Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Gas Cap Question... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37950)

Airman84 08-01-2009 12:08 AM

Gas Cap Question...

I posted this in the GENERAL forum by accident so I am posting my question in the TECHNICAL forum. I am designing a military gas cap to fit on to the H3/H3T. I was wondering if there is anyway around the "check engine light" that comes on if the cap is off. Is the light only coming on because it needs a constant seal or is there something in the factory cap that prevents the light from coming on when it is properly attached? The dealer, ofcourse, is telling me that there is no-way around the light. I should be able to get a good seal, the caps I'm using were taken off... literally taken off... of military aircraft that have been used/flown for over 30+ years! FYI... I have them because they were removed from the aircraft for an upgraded model... no theft! lol. I will have pictures soon and once I get the design working without problems I will be more than happy to make acouple extras to those who would like one. Thanks!

fourfourto 08-01-2009 01:06 PM

Re: Gas Cap Question...

I would say it would work if it was sealed.
Post some pics ,Ill take one as long as its not chromed:D

wpage 08-02-2009 04:15 PM

Try it out. Even if you throw a alarm code. It will clear itself after a while. You may be better off leaving the stock cap and making a mil type cover with a lock...

Airman84 08-02-2009 11:27 PM

First off... NO CHROME! lol. I'm in the process of getting rid of the chrome package I had to get on my H3T. The system is straight off the airplanes... origional paint is red and unpainted aluminum.
I'm bascially worried that after I modify the area around the gas cap to accept the airplane recepticle that it might not create a great seal and the light will stay on until i put on the origional cap.
I do not want to just make a cover, when I make parts theyre all functional... not just for looks.

dlinden200 08-03-2009 03:33 AM

I am interested in what you come up with.
I hate the gas cap and I do not want a locking door either. Those doors are nothing but problems. Especially when its 20 below, 50 mph wind, blizzard, and you drop the key in the snow.

Airman84 08-11-2009 03:58 PM

Just installed the cap on the truck, havent had the check engine light come up yet, fingers crossed! I'm going to take the cap and recepticale off and have the recepticale powdercoated flat black to match the black plastic around the filler neck. I have acouple pictures, i'll try and post them after work, came out great!

fourfourto 08-11-2009 04:23 PM

If seal wasnt good the light would go on within 15 to 30 minutes max.
Cant wait to see pics.
:D

Airman84 08-11-2009 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have acouple pic's... the cap and neck are origional, acouple people have said i should powdercoat them black, let me know what you think! I have two different designs of caps, the one pictured is not the one i'm going to use, just used it to mock up because the other one is more rare and didnt want to ruin it.

fourfourto 08-12-2009 02:11 PM

I would paint/powder coat black .
Looks cool, whats the other cap look like ?

Airman if you use the paper clip in the fonts above text box then click insert all the pics will come up in the post

Airman84 08-18-2009 09:35 PM

I've tried using that method to add pictures but it keeps coming up as an attachment. I must be doing something wrong, lol.

fourfourto 08-29-2009 03:51 PM

Airman how did the finished cap work out ?
I might be interested in one