Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BFG MT's or Goodyear MT/R's (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10880)

Detonate 12-15-2003 01:41 PM

I'm having a hell of time getting ahold of MT/R's. The guy I talked to at Goodyear says they are shipping them all to Iraq at the moment.

The guy I talked to at Discount Tire is trying to talk me into BFG MT's, but since I really don't know much about tires, I've just been going off of everyone else's expierences.

MT/R's seem to be the proven solution, so should I hold out for them?

------------------------------
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.

Detonate 12-15-2003 01:41 PM

I'm having a hell of time getting ahold of MT/R's. The guy I talked to at Goodyear says they are shipping them all to Iraq at the moment.

The guy I talked to at Discount Tire is trying to talk me into BFG MT's, but since I really don't know much about tires, I've just been going off of everyone else's expierences.

MT/R's seem to be the proven solution, so should I hold out for them?

2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.

Patriot 12-15-2003 02:12 PM

Det,

I had BFG MT's on my Jeep TJ and now have MTR's on my H2. I prefer the MTR's.

They are a bit quieter and seem to do better overall (snow, mud, dirt) than the MT's. I just had the H2 out in the snow,sleet, ice, etc and it behaved perfectly...no issues. On my TJ, the MT's would slip in rain and snow.

Now, you can't really compare the H2 with the TJ but it's the only comparison I can offer.

Have you tried ordering them from Canada? May be a bit more but I think you may be able to find them up there?

Detonate 12-15-2003 02:25 PM

Well the only comparision I have at this point is that Discount Tire offers the MT/R's for $190 per tire and that's mounted and balanced.

While the MT's are $250.

$250 per tire seems steep to me, not to mention I have a feeling that the MT/R's are better. But I just want to make sure that's the overall assesment.

I really don't want to pay more for a lesser tire.

It's hard enough to convince my wife that I need new tires on a 8 month old vehicle as it is.

I haven't tried Canada. The problem I'm having is that most places, while they offer 37" MT/R's, they don't stock them. They just order them as needed. And everyone says they are on back order.

Patriot 12-15-2003 02:46 PM

I hear ya...

Try doing a search on 4X4 places. They might stock larger size tires like you're looking for...

Dan 12-15-2003 02:49 PM

Check out the reviews at www.tirerack.com

Anyone have any experience with the Pro Comp Mud Terrains? They look similar to the MTs.
www.procomptires.com

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 12 months down, 6 to go!
-------------------------------------------------

AlamoJim 12-15-2003 02:51 PM

I say go with the MT/R...I have scraped,cut,and generally abused mine for over 20k miles...and I wheel on them hard. Never had a problem with them, the sidewalls are awesome and the road noise, performance, and wear all are very reasonable.

From what I have seen on the trail and from talking to owners of the Procomp X-terrains I would go with the MT/R over the procomp products every time. I know 2 owners of the x-terrains personally and they both are switching back to the MT/R (buy 3 get one free is not as good a deal as it seams...)

JMO
Good luck finding them, let everybody know where they turn up!

PARAGON 12-15-2003 03:22 PM

Detonate,

Have you tried Sam's Club. Seems like there are 2 that's right by you. One on I-30 and one on I-20. I know Sam's sells the MT/R's and hell you might get lucky.

PARAGON 12-15-2003 03:56 PM

Detonate,

Here are a couple more places to try:

4x4GroupBuy.com

Tire Terminal

Check out the price here

Jigga 12-15-2003 10:07 PM

Hey detonate,
I have also been searching and searching for MT/R's. I've canceled my order with 4wheelparts.com, They've been on backorder forever. I'm was also told to consider the BFG MT's but I feel the MTR's are superior. I'm just going to hold out and hopefully in a few months there will be a big enough stock around the country to buy some.

2003 Pewter H2 with Adventure Package, 20% tinted front windows, K&N aircharger filter kit, 3 screen DVD and Playstation 2 system. Soon to come: 37" MT/R's, Warn winch, XM and subwoofers.

BAMFH2 12-15-2003 11:51 PM

Detonate,

Been looking for weeks for the MT/R's. I checked all the online stores and local stores to no avail.

I just found a set on Ebay last week, so you might check there.

Good Luck!

Help Computers
www.helpcomputers.net
720-205-HELP

BAMFH2 12-15-2003 11:55 PM

WHOA - Paragon - I just checked out your link "check out the price here".

WTF! $499 each! And that is his sale price, down from $699 each...what is that boy smoking?

Help Computers
www.helpcomputers.net
720-205-HELP

BAMFH2 12-16-2003 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Detonate,

Here is a cool pic to see what you are in store for if you can find the MT/R's.

What a HUGE difference!

Picked this image off of www.yellowH2.com

Some pretty cool pics on this site if you havent been there before. His Moab pics are very cool!

Help Computers
www.helpcomputers.net
720-205-HELP

Detonate 12-19-2003 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think. Worth $1100 including the rims?

1 Attachment(s)

1 Attachment(s)

Detonate 12-19-2003 05:46 PM

That doesn't seem like much tread to me, but I'm not sure how much they come standard with.

And I don't really need or for that matter like these rims. But I'm wondering if I can sell these rims? Or maybe I could use them and swap back and forth between my on road, off road tires?

Rrrrrrrrr...

FrgMstr 12-19-2003 08:58 PM

Does not look like much tread to me either.... Not 1100 bucks worth anyway...

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com

Detonate 12-19-2003 09:57 PM

The guy says there are only about 4,000 miles on the tires, and after I looked at some more of the pictures of New tires on the yellowh2.com site, I tend to agree.

Well these seem to be my options.

Those 4 for $1100 which includes the rims no shipping. + $100ish to mount balance.

5 tires, 4 with 7k miles and 1 with none for $1,000 + shipping + $100ish to mount balance.

5 BFG MT's for $1,500, no shipping, includes mounting and balancing.