Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Exploded IFS! pics (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43313)

blindellh2 02-05-2013 04:48 AM

Exploded IFS! pics

It all started by helping someone that was stuck in a mud hole. I had the confidence in pulling him out.
After a couple of attempts in 4lo rear locked, in a slippery snowy surface... Someone noticed a puddle of oil.
Was still powering the rear wheels UNTIL i pulled back onto pavement and decided to pull it out of 4HI locked to 4HI. Then all of a sudden it would not power any wheels! Tried 4LO locked and reverse. Nothing at all. Had to be towed home.
Bought a front diff from an 04 2500HD and is totally different than my front case!
Im still in need of a good used front diff case...
heres some pics:

Hellz 02-05-2013 05:49 AM

Re: Exploded IFS! pics

all i can say is ouch!

blindellh2 02-05-2013 01:30 PM

Does this occur much in H2's?

citiboy 02-05-2013 01:54 PM

I've broken right front half-shaft twice on the trails....i need to replace the left front half-shaft because it's making noise while turning....i never break the front diff. yet (knock on wood).

HummerJim 02-05-2013 02:55 PM

I've never seen a front diff break like that on an H2. Did it come down on a rock or hard object?

guruerror 02-05-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindellh2
Does this occur much in H2's?

I wouldn't say it happens a lot...this is the first I've heard of it (and I cruise several different forums); but I'm sure it has happened before. Just as I'm sure it's happened on other brands of trucks...
...they might look like tanks; but they're not. LOL...they're just a truck.

Wow...that sucker can get expensive:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...d ifferential

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerJim
I've never seen a front diff break like that on an H2. Did it come down on a rock or hard object?

I'm betting he was at a high RPM in that snow and then it caught something to bite on...and BOOM!

Hellz 02-05-2013 04:49 PM

the good news is.. it just looks like he needs a new housing. most likely can reuse alot of parts off his old one to help cut down on the costs.

whoknows, it might have been a defect in the housing.. i.e a hairline crack somewhere that just gave out when the right amount of force when he was pulling the other vehicle out.

those are pretty clean break lines on the housing...im assuming the vehicle is out of warrantry, but who knows... have it checked out. might get lucky.

guruerror 02-05-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellz
the good news is.. it just looks like he needs a new housing. most likely can reuse alot of parts off his old one to help cut down on the costs.

whoknows, it might have been a defect in the housing.. i.e a hairline crack somewhere that just gave out when the right amount of force when he was pulling the other vehicle out.

those are pretty clean break lines on the housing...im assuming the vehicle is out of warrantry, but who knows... have it checked out. might get lucky.

Yeah...but that housing is listed at $800+

blindellh2 02-05-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerJim

It was on a flat surface trying to pull someone out of the mud...

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
I wouldn't say it happens a lot...this is the first I've heard of it (and I cruise several different forums); but I'm sure it has happened before. Just as I'm sure it's happened on other brands of trucks...
...they might look like tanks; but they're not. LOL...they're just a truck.

Wow...that sucker can get expensive:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...d ifferential

I'm betting he was at a high RPM in that snow and then it caught something to bite on...and BOOM!

traction 2 kept me down below 3500...
That sucker is very expensive.
I pulled a noob move and went to the salvage yard looking for a silverado 2500HD 9.25" diff. THEY DO NOT INTERCHANGE.
So i bought a whole new bare housing today and going to do 4.88's front and rear with possibly and E-Locker front...

guruerror 02-05-2013 09:58 PM

Post back your results, especially if you go with a locker. I've been 'thinking' about it too.

H2ummer 02-06-2013 12:22 AM

That sucks. I know first hand. Climbing a hill in 4WD low lock. Steady and not agreesive when I heard a pop and smelled the fluid. Dropped the front skid and... well the pics speak for themselves.

citiboy 02-06-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

2500HD 9.25" diff. THEY DO NOT INTERCHANGE.
So i bought a whole new bare housing today and going to do 4.88's front and rear with possibly and E-Locker front...

That's the same route i'm goin' to do....yukon 4.88 with eaton e-locker....good luck with the build and post your results.

citiboy 02-06-2013 02:37 AM

Oh man, another one....this really sucks...i feel bad for you guys. I don't understand, why the half-shaft never give first before the diff....i've blown 2 half-shaft and my diff. still in good shape.

pdxrealtor 02-06-2013 03:49 AM

Those pictures make me cringe...... good karma on you for helping a guy out, but damn .................

ROUSHDEMON 02-06-2013 05:49 AM

Holy cow that sucks........ Hope you can get it all fixed up soon, those pics is like watching skaters braking bones.....:crying:

pdxrealtor 02-06-2013 05:57 AM

Speaking of skaters did you all see Lindsay Vaughn's accident???

Oh..... that hurt!

working Hummer 02-07-2013 08:15 PM

mine exploded exactly like that...I wheel hopped going up a dirt hill and that's all she wrote...

blindellh2 02-08-2013 02:08 PM

I hear this is sort of common on 03-04 diff cases.
I just received my new diff case last night. I am only waiting on gears and master overhaul kit now.
I will keep updating with pics and all on the progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2ummer
That sucks. I know first hand. Climbing a hill in 4WD low lock. Steady and not agreesive when I heard a pop and smelled the fluid. Dropped the front skid and... well the pics speak for themselves.

Did you buy a totally new front diff when this happened or did you rebuild with a new case and salvage most of what you had already?

Easy Ed 02-09-2013 12:00 AM

I was thinking there were some post back in the early years on here about the problem but could not find them :confused: May have been on the old board and did not make it to this one.

I also thought that the new cases had different reinforcement ribs to them, does your new case look different than the old one (besides being broke in two :D ) by having extra ribs in the casting ?

Thanks and good luck, Ed

Found a link that DRTYFN made a post to 1/20/2004 http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12515

Quote:

I hear this is sort of common on 03-04 diff cases.

SummitUp 02-20-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
I was thinking there were some post back in the early years on here about the problem but could not find them :confused: May have been on the old board and did not make it to this one.

<This Thread> might be the one you're referring to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
I also thought that the new cases had different reinforcement ribs to them, does your new case look different than the old one (besides being broke in two :D ) by having extra ribs in the casting?

Consensus is that there was definitely a design change beginning in '05 which included adding the extra ribs in the casing. I've only seen this problem occur in the '03 and '04 years.