Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nitto tires rubbing on stock H2? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41885)

2010_5thgen 09-02-2011 03:51 PM

Nitto tires rubbing on stock H2?

the title basically says it all. I have Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 on my stock 2007 hummer H2. when turning into a parking lot or something with a slight grade to it, i notice at a complete lock the wheel is hitting the front sway bar. theres even markings on the bar. is there a way to fix this? another question.....i plan on putting some 20" wheels on next spring. is there a better offset that i should get to help this? thanks for the help.

ssgharkness020147 09-02-2011 09:37 PM

Re: Nitto tires rubbing on stock H2?

You might be able to adjust the bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing.

2010_5thgen 09-03-2011 01:31 AM

Would it help if i adjusted the torsion bars in the front to raise it up?

draconianruler 09-03-2011 09:13 AM

I'm running 37" Nitto trail grapplers on 20" wheels with no issues. I forget what the offset was but the wheels are Moto Gear 951.

2010_5thgen 09-03-2011 11:52 AM

if i run 20's it will be on a 2008 stock 20" wheel. should i run the 12.5 wide or 13.5 wide?
or, if i dont even switch to 20" wheels and just run a 37 on the stock 17, will i be ok if i adjust the torsion bars and do spring spacers in hte rear with 4 new shocks?

Indy 09-03-2011 03:41 PM

Too bad the H2 doesn't come with steering stops, like many other SUV's out there. But you can adjust the torsion keys a bit...the stock ones might give you 1/2" or a bit more if you turn them all the way up. Spacers in the rear work fine. Depending how high you want to go, you might need new shocks. I believe that 1" will work with the stock shocks though.

2010_5thgen 09-03-2011 07:56 PM

I saw that summit racing has skyjacker shocks for a 3"lift in stock. And their only 36 bucks each. So i may replace all the shocks when i do the lift. Will it look awkward having the truck lifted 2-3" and only running a 35" tall tire? Id love to get 37's but i dont think that will be this year

HumminNBoatin' 09-09-2011 07:31 PM

Slow down there turbo! lol

Its normal for tires to rub on the sway bars on the H2. Don't worry I till not harm the tire or the sway bar. Unless you like to drive all the way to work every day with the steering wheel at full lock and somehow you make it there doing donuts! lol.

I think that any H2 running 20" wheels with only 35"'s on it looks kinda goofy regardless if its lifted or not. If you really want a porportionate look go with a torsion bar lift and 37's.

If you go wider than 12.5 on a 37" tire you will need to do the Torsion lift or you are going to have rubing problems.

I would recommend the the chevy green keys (These are just Torsion Keys from a 1500 chevy truck ) And get the RANCHO RS5000 shocks. They are $45/ea. from Summit. The site on Summit will say "Backorder-expected ship date of (Two weeks from whatever the day is) " However this is not the case. When you place your order Summit just has Rancho drop ship them directly to you.

Do NOT use the factory shocks with the T-bar lift it will ride terrible and will quickly destroy your factory shocks as they are the first limiting factor on the H2 front suspension.

2010_5thgen 09-09-2011 07:46 PM

well, im not running 20" wheels now. im not even sure if i want to. i think i may just go with 37" tall tires on the stock 17" wheel. so if i lift the front with new torsion keys, running 37" tall tires will be fine?i dont need to lift the back at all? how much does it take to level out the front to match the back? 1 1/2-2"? doing this, would i need to get all 4 same shock sizes? since the back would stay the same height and the front is raised x amount of inches.

lasvegash2 09-11-2011 04:52 AM

?humminNboatin... i have the truxx f/r lift with the 2" tall shock extensions that came with the kit. can the shocks still fail sooner than expected?

2010_5thgen 09-19-2011 12:40 PM

found a set of the green keys on ebay for 45 bucks. should be getting the rancho shocks soon from summit. how much lift does it take to level the truck out? about 1 1/2"?

IRA51 09-20-2011 07:50 PM

KEYS ARE NOT NEEDED FOR 1 1/2 ,JUST CRANK THE T BARS . bOTH THE KEYS AND CRANKING THE T BARS WILL RUIN THE NICE RIDE AND MAKE IT ROUGH .

2010_5thgen 09-20-2011 09:44 PM

So just turn the stock torsion keys? Why has everyone been saying to get these green keys?

IRA51 09-23-2011 12:29 AM

what you do is crank the T bars 1/2 turn each and see if it stops rubbing. If not crank them another 1/2 turn if needed . That should do it . You WILL need to go get the alignment checked /done. You want to lift it just enough to stop the rubbing . It's free and works.

2010_5thgen 09-23-2011 01:30 AM

And this is good if i want to run 37's too?

IRA51 09-24-2011 09:14 PM

The more you crank them the ruffer the ride. If I were you I would crank them just enough to stop the 35's from rubbing and call it a day.

2010_5thgen 09-30-2011 09:05 PM

ok so i just got the truck back from the dealership. i had them crank the factory keys and raise the front about 1 ". looks pretty good and drives good so far. no issues here. plan is to get new shocks next year and the 2" spacer kit for the rear and use the green keys i just got. ill lift the front a bit more and hte back, then throw some 37's on! ill post up pics when it stops raining.

BrianSF-GA 10-11-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
Slow down there turbo! lol

Its normal for tires to rub on the sway bars on the H2. Don't worry I till not harm the tire or the sway bar. Unless you like to drive all the way to work every day with the steering wheel at full lock and somehow you make it there doing donuts! lol.

I think that any H2 running 20" wheels with only 35"'s on it looks kinda goofy regardless if its lifted or not. If you really want a porportionate look go with a torsion bar lift and 37's.

If you go wider than 12.5 on a 37" tire you will need to do the Torsion lift or you are going to have rubing problems.

I would recommend the the chevy green keys (These are just Torsion Keys from a 1500 chevy truck ) And get the RANCHO RS5000 shocks. They are $45/ea. from Summit. The site on Summit will say "Backorder-expected ship date of (Two weeks from whatever the day is) " However this is not the case. When you place your order Summit just has Rancho drop ship them directly to you.

Do NOT use the factory shocks with the T-bar lift it will ride terrible and will quickly destroy your factory shocks as they are the first limiting factor on the H2 front suspension.

... oh my, my .... I guess my truck looks goofy!