Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Prototype UCP (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18761)

HIHUMMER 07-24-2006 03:07 PM

Prototype UCP

Ok..here are some pics of the work in progress. Basically it's been framed out, and next Sunday 1/4inch steel will be welded over it. Then...I'll be testing the heck out of it in Tellico!!

HIHUMMER 07-24-2006 03:07 PM

Re: Prototype UCP

This pic shows that i will not be losing the clearence like you do with the OEM UCP.

HummerNewbie 07-24-2006 03:50 PM

Looking good, can't wait to see it tested :D

Ipedog 07-24-2006 04:14 PM

COOL! :D :cool:

I was wondering when we were going to be seeing this thread. ;) :rolleyes: :D

DDWH 07-24-2006 04:44 PM

very nice!:cool:

usetosellhummer 07-24-2006 06:28 PM

renforcements good!

Sewie 07-24-2006 08:50 PM

So is it going to be solid steel across the frame? And how are you attaching it to the frame rails?

You might also want to consider another cross brace in the larger area if possible.

I bent the sh*t out of mine this weekend so I'm curious to see how this works for you. The added clearance would have been nice, but that also means it's closer to the t-case, driveline, etc. if it does bend.

bjc 07-24-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewie

You might also want to consider another cross brace in the larger area if possible.

I bent the sh*t out of mine this weekend so I'm curious to see how this works for you. The added clearance would have been nice, but that also means it's closer to the t-case, driveline, etc. if it does bend.

It looks like the H3's cross-member will serve as an additional brace in the large area. I'm not sure it will matter much if she's using 1/4" steel -- that will be very tough to bend. But then again, HI seems good at breaking things. ;)

Nice job. Keep the pictures coming.

HIHUMMER 07-25-2006 12:29 AM

[quote=bjc]It looks like the H3's cross-member will serve as an additional brace in the large area.[quote]

Your right on bjc.

As for mounting, there is an angle iron brace welded to the back subframe between the transfer case and the fuel tank which will have 4 holes drilled into it. In the front there is a L-shaped angle that was welded to the subframe underneath the engine (3rd pic). There will be 2 mounting holes drilled into the angle. Mounted w/ 3/8th grade 8 bolts. That's it in a nutshell. :D

I'm looking forward to attempting to break it.:p

Mike B 07-25-2006 01:06 AM

Looks good HI. The only thing that could cause you some problems on the trail would be the bolt heads sticking out beyond the UCP. If those can be recessed, then you stand a better chance of them not catching and shearing off.

HIHUMMER 07-25-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B
Looks good HI. The only thing that could cause you some problems on the trail would be the bolt heads sticking out beyond the UCP. If those can be recessed, then you stand a better chance of them not catching and shearing off.

Hrmmm...good point. Hopefully they will be pretty flush and won't pose a problem. Thanks...

f5fstop 07-25-2006 01:35 AM

Looks good BUT...
Make sure it can be removed easily, or if in the future any trans work needs to be done, it can be removed easily or the dealer will charge you for the extra time.

As for braces under the engine, you have to remember crash worthiness. GM has to test and certify, you don't. But if ever in a massive front end collision, you want the engine to go DOWN under the passenger compartment, and if heavy bracing stops it, it will go back, into the passenger compartment and can trap the occupants, as well as hurt like hell.
Just some cautions on the install. I would hate to see anyone get hurt due to an extreme duty underbody protection kit.

HIHUMMER 07-25-2006 03:24 AM

See...all good ideas...this is what this forum is about. :D

It's only 6 heavy duty bolts holding in up...heavy as hell, but not impossible to remove. Perhaps for safety reasons as F5 mentioned, it might be worth removing it when I'm not wheeling.

HummBebe 07-25-2006 03:25 AM

Excellent point...:)

Ipedog 07-25-2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIHUMMER
See...all good ideas...this is what this forum is about. :D

It's only 6 heavy duty bolts holding in up...heavy as hell, but not impossible to remove. Perhaps for safety reasons as F5 mentioned, it might be worth removing it when I'm not wheeling.

Probably wouldn't hurt in the gas mileage department too. :rolleyes:

NEOCON1 07-25-2006 03:46 AM

Sweet Hi :cool: :D :D put a good scrape in it for me :cool: ;)

evldave 07-25-2006 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B

You can get panhead bolts in Grade 8, then use a tiny hole saw into the plate to countersink. The slopes on the side of the panheads should allow most rocks to slide over w/out ripping the head off, plus since they are allen heads, you won't have to worry too much about being able to get them out later. If you countersink them just up to the edge of the side lip on the bolt (like maybe 1/16"), I'd be surpised if you ever shear them off and I doubt it would affect the strength of the plate enough to matter.

Is the support bracing 1"x.0125"? It's hard to tell from the pictures. I'm curious as I'll eventually be building one of my own and want to steal all your ideas:D

HummerNewbie 07-25-2006 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOCON1
Sweet Hi :cool: put a good scrape in it for me :cool: ;)

Just for Neo, can I do some spotting for you in a couple of weeks HI :D ;)

evldave 07-25-2006 04:03 AM

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=74&cd=1600

Here ya go. Bling!!

HIHUMMER 07-25-2006 04:04 AM

the frame is made of 1.5" square tubing that is an 1/8" thick. But sshh....don't tell anyone.;)