Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Air Conditioning (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13388)

JPrusinowski 05-09-2003 03:09 AM

Wow! Air conditioning system really struggling down here in Mississipi. Anyone having problems with cooling? Just seems to run forever at high fan levels trying to compete with our mild 95 degree weather. Any suggestions or info appreciated.

As if milage wasn't bad enough.

Jeff

JPrusinowski 05-09-2003 03:09 AM

Wow! Air conditioning system really struggling down here in Mississipi. Anyone having problems with cooling? Just seems to run forever at high fan levels trying to compete with our mild 95 degree weather. Any suggestions or info appreciated.

As if milage wasn't bad enough.

Jeff

Detonate 05-09-2003 05:40 AM

Do you have the recurculating air button on?

Mine works fine down here in Texas.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder

OUSUCKS 05-09-2003 10:07 AM

I seem to have to push the ricirculation button everytime I start the rig. Is there a way to have it stay on all the time?

PARAGON 05-09-2003 10:35 AM

Jeff,

I too live in MS and have had my H2 since Aug and the air is something you'll have to live with. I haven't thought again about it not cooling very well until I saw your post. The air system is just not up to par compared to other vehicles.

I will say also to check the little knobs in the center of your vents. These knobs twist and open and close the vents and it took me a week or so before I figured out that 2 of my vents were partly closed.

JCJ 05-09-2003 11:02 AM

I too am annoyed by having to turn on the AC recirc button every time I start the car.
Recirc is the only way to cool the car sufficiently (quick) and without letting outside fumes in in our climate.
Even so the recirc mode does not "filter" all exhaust smells of cars in front.
The Jeep GC(Overland)'s recirc button stays on permanently once hit.

noahald 05-09-2003 12:35 PM

JPrusinowski, check the classified ads section and read the post titled "3rd Row Heat and Air Conditioning".

ProAir has designed, manufactured, and installed air and heat systems for over 25 years. We have found that by adding a rear system it is possible to improve the overall performance of the entire A/C system. Extensive testing will be performed prior to launching our system to verify this is the case with the H2.

If you have any questions you may email me at marcd@proairllc.com or post a reply. Visit the ProAir website- www.proairllc.com

JSA_3 05-09-2003 12:37 PM

Everyone has a point, and I agree. I don't think we should have to "fiddle" w/settings especially in auto mode to cool the truck. I have experienced all of this after our 1st 2 weeks of 95+ and high humidity (white w/sunroof). Short city hops are the worst.

Phil is correct that the A/C should cycle in and out of recirc on its own in auto mode to deal with the heat. I try to help the A/C out a bit by selecting recirc mode at red lights and stops, and deselecting it once under way. Also, closing the sunshade on the "sky roof" helps tons.

I don't know about the H2 but on previous vehicles I've owned the A/C compressor cycles off below a certain engine rpm. I have found while in park or neutral that if I increase the idle to between 900-1000rpm the A/C seems to blow colder air. (don't know how good this is on things though)

Is it me, or does it seem like the newer R-134 systems just don't cool like the older R-12 systems?

noahald 05-09-2003 01:12 PM

JSA_3,

By increasing the engine idle you are 1. moving more refrigerant through the compressor, and 2. moving more air across the condenser at the front of the vehicle. The result is cooler air from the vents.

Generally speaking, R134a produces higher head pressures than R12. Higher head pressure equates to higher system temperature and diminished cooling.

JSA_3 05-09-2003 07:09 PM

Glad to know it's not my imagination.

AL MOORE 05-11-2003 08:41 AM

JEFF,

On a recent trip to William Carey in Hattiesburg, the 3rd row set was almost "un-stay-able". However, most teenagers will hang in there for a ride in an H2! We have had no problems up front.

AL

"I come back to you now; at the turn of the tide." Gandalf 2002

8MYROVER 05-12-2003 03:56 PM

A friend of my complained about the A/C with his Chevy 2500 HD. Dealer in Calif. could not fix it, so he took it back to AZ where he bought it. Apparently, the A/C systems are really "picky" and turned out his was "over charged" Dealer said the pressure has to be exactly as specified or won't work correctly. Once the system was set at the correct pressures, it worked perfectly in Palm Springs, CA. Might have your dealer check your system.

Circuitguy 05-18-2003 01:55 PM

An a/c system will blow colder faster if the fan speed is at a lower setting. It takes time for the evaporator to chill after you first turn it on. Blowing a fast stream of hot air threw it right after you turn it on will make it take even longer to cool the car. If the car is very hot when you get in roll the windows down first as you will drop the temp greatly just by doing that. Then turn on the a/c with the fan at a low speed for 30 to 60 secs or so then roll up the windows and turn up the fan speed. It should get very cold quickly. Try this yourself and you will find it works. C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX

Hummer Man 05-18-2003 02:01 PM

Great advice CIRCUIT GUY. I'm never in the 3rd Row but they tell me it's warm back there !

"FORUM FOUNDING MEMBER 11/03/02 - #1 H2 SITE"

H2 Bill 05-19-2003 02:41 PM

I went through part of July, August and September last summer with 100+ (up to 117) temps and we had 100 degree temps this weekend and mine would freeze you out. I'm thinking that 8myrover could be right! Have your dealer check out the freon level.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow, CLB, Window Commander, Euro Tail lights.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com

DURAMAX TIM 05-19-2003 02:51 PM

Not to sound racist but color makes a BIG difference.
Black ones will have a harder time cooling than white H2s.

Tucson Beast 05-19-2003 03:12 PM

DURAMAX TIM

How right you are - in Arizona you learn about car color real fast - this is why I always state - "White is Right"

Three white and cool Tucson Beast

Tucson Beast 05-19-2003 03:14 PM

Sorry for typo - hit Post button to fast - "Three = The"

Tucson Beast

Circuitguy 05-19-2003 03:31 PM

White is grrrrrreat!!! White is right! And because my H2 is white that also helps... C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX