Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fuel Injector / Throttle Body Service (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40227)

pdxrealtor 09-17-2010 02:30 AM

Fuel Injector / Throttle Body Service

Is this worth doing at 32k miles? My gas mileage seems to be low and the dealer suggested servicing the throttle body and injectors.

Does that sound right?

Cost at the dealer is $250.00.

Cesardajr 09-17-2010 03:09 AM

Re: Fuel Injector / Throttle Body Service

i got a fuel induction service at 46437 miles for $132 at my dealer.
3 step service
1st step helps remove upper engine deposits
2nd step cleans throttle body/air intake area
3rd step fuel additive added to fuel to clean injectors

it ran rough after the service, i took it back and they said it was ok, i took it home and found the maf sensor had all kinds of crap on it, i cleaned it and the h2 ran smooth after that.

as for your h2 at 32k miles, clean the maf sensor, and run 2 cans of seafoam per fill up for 2 fill up's and see how she runs. it should not need a service unless your running crap gas.

pdxrealtor 09-17-2010 06:16 AM

Thanks.

I always run Chevron or 76 when in a pinch.

Did you notice an improvement in gas mileage?

HummerJim 09-17-2010 01:52 PM

Mafs are very sensitive and I've found spraying helps, but replacing them is the only solution if they are acting up. You definitely don't want to physically touch any sensing part of the maf - just spray it.

pdxrealtor 09-17-2010 03:21 PM

If memory serves me the maf should be sprayed with electrical parts cleaner correct?

There's no codes and the truck idles fine the gas mileage just seems to be a little low.

The_Yeti 09-17-2010 06:25 PM

CRC makes an actual MAF Cleaner, just spray and let air dry.

HUMTECH 09-17-2010 06:37 PM

Make sure the igfnition is off and you allow the maf sensor to cool fo at least 15 minutes or you can damage it by rapidly cooling the sensors

pdxrealtor 09-17-2010 08:10 PM

Thanks all.

I'm going to order the stuff suggested and give it a go.

Cesardajr 09-17-2010 09:39 PM

it made the h2 run smoother, 1mpg regain back to around 13mpg from 12mpg.
i did it as a preventive service since i was close to the 50k mark.
i also use crc maf cleaner every time i clean the air filter every 3 months.
cleaning the maf sensor really helps with keeping the h2 running nice and keeping the mpg's up

pdxrealtor 09-17-2010 09:53 PM

12-13 MPG??

Is that all highway driving? I'm lucky to get 9 in the city. IF my wife drives it she gets 12 on 50 mile HWY trip.

Cesardajr 09-18-2010 04:41 AM

13mpg average mixed mpg, i reset the miles and divide by gallons fueled at station at every fuel up. im thinking of regearing to 4.88's, i think i can pick up 1 more mpg.

HUMTECH 09-18-2010 09:27 PM

Um lower gear ratio=higher rpm=less fuel mileage

Cesardajr 09-19-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH

i thought the handheld tuner would correct the higher rpm's issue.
i also thought the 4.88's would make the engine work less.
i can see the higher rpm's without the tuner.:confused:

Scarsman 09-19-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesardajr
i thought the handheld tuner would correct the higher rpm's issue.
i also thought the 4.88's would make the engine work less.
i can see the higher rpm's without the tuner.:confused:

The tuner will correct the speedometer with the lower gears, but does nothing for engine rpm vs ground speed ratio. The lower gearing means the engine has to spin faster to make the axles turn the same speed they did with the higher gearing. That is what makes the moter have to "work less." Imagine a mountain bike. When you have it in an "easy" gear it is really easy to pedal but you don't go very fast. This is low gearing. Now if you put it in a "hard" gear, you pedal slower but you go faster. This is a high gear. You are experiencing the same effect that your engine will feel if you go to lower gears. To go the same speed as you did not a high gear you would have to pedal like crazy, and would become exhausted, or use more fuel.

pdxrealtor 09-22-2010 02:55 AM

Cleaned the MAF sensor and running the first tank of SF through it now.

What a difference cleaning the MAF sensor makes!

Thanks guys!!

OrangeCrush 09-22-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor

Thanks guys!!

I was going to suggest cleaning out the throttle body by hand (you clean the "ring" of deposit left from where the plate closes) and getting some good fuel injection cleaner in your tank.

At your mileage, I think it would be a waste to spend 250 (which is ridiculous btw) on your truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH

That's not always true... If you put a set of 37's on an H2, you're effectively changing the gear ratio from 4.11's (stock) to say 3.23's (for sake of discussion)

Technically you'd be lowering the rpm and based on your higher rpm=less fuel logic, a driver should expect better gas mileage.

All of this is within reason. Anyone doing so will see a decrease of mileage of 2-3 mpg simply because the engine had to lug harder to pull the truck around. Turning over heavier, larger diameter tires will hurt gas mileage out of the hole and on the highway.

Where you may see an increase it cruising at about 45 in the city. (providing you're not stopping and going)

Just sayin'

Mark

The_Yeti 09-22-2010 12:27 PM

Cleaning the Throttle Body is the only time I wish the hood opened up vs fwd. :soapbox:

pdxrealtor 09-22-2010 03:14 PM

Would it be worth it to clean the throttle body?

If so what to use? My buddy was saying some throttle bodies have a Teflon coating that shouldn't be touched.

Cesardajr 09-22-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys!!

you should be running 2 cans of sea foam with a full tank,
if you read the can 1oz does 1 gallon,
since a can has 16oz you should use 2 cans, that's what i do.
btw i went to pepboys yesterday and they have a special buy 2 cans of sea foam and get one free instore.
that's $6.67 each can.

The_Yeti 09-22-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Would it be worth it to clean the throttle body?

If so what to use? My buddy was saying some throttle bodies have a Teflon coating that shouldn't be touched.

The same company that makes the MAF cleaner,CRC makes a throttle body cleaner. I use a toothbrush and give it a good scrubbing. I think the teflon ones you reffered to are on Fords.

I'm tempted to try this SEAFOAM, Does it smoke the whole tank full or just in the beginning, also any worries with this, I just ran a fuel injection cleaner not that long ago. I think someone mentioned having your oil changed after doing a seafoam cycle.