Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Undercoat to prevent rust? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14594)

Skulz 03-21-2003 02:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone undercoated their H2 to prevent some of the rusting that has been present on some H2s. Do you think the dealer SHOULD come up with something? What kind of spray was used, how many coats, pricing?

I'm weary of seeing people post that their vehicles are showing signs of rust very early on in the life of their H2. Warranty and resale value concerns on my part. It was mentioned that some of the underside rusting is clearly visible even when not underneath the H2. I don't mind having a muddy or dirty vehicle, but I don't want to pay $60K for a rusty one.

Thanks in advance.

Skulz 03-21-2003 02:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone undercoated their H2 to prevent some of the rusting that has been present on some H2s. Do you think the dealer SHOULD come up with something? What kind of spray was used, how many coats, pricing?

I'm weary of seeing people post that their vehicles are showing signs of rust very early on in the life of their H2. Warranty and resale value concerns on my part. It was mentioned that some of the underside rusting is clearly visible even when not underneath the H2. I don't mind having a muddy or dirty vehicle, but I don't want to pay $60K for a rusty one.

Thanks in advance.

GA_GOLD 05-19-2003 08:15 AM

I would love to know what the story is with rust on the H2 ..

With less than 5K miles, I'm already seeing the u-joints, drive axle and other under carriage components rust.. So far the only wet sources have been rainy days in GA this spring... Here's what the GM rep said .."This is normal with unpainted parts "..Well duh ..So why does my 17 year old 4Runner have less or my 1998 F-150 4x4 ??.... I'm curious why others aren't rusting and some are .... Since my 1 year loaner Denali has similar issues , it appears GM is cutting corners to save $$ .. Who wants an SUV or Any vehicle with a rusting undercarriage .??.. Oh yeah if you read your rust warranty these parts ARE NOT covered under your rust warranty !!….

I’ve seen Hummer_Girl’s website and this is nearly identical to the rust ( corrosion ) I am seeing .. You can’t make any rational person believe this is “normal” per the BS the GM service manager spouted in response to my leaving the H2 at the dealership. It is either defective manufacturing or really piss poor quality control .. I’m sorry in a nearly 60K automobile , this is not acceptable !!!

Talk about Aggravating !!!… Any one want to buy a rusting H2 ?
5/19/03

Joe 05-19-2003 09:06 AM

Phil.

Did you sand or wire brush off your surface rust or just spray over it?

Sure looks better after the paint. Probably worth the extra couple of bucks.

JCJ 05-19-2003 01:39 PM

Mine did not show any rust, but I did have the Ziebart treatment done. Too bad a dummy sprayed even the plastic wheel well covering AND the aluminum H2 engine shield. But no rust what'so ever.

GA_GOLD 05-20-2003 11:05 AM

Phil,

Thanks for the insights about GM cost savings ..But don't you think it odd you have to now deal with a 'frame rusting like a pig'..?

Personally, I know the most frustrating part to date is GM's dismissive attitude to not only the problem but to their suppossed customers as well.. As an SUV manufacturer you would think addtional undercoating is a no brainer from the factory or dealer ... If I can ever nail down the service manager at the dealership face to face, at least I will know which way to go ... Given the behemoth size of GM , I wonder how much of these issues ever reach someone who can one own up to them and two correct them ...

Albie 05-20-2003 07:19 PM

Phil, where do i get this Rustoleum Hardhat Flat Black spray?

TheGoodHummerMan 05-20-2003 11:41 PM

In the book by John Lamm & Matt DeLorenzo titled: "HUMMER H2" --- they show a very interesting picture on page 90 showing a nearly completed body of an H2 going through a "ro-dip" electrolysis tank to apply undercoating. According to the caption of the picture, "This unique system turns the vehicle while it's being coated eliminating air trapped beneath horizontal body panels, giving them a uniform layer of undercoating."

Evidently this is later connected to the frame?

Wonder why they don't "ro-dip" the frame too?

Where can I grt mine Zeebarted?

Ed

MAC 05-21-2003 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rust is not on the frame which was dipped, but on the underbody parts. I don't think any Hummer should have any rust through problem in the future years. I can understand the anger toward GM about the rust and their lack of help, but once you accepted the reality and get over that, you'll find the problem is a minor one, easy to fix and cost very little. The sooner you fix it as Phil did, the sooner you'll get pass it, forget it and move on.

JCJ 05-21-2003 08:50 AM

PhilD,
What's that "bracket" for, top middle lower pic?
For an extra license plate visible for far-sighted drivers in two-seaters following us?
Or is it a feature used in models with air-shocks-compressors? JCJ

Skulz 05-21-2003 03:03 PM

I'm still looking into Ziebart treatment if I can find someone locally. More so from a cosmetics standpoint now rather than anything. If it does rust, I'll definately be writing an unsatisfactory response to both the dealer and manufacturer.

If I can't find anyone to do the Ziebart, I can always try the rubber undercoat and rustoleum that you (Phil) applied on your truck. Looks really good from the photos.

Actually, I just found a shop 16 miles from me, so I'll probably have them Ziebart.

www.ziebart.com
try the store locator

TheGoodHummerMan 05-21-2003 04:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skulz:
"try the store locator"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No Ziebart locations within 150 miles of here.

After reading about the undercoating being applied to the skid plate (just had mine polished like a mirror) I think that I'd be better off following PhilD's example. His job looks fantastic. Plus, I won't worry about getting my skid plate back with rubber undercoating applied to it...

Thanks a lot for the pics, Phil. Now, if I can just do about half as good a job as you did...

Ed

Skulz 05-21-2003 04:35 PM

Just got off the phone with the local guy and he is running a special $299 for rust and underbody sound barrier; otherwise $199 for rust and $175 for the underbody sound barrier.

I'm not really into the polished look, so I think I'll give this a shot. I'm not sure I want/need the underbody sound barrier, but I definately want the rust coating.

Woogy 05-21-2003 06:34 PM

Sorry if you have all answered this before, but when I searched through the postings there were way too many to cull through for the answer.

How soon did you notice the rust on the truck?

I'm two months in and no rust, but, I keep checking.