Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Diff leakage :( (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39123)

DRZDuke 03-03-2010 09:25 PM

Diff leakage :(

2003 Hummer H2 SUV

I have developed a massive diff fluid leak out of the front diff once the unit gets hot. The pinion area looks to be dry. I think it may be leaking out of the case center at the bottom where the halves join ... is there a seal for this?
Can anyone provide me an exploded view of the front diff. with all the parts and pieces or point me in the right direction.
I'm thinkin' that if I take this unit out and disassemble it, it's going to start costing $$$ and I've been on disability for a few years and can't afford a major repair bill right now :( so maybe grabbing a used pumkin complete might be the way to go. Also, are all the 2003 H2's diff ratios the same ? Is it a 4:10gear set ?
Any ideas or help in any way would be greatly appreciated.

pdsq99f4 03-04-2010 11:17 PM

Re: Diff leakage :(

If you have the ability, take it out and reseal the case halves. We do it all of the time on these older h2's. Use anerobic sealer, not silicone. Replace both axle seals while you have it out. Should cost you about $100 in parts with the synthetic fluid.

DRZDuke 03-05-2010 05:01 PM

Thanks so much for the reply and ... phew ... thought I might be in for a major repair there :)

HumminNBoatin' 03-05-2010 05:07 PM

You might just have leaking axle seals. Technically the job is easy but, physically it is not. Getting the diff back into the truck is a real chore f you do not have a trans lift. H2's are known for leaky axle seals. And to do them you can leave the diff in the truck. Just be very careful when you remove your inner axles so that you do not break the small clips that hold them in the diff. If you break those clips while pulling the inner axles you will have to drop the diff and open it to get the broken pieces out.

DRZDuke 03-05-2010 07:45 PM

Do you guys know if I can remove the front axles and the front shaft and run on the rear only? Is that possible for the summer?

twr 03-05-2010 09:22 PM

Don't do that, if your going to all that work you should fix it, if you can't afford to fix it right now just keep checking it and filling it up. I don't now how bad its leaking so maybe check it once a week and if your going on any long trips take some diff fliud with you and check it on the way. You should wash it off and see whats leaking and maybe it only axle seals. I have 2008 and I already split the front diff and new axles seals because the diff halfs were leaking.

DRZDuke 03-05-2010 10:43 PM

It's fixed already :) Removed and resealed case halves this morning but it sure looks like if I left the axles out and pulled the shaft I could run on just the rear and that would make a fair difference fuel mileage wise. I'm just thinkin' short term but it would be nice if I could do it without adverse effect.

HumminNBoatin' 03-07-2010 04:30 AM

If you pull the shaft and continually run it in 4 hi lock the pressure on the shift fork in the transfer case will over time deform from heat. This can especially happen in the summer time. If the fork deforms its instant transfer case rebuild time.

pdsq99f4 03-08-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
If you pull the shaft and continually run it in 4 hi lock the pressure on the shift fork in the transfer case will over time deform from heat. This can especially happen in the summer time. If the fork deforms its instant transfer case rebuild time.

Exactly. It's a terrible idea and you would be rebuilding your t-case very soon.

DRZDuke 03-09-2010 03:35 AM

Oh well, it was just a thought, Thanks everyone for the helpful and quick info

thibble 03-09-2010 03:11 PM

Get a geo metro for the fuel economy, then when you get tired of the little tin can flatten it with your 4wd hummer....much cheaper solution, and more fun.

Thibble:OWNED:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRZDuke
It's fixed already :) Removed and resealed case halves this morning but it sure looks like if I left the axles out and pulled the shaft I could run on just the rear and that would make a fair difference fuel mileage wise. I'm just thinkin' short term but it would be nice if I could do it without adverse effect.