Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   H3/H3T Stereo Install (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38016)

Airman84 08-14-2009 05:37 PM

H3/H3T Stereo Install

I am looking at installing a navagation/dvd "slide out" receiver, i found the mounting bracket and onstar plug-in for it on Crutchfield.com, but how in the heck does the old radio come out? I've been looking all day to find screws and clips but havent been able to locate all of them. Has anyone changed out their radio yet? Any suggestions? The dealer is not help here in Buffalo, they barely know enough to work on the hummers and they wont give out any schematics or hints. Thanks!

solarflare 08-14-2009 09:22 PM

Re: H3/H3T Stereo Install

I saw a similar post on another forum....I believe they said that the dash is only held on with clips. They said to place a small flat head screwdriver under the silver part of the dash and pry it away...it will unclip.
I hope that helps!

MaineH3 08-14-2009 09:56 PM

Put your fingers into the 12v outlets and pull up and out. It should "pop" off its clips. You'll have to disconnect the plugs for the a/c and such. Good Luck!

Luke

wpage 08-14-2009 10:26 PM

It does pull off...
The first time its very stiff.
There is a good study on this done by "f5stop" do a search on Navigation or Stero intall he put a AVIC unit by pioneer in his about 3 years ago.
Good Luck!:beerchug:

HumbleAg 08-14-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage
It does pull off...
The first time its very stiff.
There is a good study on this done by "f5stop" do a search on Navigation or Stero intall he put a AVIC unit by pioneer in his about 3 years ago.
Good Luck!:beerchug:

Ditto. I printed out f5fstop's post and used it as a guide when I installed my unit in the '06, uninstalled and put in '07, and again in the '09. A bit time consuming to get it right, but nothing tough.

mako159 08-18-2009 07:10 PM

I pull the silver dash part away from the top in the center.. Then you can get to the 4 screws holding the radio in.. Make sure not to insert the key to turn the truck on. You will get a service 4wd if you have the harness unplugged from the diff control panel..

Airman84 08-18-2009 09:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the help, I'm going to try doing the install this weekend, i had to order the OnStar adapter from Crutchfield's. I'm debating on ordering this subwoofer box (pictured below) and buying similar stock black cloth interior to wrap it so it matches the truck, let me know what you think. I mostly listen to classic rock, rock and a little country but i like a little clean bass.

HumbleAg 08-19-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mako159
I pull the silver dash part away from the top in the center.. Then you can get to the 4 screws holding the radio in.. Make sure not to insert the key to turn the truck on. You will get a service 4wd if you have the harness unplugged from the diff control panel..

I've pulled mine apart several times, in all three H3's. It is much easier to do with shifter all the way in L, which requires the key to be on. The service 4WD does come up, but when all is buttoned back up it goes away quickly.

Airman84 08-21-2009 05:32 PM

Got the head unit installed with the GMOS-01 adapter, works great, SUPER EASY TO INSTALL!! My buddy that was helping me did put a scratch in the panel, so now i need to find someway to cover it or fix it... friends... lol. Still debating on the sub-box above. But i think the H3 is larger in the back than the T, so idk if the box would even work... might be too big seeing as its built for a regular H3.