Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Factory Window Tint % ? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22960)

fourfourto 12-12-2006 03:19 AM

Factory Window Tint % ?

Anyone :grouphug: know the % of the factory window tint.
I want to get mine done and want a good match to the factory tint.
I have a local guy doing it for $50.00 :D

marin8703 12-12-2006 03:42 AM

Re: Factory Window Tint % ?

i dont remember exactly what they are but its on each window in the bottom corner. It tells what percent light will go through and some other stuff. i think the front are 70 or 80% light through and the rear are 20 or 30% light through. check the window. also they maybe different in different states (doubt it but might) because of different requirements among states.

fourfourto 12-12-2006 04:19 AM

Thanks I didnt realize it was listed on the window.:beerchug:

fourfourto 12-17-2006 09:46 PM

Front windows are 70% rear side is 18% + or- 5%

What % to go over front will = around 18%.

I figured 35% over 70% is about 20%

Im sure the tint guy will know ,but I want a close match :confused:

Smokin Joe 12-18-2006 02:43 AM

I had my fronts done at 20% and it matches the rear pretty good.

marin8703 12-19-2006 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfourto
Front windows are 70% rear side is 18% + or- 5%

What % to go over front will = around 18%.

I figured 35% over 70% is about 20%

Im sure the tint guy will know ,but I want a close match :confused:

have you checked the ny window tint laws, or are you not worried about that. i hear most cops dont care but you can get a prick once in a while. anyway if your curious here it is:

New York Window Tint Law

New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Windshield-------Nonreflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows----Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows-----Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window----Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Front Side Windows-----No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows------No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW YORK RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors---No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors------Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements----Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements----The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
Medical Exemption----State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

fourfourto 12-19-2006 03:11 AM

Funny how the side back is 18% and sold in NY.:giggling:

I had dark tint in the past and never had a problem.
If I got a ticket I could get it fixed :shhh:

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon 12-19-2006 04:42 AM

Wow! New York is REAL strict. We're 25 on front and 10 in back in Arkansas. Here's another listing for those curious about their states: http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automot...int-laws.html#
Llumar (what we carry) usually keeps this up to date.

GregDiesel 12-19-2006 04:45 AM

I had my front sides done at 15% and it matches perfectly.

fourfourto 12-19-2006 03:49 PM

I guess I will go with either 15% or 20%

Thanks all :grouphug:

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon 12-19-2006 05:37 PM

15% and 20% match real close. We do most of our front doors to match the rears in 15% and have never had a problem.

usetosellhummer 12-19-2006 08:36 PM

I did 20% and it is very close but can still see. less then taht might get you a ticket

Groundpounder 12-21-2006 12:25 AM

Texas used 35% driver door and 35%-20% on other windows, however, the Texas Traffic handbook states one can go as low as 25 on ALL windows, including the driver side. The back can go to limo tint-5%.

Most officers do not like not seeing inside when they make a traffic stop. Made on once and the driver informd me he did not use any tinting. He spray painted the windows. :twak:
I kept him company while he removed the paint from the driver side window.

H3.007 12-21-2006 02:42 PM

I may be mistaken but I thought if it was factory, it didn't matter. Hence, if I ever had the urge to go darker, I think I'd just have darker, factory windows (if available) installed.

Of course in PA, most anything aftermarket that you do to a vehicle is technically illegal. I suppose it depends on how much time the locals have on their hands... :popcorn:

fourfourto 12-21-2006 11:35 PM

I had the front windows done today,they came out great.:dancingbanana:
They match the back good,they used 20%.
Thanks for all the info :grouphug:

Steve - SanJose 12-24-2006 07:57 AM

I had 35% 3M put on my front windows over a year ago. Just slightly lighter tint than rear windows, no problems.

S.

Anti-BlInG 01-26-2007 04:26 PM

So....any run-ins with the law? Im trying to sell myself on this mod.

Wu Jen 01-26-2007 04:51 PM

Depends on your state Anti, I live in AL and the state has a tint law that discriminates, if you live in AL then you have one rule if your from out of state you fall under a diffrent category. You can go to court and beat it quite easily. (I've had to go twice so far, not in my hummer though)

Georgia had a similar law that (I believe the last year or two?) was struck down just for that reason.

If your stopped out of state you can go to court and fight using the interstate transportation act that you should not be jugdged under the state you are passing through but from your home state. And you can get the charges dismissed that way also. Couple of ways to beat it.

Main thing is to not give them a reason to stop you in the 1st place.:D

Anti-BlInG 01-26-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wu Jen
Depends on your state Anti, I live in AL and the state has a tint law that discriminates, if you live in AL then you have one rule if your from out of state you fall under a diffrent category. You can go to court and beat it quite easily. (I've had to go twice so far, not in my hummer though)

Georgia had a similar law that (I believe the last year or two?) was struck down just for that reason.

If your stopped out of state you can go to court and fight using the interstate transportation act that you should not be jugdged under the state you are passing through but from your home state. And you can get the charges dismissed that way also. Couple of ways to beat it.

Main thing is to not give them a reason to stop you in the 1st place.:D

Are you saying dont do it, it gives them a reason to pull you over? Or are you saying dont speed and get pulled over, which gives them a reason to ticket the tint...?

stagger_lee 01-26-2007 05:56 PM

CA law allows no tint whatsoever on front side (driver and passenger) windows and windshield. Rear windows can be as dark as you want. I have been pulled over and cited twice, $10 fix it ticket. But than you have to pay for it t be removed or remove it yourself, get it checked out and signed off at Sheriff station and then drive back to the tint shop and put it back on. :fdance: The stupid thing about it is a reason to pull you over if they suspect you of anything else so be careful. I was told stickers were probable cause too. I got pulled over specifically for this one:

I told him I'm a musician not a doper. :giggling: :fdance: