Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Winter Tires (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40520)

Mauro (Dynamic) 11-17-2010 04:13 PM

Winter Tires

Greetings to everybody ! I am a new member from Italy :)

I need for some information about winter tires. I have to use them in winter, also with very cold temperatures (sometimes likes -20?) and on snowy road, on really slippery ground (not high powder).

So I think to buy the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (on 20" wheels), do you know how these tires works in this condition ?

I wait your answers, thank you very much !

MVR 155 11-18-2010 12:49 AM

Re: Winter Tires

The SR-A does not have the snowflake symbol meaning it will be just OK in the snow.... If you are looking for something that will be much better in the snow then I suggest you look at the Goodyear Duratrac

Here is a link to tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=875PR6WDTOWL

DRTYFN 11-18-2010 02:18 AM

In my experience, the BEST tires for snow & ice on the H2 are the BFG ATs. They are amazing.

Mauro (Dynamic) 11-18-2010 07:22 PM

I know Goodyear Duratrack but here in Europe they are quite impossible to find :(
So I asked in some American sites but there some difficulties there too. Now I'll try to contact tiretrack.

I can choose beetween holding my 17" wheels with tires size 315/70 R17 (BFG AT mounted) or changing buying the original 2009 Hummer H2's wheels of 20" with 315/60 tires, what's the better choice ?

Can you suggest some other alternatives tires (for both the sizes) ?

Thank you for the help !

MVR 155 11-19-2010 02:11 PM

Tirerack has the Duratracs, as far as going with 17" or 20" its your perferance to be honest. If your current 17" rims have the BFG AT's and they are in really good condition with lots of tread they should be fine in the snow..... when they get older and down to around 50% tread they begin to suck in the snow.

ssgharkness020147 11-20-2010 07:28 AM

Nitto Teragrapplers, or Toyo Open Country AT's would be pretty good. I think I'm gonna throw the Nitto's on my pickup.

Mauro (Dynamic) 11-21-2010 03:49 PM

I've found the MICKEY THOMPSON - BAJA MTZ RADIAL, do you know how they are in the snow and in icy conditions ?

Thank you !

Mauro (Dynamic) 11-24-2010 09:59 PM

I've ordered the Mickey Thompson MTZ with Moto metal wheels on www.performanceplustires.com, do you know this site ?

Now I'm looking forward to receive them ! :D

2003yellowh2 12-19-2010 07:25 AM

I have had quite a few different tires on a few different H2"s. But with regards to winter driving............I live in a pretty cold snowy place in Canada with LOTS of snow and terrible roads are the norm here. The stock BFG ko's are great , but I slightly preferred the Cooper discover ATR, and as an added bonus they are significantly cheaper.
FYI-These have all been 17's on H2's with no lift.
I have tried running 22" Pirelli scorpions on one of my trucks and hated the ride-they looked great but the ride drove me crazy so I swapped them back to my stock wheels and was glad I did. I know another guy here that swears by toyo open country mts, but i can't give an opinion as I haven't tried them.

You really cant go wrong with the BFG's or the Cooper atrs though, i can say that from lots of winter driving experience on some crazy roads and even lakes with up to a foot of snow on them..what can I say-we do some "Lakeboarding" here-you tow someone 75 feet back with a snowboard behind the truck in locked 4LO -it's a blast but pretty crazy!
Just my 2 cents on winter tires for the H2-good luck with the mickey's

mikejr 12-22-2010 03:10 AM

I just took the Goodyear SRA's off my rig for the winter. I really was not pleased with how they worked in the snow last year. So I got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour's. I've had those on my pick up and trailblazer for the past few years and they work great in the snow. Figuring to have the same success on the H2. On my prior H2's it had the stock BFG's on them and they worked well in the snow also. After about 1000 miles on the SilentArmours, they ride alot quieter than the SRAs. Get ready to part with some serious coin if you go with the silent armours.

DirtDontHurt23 12-24-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauro (Dynamic)
Greetings to everybody ! I am a new member from Italy :)

I need for some information about winter tires. I have to use them in winter, also with very cold temperatures (sometimes likes -20?) and on snowy road, on really slippery ground (not high powder).

So I think to buy the auto electronics Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (on 20" wheels), do you know how these tires works in this condition ?

I wait your answers, thank you very much !

The BFG ATs will do you justice. I highly recommend.

tazhog54 12-27-2010 02:36 AM

Well after 3 sets of BFG A/T I thought I try some from Tire Rack some Yokahomas so far they are working great in the snow and ice.:beerchug:

orlasttoy 12-27-2010 08:04 PM

ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtDontHurt23
The BFG ATs will do you justice. I highly recommend.

Yetti 12-28-2010 01:31 AM

Has anyone here tried the Kumho Venture MT's? they are kinda on the cheap but the tread looked cool.
http://www.treadepot.com/tire/1912113.html

kdio 01-06-2011 01:50 AM

I've have the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw and love them in the snow. Best tires I've had yet.