Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Running lights (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20155)

Groundpounder 09-04-2006 04:28 PM

Running lights

Has anyone had running/clearance lights installed on their H3? I am interested in getting a set put on mine. Just to let the other cars know I am bigger than they think at night. :jump:

HummerNewbie 09-04-2006 04:44 PM

Re: Running lights

I had them installed when I got mine and love the look of them. I think they make the truck and actually make it look bigger.

Hmmm2 09-04-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I had them installed when I got mine and love the look of them. I think they make the truck and actually make it look bigger.

Can you post a pic?

Groundpounder 09-05-2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Where did you get them? What did you use? Who installed them? If you did it, how did you wire them? Got photo?

H3PAC 09-05-2006 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a dealer installable option, or you can buy the OEM kit and install it yourself. I had mine installed by the dealer just before I took delivery. I think the lights really give the vehicle that "Hummer look" as well as increasing visibility/safety.
Attachment 29698

HummerNewbie 09-05-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Can you post a pic?

I think the lights and cross bows make the truck as well as make it look bigger.

Hear it is without the lights

A week later with them

Then with the cross bows as well.

HummerNewbie 09-05-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundpounder
Where did you get them? What did you use? Who installed them? If you did it, how did you wire them? Got photo?

I got them when I bought the truck. I took delivery that night and had it scheduled for a week later to get the marker lights and DVD headrests installed. I would have the dealer do it since you have to drill into the truck as well as the fact that there have been wind noise issues. If you have problems and install it yourself then you it's all on you. If the dealer does it you just take it to them if there is an issue.

MALADJUSTED 09-05-2006 07:50 PM

Very nice!! :perfect10s:

Groundpounder 09-06-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

I got them when I bought the truck. I took delivery that night and had it scheduled for a week later to get the marker lights and DVD headrests installed. I would have the dealer do it since you have to drill into the truck as well as the fact that there have been wind noise issues. If you have problems and install it yourself then you it's all on you. If the dealer does it you just take it to them if there is an issue.

.................................................. ..................................
Have you had any "wind" noise problems with your set up? It does look more finished on your H3. We both have the same color, want to trade?:giggling:

H3PAC 09-06-2006 12:40 PM

No wind noise problems on mine...but I've only had it up to maybe 70 mph. I'll do a hundred and stick my head out the window and let you know.:D

humdoug 09-06-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3PAC
No wind noise problems on mine...but I've only had it up to maybe 70 mph. I'll do a hundred and stick my head out the window and let you know.:D

You'll never get to 100, H3 shuts down around 94.:crying:

HummerNewbie 09-06-2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

.................................................. ..................................
Have you had any "wind" noise problems with your set up? It does look more finished on your H3. We both have the same color, want to trade?:giggling:

I had wind noise issues that took them a little while to fix but they got it right on the third try. It has now been 4 months and they have not been a problem. I do get the vibration noise every once in a while but only for a second and it goes away. Must just be a cross wind or something that just happens to catch it right.

Great color choice. Sure, I'll trade, but you have to buy all new stuff for me to put on it after we trade ;)

inked 09-08-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

I think the lights and cross bows make the truck as well as make it look bigger.

Hear it is without the lights

A week later with them

Then with the cross bows as well.

Wow, i thought it was just me that saw my H3 a little bigger since installing the crossbars:

<- before

I'm looking to get roof running and PIAA lights next and already got those Husky liners for front, mid and cargo area - those liners rock!

CorvetteOJ 09-12-2006 01:05 PM

I just posted in another thread, but felt it was appropriate to repeat it here also. I had the marker lights added to my H3 and went through hell trying to get the wind noise and vibration stopped. Finally, after the GM fix kit did not work, they drilled another set of 6 holes and moved the lights back as far as they would go (AGAINST THE XM ANTENNA)! THAT FIXED IT!!! I have had it up to the rev limiter (99mph) on numerous occasions, in various directions and wind conditions, in clean air and behind 18 wheelers, and not a sound or irregularity. So I guess the answer is to make sure the lights are back against the XM antenna and you should be good to go! If they are not back that far, the wind coming off the windshield is subject to catching the leading edge of the light bar and causing the noise and vibration. The difference I'm referring to is only 3/8 inch, but that little bit seems to allow the wind to pass over the light bar without catching the leading edge of it. Have a great H3 day!

MountainBlue 09-13-2006 03:59 AM

HAVE THE DEALER INSTALL THEM!!! Ours had the same noise problems and was fixed by the dealer, took them ALL day to get it done, but no problems now.

Groundpounder 09-13-2006 02:06 PM

My dealer has never put a set on an H3. I can install it, however, I do not have any information on what color wire I can tap into for power. I figure it can be done by one of the tail lights.

HummerNewbie 09-14-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

My dealer has never put a set on an H3. I can install it, however, I do not have any information on what color wire I can tap into for power.

Your dealer might not have done this install before but neither have you. I am sure you are more than capable of doing the install but I would still let them do it. If you do it and there are any leaking or wind noise issues they are on you, not a warranty issue. Even worse, if I recall correctly, a number of dealers were cracking windshields early on before they learned how best to do it.

Groundpounder 09-14-2006 05:48 PM

Thanks for that bit of advise. Back to the drawing board on self instilation.

HummerNewbie 09-14-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that bit of advise. Back to the drawing board on self instilation.

By no means am I saying you couldn't do it and do it right, just giving my $0.02 :)