Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   head replaced SECOND TIME (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33781)

wpage 02-24-2009 08:16 PM

Re: head replaced SECOND TIME

H3's that were produced after 8-15-05 had the fix:raar:

Keepa2 02-24-2009 10:41 PM

update~ still no check engine light, but took to dealer this morning. Got a call back that the Manifold bolts were broke, and they had to order parts, will keep it over night. On my way over now to pick up rental. Dealer says its not the head, but symptoms point that way. Will advise more tomorrow...

:confused:

RubHer Yellow Ducky 02-25-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keepa2
update~ still no check engine light, but took to dealer this morning. Got a call back that the Manifold bolts were broke, and they had to order parts, will keep it over night. On my way over now to pick up rental. Dealer says its not the head, but symptoms point that way. Will advise more tomorrow...

:confused:

intake or exhaust ?

Keepa2 02-25-2009 02:11 PM

exhaust~

pdsq99f4 02-25-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage
H3's that were produced after 8-15-05 had the fix:raar:

Actually it was 4-4-06

Mark805 02-25-2009 05:03 PM

We had to replace the head on our 2007 H3 2 months ago... So I call shenanigans on the engine fix dates.

pdsq99f4 02-25-2009 08:25 PM

The 07 is a whole different head than the 06's. There have been a few 07's, but not like the early 06's. I've personally replaced less than 10 heads on 07's.

Mark805 02-25-2009 09:37 PM

not to hijack the thread, but what was the problem with the 2007 head then? Had the same diagnostic problems and same fix.

pdsq99f4 02-25-2009 11:04 PM

Half of them were intake valve seat problems and half were exhaust valve seat problems. On all of the exhaust valves that were leaking, they were #5 cylinder and there was an exhaust leak that caused the valves to burn. Same diagnostic approach, testing compression and cylinder leakage.

Keepa2 02-26-2009 02:21 AM

Ok, got the Humv back this evening, invoice states as follows:
"DIO BROKEN EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLD IN CYLINER HEAD. ATTEMPTED TO DRILL BOLT AND EXTRACT-UNABLE TO REMOVE. R/R CYLINDER HEAD TO EXTRACT ON BENCH. REINSTALL HEAD AND REPALCE GASKETS AS NEEDED. DRAINED AND REFILLED OIL AND REPLACED OIL FILTER. NOW OK."

so I got a free oil chanage, too bad I had just changed it a week or so ago with Mobile One...
also; "TECHNICIAN NOTICED OIL LEAKING FROM TRANSMISSION AREA DURING EXHAUST CHECK. R/I TRANSMISSION TO REPLACE REAR MAIN SEAL-LEAKING OIL"

Seams like there were a few other issues, glad I went in for the fix. Will give her the break in tomorrow and report back with any issues. I do have to commend the dealership, they had every thing in line for me, rental car was ready and waiting, no charge for anything, not even the 5gal of gas I used up. No comments about the level kit or MagnaFlow exhaust / K&N CAI or anything. all in all, damn glad for the warranty.:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Keepa2 03-01-2009 08:05 PM

seems to be running great, I guess I didn't realize how loud that exhaust leak was, cause now she's real quite. MPG has gone back up a litte too, was ~13, now around 14.5 (using the Scan Gauge II) Thanks to all for the extra info and advice. I'll have to post a pic of the Scan Gauge, installed it in the DayStar dash console, real clean fit.

~Keepa

snowflake 03-18-2009 12:32 PM

Haven't been around for a while. I have a '06 Green H3. Build date is 11/05. At 35,000 miles engine light went on. Then went out a few days later. I thought it was bad gas. Then at 36,000 came on again and stayed on, so I made an appointment to get it looked at. Then it went out again. I kept the appointement. My dealer reported that the #3 cylinder had 70% leakage and the head needed to be replaced.

He said, they are on back order for three weeks because the replacement heads they were using were also defective. There were 15 H3's ahead of me, so they were doing about 1 per day. He said to keep driving it unless the light came back on and started flashing. The light stayed out the whole time. It's not burned out either, because it does light when I turn the key.

Yesterday was my appointment. Dropped it off at 8:00 a.m and picked it up at 5:00 p.m. The service person said, this is the new improved head, so it shouldn't leak anymore. He said, it's warranted until the end of the original factory warranty - 50,000 miles. I asked, what if it goes out again, lke the other replacement heads? He said, they would try to work with me. How are others getting the 100,000 mile warranty? If this was fixed, then GM should feel confident that even with the 100,000 mile warranty, it would come into play.

dlinden200 03-26-2009 05:50 AM

Do a search for the post that list the answer to your questions.
You need to call GM and make a claim. They will take your info, call the dealer for varification. They will mail you an extended warrenty.
Takes a fews calls. Be polite and tell them how wonderful your hummer is and how much you want to keep it with the extended warranty.
Without it you might have to sell it and get a F3.

Dan

HummerJim 03-29-2009 02:22 PM

I think that earlier post about driving it hard hits the nail on the head. They didn't have as many problems with the I 5 on the Canyon trucks and work trucks are always overloaded and abused. My early VIN H3, now in the hands of my son in Denver is still going strong, but I did a lot of towing of my bass boat with it, hard driving, and mountain driving with the pedal to the floorboard. 90,200 miles and no problems - I'm not sure how that helps the head, valves or valve seats, but it's worked so far.