think my record for getting it back on by myself to the point where the truck was not getting flooded was 3 minutes.

Andy C 12-09-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadget
Check out the Classifieds as I have a 98 ST for sale

You had me excited there for a moment - I just want the soft top though - not everything that it covers.:D :D

ssgharkness020147 12-10-2006 07:57 AM

www.myhumvee.com the owners name is Paul and he is hit or miss to deal with. Some people love him, others have bad experiences. If your are one of the good ones he can save you a boatload on the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C
You had me excited there for a moment - I just want the soft top though - not everything that it covers.:D :D

ssgharkness020147 12-11-2006 09:10 AM

X2. If you have not looked at Gadgets truck take a second to check it out. If I were shoping for another truck I would be looking closely at that truck. Its been very well cared for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadget
Check out the Classifieds as I have a 98 ST for sale

evomind2 12-12-2006 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
X2. If you have not looked at Gadgets truck take a second to check it out. If I were shoping for another truck I would be looking closely at that truck. Its been very well cared for

i sent him a pm.....