Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   LS6 or LS7 cam? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42706)

jsbihn 07-07-2012 07:38 PM

LS6 or LS7 cam?

Could a LS6 or LS7 cam fit and work in our engine?
And if so would it be beneficial? (ie. more hp or more torque)

I am wondering since basically i understand this is just the iron block version of a Vette engine

USMC_Buckaroo 09-12-2012 12:52 AM

Re: LS6 or LS7 cam?

Howdy jsbihn

I'd be curious to hear the answer to this myself.....had a teenage carbuilding pard' of mine who had a 'factory' LS7 Chevelle back in the day...saw that thing burn rubber in THIRD gear doin' about 50 mile an hour!

Sure most of you youngin's think that's BS.....but, you're forgettin' that we used to have REAL horsepower back then...from the factory :beerchug:

Buck.

[__--MUD--__] 09-12-2012 03:24 AM

Most of the lsx is interchangeable. If your going to do anything to the motor have room in the budget for a 4l80 tranny to back it up. The stock tranny is borderline as it is.

Check out performance trucks.net or ls1tech. Tons of people doing mods to their trucks over there, but the have truck transmissions capable of the power.

Mister Peebody 09-14-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC_Buckaroo
Howdy jsbihn

I'd be curious to hear the answer to this myself.....had a teenage carbuilding pard' of mine who had a 'factory' LS7 Chevelle back in the day...saw that thing burn rubber in THIRD gear doin' about 50 mile an hour!

Sure most of you youngin's think that's BS.....but, you're forgettin' that we used to have REAL horsepower back then...from the factory :beerchug:

Buck.

More like, bias ply tires. No traction. The era of the muscle car is now. That said, I'm sure the OP is speaking of the current LS6 (C5 Z06) and LS7 (C6 Z06) corvette cams.
To the OP, is you are gonna go thru the trouble of tearing into your motor, then you may as well get the most bang for the buck by installing a custom aftermarket cam. JMO

HUMTECH 09-14-2012 03:45 AM

Depending on how much lift and duration change you do may need custom programming as the manifold pressures are gonna change causing map sensor inputs to ecm to change your timing and fuel curves. Minor changes can be adjusted for with stock programming. Major changes will throw codes and run rich typically.

guruerror 09-14-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Peebody
...The era of the muscle car is now...

Hmmm...I'd have to disagree. The 'Return of the Pony Car' era may be upon us, but not the true muscle cars.

Muscle cars were big, full size vehicles that cranked out the HP...Chevelle, 442, Torino... We aren't likely to see another true muscle car era again thanks to the price of gas and the 'huggers.' Give us back the Impala SS and the Crown Vic Interceptor and that would be a good start; then maybe to do up an SRT-10 version of the 300 or the Charger...hmmm.

Mustang, Camaro, Challenger...they're back and they're pretty bad, but their still just pony cars in my book.

MVR 155 09-19-2012 03:02 PM

Keep in mind that LS6 (and LS7) cam was designed for a lightweight car... (my LS6 Z06 weighs under 3100lbs). While you may pick up power on the top end I would be leary of losing any low end grunt in a 6700lb. truck. Just something to think about. I think you would be best having a custom grind cam spec'd out.