Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   WTF IS WRONG WITh PEOPLE!! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42244)

twenty2 01-12-2012 07:39 PM

WTF IS WRONG WITh PEOPLE!!

So, I finally bought some U-steps literally a week ago only to find them STOLEN from the freakin mall parking lot! today!!! I am beyond PISSED how someone has the BALLS to swipe them from my truck MID DAY!!! It took me long enough to find them, only to enjoy them for a week!!! PISSED PISSED PISSED!!

guruerror 01-12-2012 07:57 PM

Re: WTF IS WRONG WITh PEOPLE!!

GTFO! :eek:

2010_5thgen 01-12-2012 09:16 PM

wow. your kidding!? are they that easy to remove?

guruerror 01-12-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
wow. your kidding!? are they that easy to remove?

Prolly 4 bolts each...just like the LE steps.
2 guys + 2 ratchets + 5 minutes = 4 steps (unless they get caught...then it equals 2 ass-beatings)

twinmill28 01-12-2012 10:15 PM

I'd thought about finding a way to secure mine because I thought it would be too easy to steal if you knew what you are doing.
Guess I better think alot harder about securing them.
That really was a streak of luck that yours were just put on, if they've been on awhile it can be more of a bitch and less worth it to try taking them off.
I've attempted to remove mine with mud on them and also once after winter in Utah. The bolts don't come out that easy in those cases.

Oh, and it's not 4 bolts each--just one bolt each step and it has a big knurl knob on it to simplify unscrewing them by hand; don't even need tools

guruerror 01-12-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmill28
Oh, and it's not 4 bolts each--just one bolt each step and it has a big knurl knob on it to simplify unscrewing them by hand; don't even need tools

WOW! That's crazy...

I guess can understand though, they probably designed them with off-roading in mind; trying to give users a somewhat 'hassle free' removal process.

hummeraddict 01-12-2012 11:12 PM

If there is one thing I can't ****in stand in this world its thiefs.

cashville 01-12-2012 11:52 PM

I have no idea how bad my reaction would be if I caught someone stealing from my h2 red-handed...

LoJac963 01-13-2012 12:17 AM

wow that's terrible! I've been looking for U steps for a while now. My first thought was how can I secure these things to prevent someone from stealing them. The design is great for offroading to take them off fast but at the same time you can't trust anyone anymore!

guruerror 01-13-2012 12:28 AM

Do these only fit H2s? Or any 2500?

[__--MUD--__] 01-13-2012 01:46 AM

Doesn't suprise me one bit considering the amount of Hummer Tailgates I see posted on craigslist across the country.

cecil-1 01-13-2012 03:26 AM

WOW that sucks balls. keep an eye on craigs list and ebay in case they show up. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to catch the MF that took em on ya.

WTF is wrong with people these days?

StockStar 01-13-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
Prolly 4 bolts each...just like the LE steps.
2 guys + 2 ratchets + 5 minutes = 4 steps (unless they get caught...then it equals 2 ass-beatings)

...and with that being said, you were more than likely being marked. They followed you to a spot were they knew you would be inside for a long period of time. They saw you & your H2 somewhere and decided this is what I want from that truck and decided to follow you. This is not random.

I agree with what someone said earlier. Check Ebay and your local Craigs list.

Sorry that happened to you

2010_5thgen 01-13-2012 02:08 PM

are you turning it into your insurance?

HummerJim 01-13-2012 02:39 PM

You need one of those camera systems like the guy had in Dallas when his H2 got keyed. They caught the guy a week later when friends? identified him. Those exterior cam systems are getting cheaper every day. It's another reason besdies for body dings I park at the end of the row away from everyone else - it's good exercise too!

snmazer 01-13-2012 02:40 PM

Twenty2, sorry to hear about your loss. I am a cop and nothing surprises me anymore. One night we had a call where a guy had a custom car with around $8000.00 in rims and tires on it, that he kept parked in his attached garage. While he was in his house with his family eating supper, a group a s**t bags entered his garage, jacked up his car with HIS jack, used HIS jack stands, and removed and stole all 4 wheels. Luckily with a crime stoppers reward we got a tip and were able to arrest and charge those involved. They also were tied to several other thefts.
I am currently replacing my u-steps with LE steps, and I see how easy it is to steal them. Anyone else reading this, remove the knurled knobs, and replace them with nuts and bolts and locktite. Not fool proof, but would take longer to remove than the knobs.

KT2T 01-13-2012 04:06 PM

Sorry for your bad luck with those steps as I surely would be apoplectic if this happened to me. This whole discussion has me started researching security bolts to replace the original knobbed bolts. I really like the convenience of removing them with no tools in very little time when I'm ready to go off road, but the scarcity of U-steps in good shape is going to demand some sacrifice of convenience it seems. Damn this unethical and corrupt society! The lack of commensurate punishment for this crap is what causes it to escalate. Gah.

:soapbox:

I am going to size these bolts up and if I find any security bolts with mating socket to keep in the glove box I will post it here as a reply.

PaHumBug 01-13-2012 04:31 PM

That sucks man. I definitely say anyone with those steps should remove the knob so it at least takes tools to remove them.

I have the LE steps, someone earlier said they remove the same as the LE steps, this is not true. You have to loosen you rock rails until they droop enough to fit the step between the plastic trim and the rock rail, then bolt the steps on and re tighten the rock rails. The rock rails bolts are a PIA to get to. I would almost call them theft proof.

twenty2 01-13-2012 10:03 PM

I think my BP is starting to get back to normal after yesterday!! Still PISSED!! I wanted to actually etch my initials on them should this ever happen.... then, waited for the dumbass post them on cragislist or ebay, then he would have been busted. Too late on that one.... then again, who would have thought!! So, now Im just riding with just the rock rails on... No steps and no bars....

So, my fellow H2 peeps that have U-steps..... lock em up! And, keep your eye out on u steps from Chicago on craigslist or ebay!! They're prolly mine! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

HummerMann 01-14-2012 02:49 PM

There has been a big problem here of people stealing the catalytic converters (article in the paper this weekend) and some even the long metal bar steps on SUVs for scrap metal. My daughter-in-law had the CATS cut out of her Beemer when she was Christmas shopping at the mall in broad daylight last month. She thought she had a muffler problem until my son got under the car and saw the clean cuts. There is no way in a crowded mall lot someone didn't see them - people just don't want to get involved anymore and that's ashame.