Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   OnStar / XM antenna question.. can it be used with aftermarket NAV? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2764)

Mark805 11-11-2005 11:19 PM

When they installed the NAV into my rig I told them I wanted my factory gps (onstar / and xm antenna used.. It looks like they didnt use either .. xm reception went out the window.

Was wondering if I can go in and insist they use the factory ones... before i go in I want to see if its even possible..

Thoughts?

Mark805 11-11-2005 11:19 PM

When they installed the NAV into my rig I told them I wanted my factory gps (onstar / and xm antenna used.. It looks like they didnt use either .. xm reception went out the window.

Was wondering if I can go in and insist they use the factory ones... before i go in I want to see if its even possible..

Thoughts?

kodiakz 11-11-2005 11:36 PM

Fectory xm should be easy to use. I dont beleive that there is an oem lead for gps outside the onstar module and it is not easy to get it out of that box although it can be done. If they did the install properly, the new gps antenna would be mounted under the dash and you would not even notice it.

Mark805 11-12-2005 01:15 AM

both antennas are on a little pad on the dashboard.. on the right side in the corner...

timgco 11-12-2005 04:13 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark805:
both antennas are on a little pad on the dashboard.. on the right side in the corner... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you have cool tires to look at to make it all better!

Mark805 11-12-2005 10:56 AM

hahahaha

kodiakz 11-12-2005 01:53 PM

Go back and have them grab the xm antenna behind the glove box (I am assuming you had oem xm), and have them remount the gps antenna WITH THE 2 X 2 METAL STICKER that came with the new gps antenna. This metal pad is very important for under dash mounting.

Mark805 11-12-2005 06:10 PM

any special place to point out for where the GPS antenna goes?

kodiakz 11-12-2005 06:19 PM

It can really be mounted anywhere under the the dash where there is no metal between it and the sky. I usually mount them to the underside of the dash top, as close to the middle as I can get. If they can't seem to find a suitable place under the dash, at least have them roof mount it in the rear by the back gate where it is not very obtrusive.

f5fstop 11-13-2005 12:38 AM

Factory NAV GPS antenna is mounted under the I/P just to the left of the radio; if I'm not mistaken on where under the dash.

Mark805 11-13-2005 03:28 AM

Thanks for the input.. gonna print out this thread and show it to their installer and see if he can do what I wanted to begin with

Mark805 11-13-2005 10:15 PM

Kodiakz or f5fstop... I just called Car Toys and the installer says the stock XM wont fit in.. either of you know for sure if it will? I have an appointment in the morning and wanna be able to yell and be right

Lucci 11-14-2005 01:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark805:
... I just called Car Toys and the installer says the stock XM wont fit in.. either of you know for sure if it will? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The shop that installed my Navi unit stated they could not use the XM antenna or the GPS antenna that came with the vehcle.

kodiakz 11-14-2005 12:31 PM

Oem xm antenna is the same as aftermarket. And even if it has a slightly different end on it (which I have yet to see) you can take the plastic snap cover off and just use the metal coax connector on the end. The Navi antenna is slightly different and not as easy to use so I would just use the one that comes with the nav unit.

Mark805 11-14-2005 01:54 PM

sweet! thanks Kodiakz...

I owe you all some:

kodiakz 11-14-2005 11:29 PM

NP!!

Mark805 11-14-2005 11:41 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And even if it has a slightly different end on it (which I have yet to see) you can take the plastic snap cover off and just use the metal coax connector on the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO.. I go in today and bump into a fellow H3'r and avid reader of our boards.. he's got a stack of print outs from this very thread.. glad to see this stuff help others out there

Anyhow... the installer comes out, asks me what I wanted done and I explain. He gives me some BS about factory XM antenna is not the same outlet but he'll go look. 30 minutes later he comes out to tell me the cable is too short to reach the XM unit... he's advised to pull it from the harness... Then about 10 minutes later (maybe more) he comes back to tell me how the "end is different" and I tell him almost word for word to pull off the plastic piece and plug it in.

ROFL... it worked and I dont think he likes me much. But its a small price to pay to get me out of there

SO the answer to the question.. can the XM antenna be used on aftermarket xm nav unit? YES it can... insist they do it and not mess with more antenna BS.

kodiakz 11-16-2005 03:29 AM

Priceless!! Don;t you just love customer service!