Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Things I would change... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22919)

northern_hummer_user 12-10-2006 05:43 PM

Things I would change...

Best 4x4...period.

This month snow as finally been an issue. I pulled a neighbour's new RAV4 out of a ditch and up the road with her standing on the brakes (I guess thats how she ended up in the ditch), in 6 inches of snow on a layer of ice, uphill a moderate incline. Impressive.

I also had to drive an old lady up her steep drive to her home everytime she went out as her daughter's Nissan Pathfinder spun 180 going down and couldn't make it up since. As the H3 is new to me, I drove up and down her hill without any problems. Lo range + rear locker is unstoppable.

I even like how the H3 throws mud and dirt everywhere. 1 mile down a logging road and there is like 1" of mud caked to the rear fender flares and covering all of the door handles. Its like having no fenders!

Things I would change:

1. Radio antenna move to the rear door. When you drive down brushed in roads, it catches constantly and threatens to tear off.

2. Rubber floor. The rubber mats are good but I often have 1/2" water under the mat when the snow melts in the mat.

3. Rear window controls hit my funny bone. Not a bad problem, just annoying.

4200 KM without a problem until my ONStar buttons stopped working (no green LED by the buttons to indicate that it is working). When I tried to check the fuses, I snapped one of the plastic tabs off the fuse box cover. Stong fingers or cheap plastic?? I guess it was trying to remind me that this is still a GM product...sigh.

54 Paralell
Green H3 with no chrome
Adventure package with stick

K9sH3 12-10-2006 05:58 PM

Re: Things I would change...

I agree about the antenna.
I would like to see the rear side windows open to let air pass when you have all the others open.
I would like to see a change on that big bulky rear door, it would be nice if it were some sort of tailgate so I could hual more shiat.

Nice first post "NHU" welcome..

aetherH3 12-10-2006 06:01 PM

none of the things you mentioned have been an issue for me, but the things i would change:
1. FOLD FLAT rear seats.
2. More little cubbies and trays
3. More interior cargo hooks (Xterra style)
4. Sold front axle.
:beerchug:

deserth3 12-10-2006 06:59 PM

Move the damn 4 way flasher button. I keep hitting it when I adjust the vents.

wordstew 12-10-2006 07:22 PM

onboard air compressor.
heated mirrors
Short antenna or hidden antenna

Hunner 12-10-2006 08:31 PM

http://www.antennax.com/

Here is a solution to the ant whackin everything. I got one on mine. Can't tell any difference in reception but then I mostly listen to XM.

Sewie 12-10-2006 09:03 PM

Welcome NHU. Good to here you're getting good use out of the truck.

1. I'm used to it. But mine did almost unscrew itself all the way out once.

2. Try the Catchall mats. The OEM rubber ones are good but I do get mud on the carpet in footwells at times.

3. They are kind of awkward but I'm used to it by now.

f5fstop 12-10-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9sH3
I agree about the antenna.
I would like to see the rear side windows open to let air pass when you have all the others open.
I would like to see a change on that big bulky rear door, it would be nice if it were some sort of tailgate so I could hual more shiat.

Nice first post "NHU" welcome..

It would be nice to have a different designed rear door. Either a split with the glass separate from the metal tailgate, or a upward moving hatch design.
However, this would require:

Spare tire moved inside taking up luggage area, or a swing out spare tire holder. I would go with the swing out spare tire holder, at least as an option.

K9sH3 12-11-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aetherH3
none of the things you mentioned have been an issue for me, but the things i would change:
1. FOLD FLAT rear seats.
2. More little cubbies and trays
3. More interior cargo hooks (Xterra style)
4. Sold front axle.

:iagree: YES add that to my list as well. :beerchug:

Lex_Ordo 12-14-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordstew
onboard air compressor.
heated mirrors
Short antenna or hidden antenna

I agree with the above, and am going to look into the OEM Antenna X 15" replacement. Looks very Sleek!
I also will add that the Door controls could be a little better placed and the Brake pedal arm needs to be toward the left about 2 inches to make room for large boots.
Other than that, The truck is really designed well. In fact, I can't really complain about anything. I like it the way it is just fine, but if the above were an option, I would have bought them.

Desert Dan 12-15-2006 12:25 AM

Definitely a fold flat rear seat with a non-skid rubberized surface. Even if the bottom cushion had to removed to fold completely flat.

Move rear license plate to spare tire and add a second tow shackle on rear bumper

Cast iron front diff and real front locker on Adventure Package

Air Compressor option

Winch option

Wisha Haddan H3 12-15-2006 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
Definitely a fold flat rear seat with a non-skid rubberized surface. Even if the bottom cushion had to removed to fold completely flat.

Move rear license plate to spare tire and add a second tow shackle on rear bumper

Air Compressor option

Winch option

all of above ...

plus onboard power inverter in cargo area

jp's-h3 12-15-2006 05:31 AM

H3's are awesome!
a couple of things that might help.
1-get a stubby antenna (ebay $13.00)
2- I paid $40.00 for some rubber/all weather, front and rear floor mats from checker auto. no probs w/ leaking.

DarkEye 12-15-2006 02:11 PM

Window controls could be moved forward so elbow does not get marked up.

Would like a seat attached arm rest.

More room between gas petal and break petal.

Lex_Ordo 12-22-2006 02:28 PM

I ordered the Antenna X 15" OEM replacements mentioned above. I can't wait to get them. They should really make everything a bit more streamlined.

fourfourto 12-22-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
all of above ...

plus onboard power inverter in cargo area

I was thinking of permently mounting my inverter under the acc plug in the cargo compartment.
Does anyone know how much room there is behind the recess in the pass side rear cargo panel Ithink I need about 4 inches to have the Ac plug flush with the plastic.
I didnt get a chance to remove it to see how much room is in there.

Mike E 12-22-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan

Air Compressor option

Winch option

^^AMEN^^