Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   An idea for all your feedback (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203)

evldave 02-23-2006 11:42 PM

ok, so I've got this idea. Doesn't seem too hard to do, but I'm thinking it might be overboard.

Here's the idea. Right now, I've got serious roadrash from branches and other crap from driving around the various Nat'l Forests here in the NW. Originally, I was going to go the whole magnet idea, and make some door protectors that way.

Instead, I'm thinking DIAMOND PLATE. I've got a couple extra 4x12' 16 guage diamond plate sheets in my garage. I can template the doors, cut them out of diamond plate, then rivet or glue them to the doors.

Your thoughts? How good would a H3 look with full diamond plate doors look? I'd go black powdercoat (the H3 is black), cut the sheets to fit perfectly, and make the entire sides sans fender DP. I'll eventually get the time to line-x the fenders, so that should add to the 'tough' look, but also protect it from tree scratches + the occasional rock.

Your thoughts? Sound off, let me know what you think!

evldave 02-23-2006 11:42 PM

ok, so I've got this idea. Doesn't seem too hard to do, but I'm thinking it might be overboard.

Here's the idea. Right now, I've got serious roadrash from branches and other crap from driving around the various Nat'l Forests here in the NW. Originally, I was going to go the whole magnet idea, and make some door protectors that way.

Instead, I'm thinking DIAMOND PLATE. I've got a couple extra 4x12' 16 guage diamond plate sheets in my garage. I can template the doors, cut them out of diamond plate, then rivet or glue them to the doors.

Your thoughts? How good would a H3 look with full diamond plate doors look? I'd go black powdercoat (the H3 is black), cut the sheets to fit perfectly, and make the entire sides sans fender DP. I'll eventually get the time to line-x the fenders, so that should add to the 'tough' look, but also protect it from tree scratches + the occasional rock.

Your thoughts? Sound off, let me know what you think!

timgco 02-23-2006 11:57 PM

Have you seen the movie MAd Max before?

evldave 02-24-2006 12:08 AM

lol dude, I'm not thinking that extreme, since it's a black H3, black diamondplate might blend in better. Of course, I could put some big steel plates in the doors, maybe some in the firewall and back door, drive it to Iraq and have the only armored H3 there? Nah, just looking for something even more unique than it already is, without going overboard...

Sewie 02-24-2006 02:34 AM

There's unique, and then there's ugly. I think you'll be walking a fine line.

Steve - SanJose 02-24-2006 02:56 AM

The damage is done and there's more to follow. Just have bodywork/paint done before selling it.

S.

Shawn from Angry Iron 02-24-2006 03:53 AM

sort of like this?

Sewie 02-24-2006 04:00 PM

That thing looks mean. But I think if you were to d-plate the doors, like Dave is talking about, it would be too much.

Plus, some things that work on an H2 style wise might not work on an H3.

evldave 02-24-2006 11:03 PM

I agree. That's looks great!. Seeing the diamond plate that way seems like a better approach.

Shawn from Angry Iron 02-25-2006 02:53 AM

Thanks it's my design. Once I fabricated the panels I had them sprayed with a bed liner material.

FormerJeeper 02-25-2006 06:41 AM

Hey Shawn, please make a good front winch bumper (like Road Armor) for the H3 and allow it to fit a 1200LB winch.

Cheers

-C

Ma\'Deuce 02-25-2006 12:24 PM

evldave, that's a lot of extra weight. you might have to wait till the deisel comes out because i have doubts about the little 5 being able to pull four diamond plated doors down the road. you'd prolly have to beef up the hinges too so the door don't fall off. I'm having the same issues, as there are a lot of nasty branches an twigs that leave "racing stripes" down dark colored doors here in the "pot hole state". I'm going the linex route on the fenders and the lower door below the cut line(at the rocker). you might think about linex ing the whole door?

HummBebe 02-25-2006 02:04 PM

What about adding the diamond plate to the bottom of the doors, like an 8-10 inch strip ? That would look tough and prevent rocks from scratching the doors.

The only thing I have seen that would really help are the door magnets, and the cables run from the top rack to the brush guard. It "lifts" the big branches and prevents the deep scratches.

However:
The Line-X is so practical, cheap durable and easy to apply.

evldave 02-25-2006 04:09 PM

I think I'll go with strategically placed diamond plate like BB says - I did that on my Jeep and it helped a lot. Plus it will match the DP on the rack (if I ever get it finished). Thanks for all the great ideas!