Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Discount Tire Moron's.... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33153)

H3_ATX_BLK 03-10-2008 04:17 PM

Discount Tire Moron's....

Ok so I took my 3 in for new shoes, 33" Nitto's on aftermarket Rims, all was well for about an hour, my SERV TPM light starting coming on. I took it back twice they tried to reset it, it would clear, then come back. Well I took it to the Dealer to have to computer updated for the new tires, (which didnt work has to be redone) and they said the sensors were pegged, and they didnt know what to do, it was a saturday at 12 so they were ready to leave.

After another week of this annoying light, I finally checked the tire pressure, duh i assumed it was right cause the tire shop checked it, was it? NOPE they had the pressure cranked to 40psi, which according to the specs on the TPMS sensors, is way to high for cold tire pressure!!! So when the tires got warm, the air expanded, and the sensors reached the top limit of thier sensing range, and errored out. I reduced the pressure to 32 psi, and now all is right with BAM.

Just a lessons learned if you guys have a similar problem...

Sewie 03-10-2008 11:59 PM

Re: Discount Tire Moron's....

40 PSI is not cranked. Many people, myself included, run at that pressure (or higher) all the time.

H3_ATX_BLK 03-11-2008 12:01 AM

well at 40psi the serv tpm light came on, when i backed it off it didnt so..... occums razor....

Sewie 03-11-2008 12:55 AM

What tires are you running? Check the sticker on the driver side door jamb. That will tell you your recommended pressure.

Also, as part of the re-learn process, you have to let out a certain amount of air to trigger the sensor. It's possbile that is what made the DIC warning go away, not the actual PSI.

And it could even be a bad sensor. Those things are flaky at best.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 03-12-2008 01:44 AM

I've been running 40 psi cold in both my H-3's for over 2 years, no problem and let me tell you it can get HOT on the road down here in the middle of summer. Both have factory GoodYears 32's

navigator32v 03-12-2008 09:13 PM

I got my 35 in dune grapplers rotated at discount and they also had cranked my psi to 40. I lowered the back to 34 and the fronts to 31, I also have my tbars cranked and bilstiens. I couldn't figure out why the ride was so rough. I think they set it at 40 psi for the sake of tire wear. I prefer a smoother ride to athe latter.

Discount has always treated me well though, I've bought six sets of custom wheels and probably nine sets of tires from them.

blindzebra 03-14-2008 05:52 PM

i always run mine at 40-42 on the street. better mileage and better wear/