Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   On the road again (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42591)

HummerJim 05-27-2012 12:54 PM

On the road again

Got a late start out of MO yesterday on the way to visit the grandchildren in Telluride, CO. Spent the night in Wakini, KS and was suprised to see gas prices as low as $3.19 a gallon in Boonville, MO just off I70. Gas prices here in KS were $3.45 at the Phillips 66. Hope to make Telluride before dark tonight but I doubt it will happen with the holiday traffic on I70 out of Denver. Then I want to do some offroading in the mountains while the girls shop. H2s are great road trip cars. A salute to all my fellow veterans on this Memorial Day Weekend.

devilsfan 05-28-2012 01:48 AM

Re: On the road again

Have a safe drive and enjoy the scenery. If you want cheap gas, swing by south TX - it's $2.99 here. :)

f5fstop 06-10-2012 09:09 PM

Are you going to do Blackbear pass and drop down into Tulluride:D

Gas prices here in Moab are around 3.80.

HummerJim 06-13-2012 01:13 PM

No, but my son let me drive my old H3 for a week in Telluride and after driving my H2, he said it was "too big." I still would like to take the H2 up to the Yukon like I did with the H3 in 2005 and spend more time in Banff and Calgary on the way up, but my plans are on hold since our first daughter is expecting in July and the wife wants to be there. Late August start is still a possibility . I REALLY want to go back to Kluane National Park in Canada with the Hummer. When I was up there in 2005 the H3 literally stopped traffic with everyone wanting to know about it, even the Mounties.

HummerMann 06-14-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5fstop
Are you going to do Blackbear pass and drop down into Tulluride:D

I love mountain trails and passes, but Blackbear pass has to be one of the scariest drives anywhere. I don't like all the crosses on the pass where someone died. I'd do Lion's Back at Moab a dozen times instead of one pass up Blackbear - I'm older and wiser now. I did it part of it once in a Wrangler and my heart was in my mouth the entire time and my wife was so freaked out, she go out and went back to the turn around and refused to spot for me.

f5fstop 06-15-2012 03:07 AM

I loved blackbear....but I clearly undestand why it is one-way down into Telluride. However, they should open it up for one week every year for up hill one-way.

HummerJim 06-15-2012 12:57 PM

Awesome shot of Blackbear Pass. Wtih my son and his family living in Telluride I hear too many rescue and over the edge stories about Blackbear, but there is no doubt it's one of the most beautiful trails in the world. I guess I'll have to ad it to my bucket list.

f5fstop 06-20-2012 01:20 AM

I don't think there have been too many people actually killed on BB. There was a guy who was crushed by a fallling rock a few years ago. Honestly, it is one of those trails that is only dangerous if you do not pay attention.

The shale rock will cause you to slide further when braking so compensate, take more points in a turn if needed, but I'll say the turning ratio on the H3 allows it to take those turns very well.

In our trip we had a Jeep, two H3s and a H2.

Here's an H3 coming down after me....

And here's an H2 coming around the corner...

Here you can see the switchbacks of BB pass from Imogene pass trail

DRTYFN 06-26-2012 01:57 AM

:eek:

:clapping: