Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacing Windshield (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24232)

H2bill 01-29-2007 08:06 AM

Replacing Windshield

Sadly, I've joined the others who now have to get my windshield replaced in my H2 due to a crack in it with only 5,000 miles on it. :crying: My Suburban made it 100+ before it needed one.

I see from a search here that many others have had to do it also. My question is are you having it done at the dealer or by a glass company? It just seems to me this wouldn't be a typical install for most glass companies who are use to doing minivans and Volvos. When I've had other vehicles in the past, I have had glass companies try and put in non-OEM glass that is definitely not as good as the OEM.

And how does the insurance deductable for the windshield work if you get it done at a dealer?

What's been your experience?

SCB51861 01-29-2007 04:49 PM

Re: Replacing Windshield

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2bill
Sadly, I've joined the others who now have to get my windshield replaced in my H2 due to a crack in it with only 5,000 miles on it. :crying: My Suburban made it 100+ before it needed one.

I see from a search here that many others have had to do it also. My question is are you having it done at the dealer or by a glass company? It just seems to me this wouldn't be a typical install for most glass companies who are use to doing minivans and Volvos. When I've had other vehicles in the past, I have had glass companies try and put in non-OEM glass that is definitely not as good as the OEM.

And how does the insurance deductable for the windshield work if you get it done at a dealer?

What's been your experience?

I had mine done by a local glass company. Was 1/2 the price and they came to the house. Also took the windnoise out of it.

timgco 01-29-2007 05:45 PM

Go to a glass company. You should be able to find a qaulity windshield for $300.00.

MDimitri 01-29-2007 06:06 PM

Here in Calgary, I got my H2 windshield replaced for $250.00 by "Mr. Windshield", for that price I can replace my windshield yearly!

TXSUT 01-29-2007 07:26 PM

Print this out and give it to your installer...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...3&postcount=17

MONSTERMATT 01-30-2007 06:54 AM

got it for 50$ deductable and rates dont raise on glass, had a shop called , well i dont fukkin member what its called but.. the dealer here wont do it, that dosent prise me cuz they are incompetent anyway but thats waz upp:dancingbanana: :jump: :dancingbanana:

H2Buff 01-31-2007 10:42 PM

Glass Doctor has a guarantee to replace the windshield for free if it breaks within a year. Prices were good, too. 866-838-GLAS. They service my fleet.

H2bill 01-31-2007 11:54 PM

Thanks for the replies, mates.

kdio 02-01-2007 05:03 AM

I called Safelite and they use PPG glass and came out and replace my windshield for $250. They are a national company and trust them more than some of these smaller companies.

PARAGON 02-01-2007 01:45 PM

Glass company. OEM glass is the absolute lowest grade they can get away with. Glass companies are typically going to be a higher grade if they are not the exact same glass.

Mine was higher grade. After a while I had probably 20 pecks in the glass. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. After using aftermarket glass, I have absolutely no pecks nor cracks.

Glass company was "Safelite"

DRTYFN 02-01-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARAGON
Glass company. OEM glass is the absolute lowest grade they can get away with. Glass companies are typically going to be a higher grade if they are not the exact same glass.

Mine was higher grade. After a while I had probably 20 pecks in the glass. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. After using aftermarket glass, I have absolutely no pecks nor cracks.

Glass company was "Safelite"

According to the windshield installers and glass repair shops I know up here in the land of gravel on the road, they all say Safelite is the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes.

PARAGON 02-01-2007 05:54 PM

Too bad "they" are wrong.

H2Buff 02-02-2007 04:10 PM

Safelite makes their own cheap glass. My insurance company has a contract with them, and they showed up with thier glass to install in my wifes BMW. I told them to hit the road, I would be better off with Saran Wrap. The guy at GlassDoctor told me they are the largest glass company in the US.