Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to change spark plugs 04 H2? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33283)

Oasis 03-17-2008 08:12 AM

How to change spark plugs 04 H2?

I am trying to change my spark plugs for the first time I am at about 75,000 miles. I cant seam to pull the wires out they wont move I need to pull out the end from the bottom of the engine correct? Do I need to screw them out or something? Is there something to it that I am not doing. Any help would be nice. Thanks

badss98 03-17-2008 01:50 PM

Re: How to change spark plugs 04 H2?

You need to twist the base of the rubber insolator that covers the plug,Do not pull on the wires as that will possibly damage them, Also sometimes there is a slight vac in the plug created when they were installed so you need to break this by using a hook to release the suction under the boot,Be careful not to rip the boot. Most auto stores carry a wire remover to assist doing this if you are unsecessful at this point. Have a great day

Oasis 03-21-2008 04:35 PM

Man I tried all that I cant get it figured out? there is a metal ring around the spark plug boot and they dont turn. I guess I am going to jsut havet to take it into the dealership but they want $275.00 to change them that is crazy as hell!!!

H2 Bill 03-21-2008 05:35 PM

Did you get the spark plug remover tool? Most of those boots have a silicone grease inside to keep the plug dry and it creates a vacuum. The tool is inexpensive compared to what the dealer is going to charge you.

IRA51 03-22-2008 12:40 AM

I'm going to tell you the BEST way to do it so you will have no problems or issues . grab a nice big pair of plyers and pull the plug wires off and throw them away ,they are shot by 75000 mile any way .buy AC delco plugs,and a new set of Quality wires,a tube of dieletric grease,and some anti seize compound. make sure the engine is dead cold ,remove the plugs. put anti seize compound on the threads of the new plugs ,check the gap ,hand thread the plugs in and make you don't cross thread them ,tighten them with a socket wrench (do not over tighten them you have aluminum heads) put dieletric grease in both ends of the new wires ,make sure the coil ends are clean and not corodeded ,install the wires (you will feel and hear a snap. simple and easy .it should not take more than 1.5 hours at the most. most will tell you to reuse the old plug wires ,they are dead wrong and too cheap for thier own good . use new plug wires . :fdance:

richl 03-22-2008 12:47 AM

:iagree:

and torque on the plugs is 20 foot pounds.... and put a dab of anti seize on the plug threads........

i do them all the time at work ................