Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My girlfriend wants a prius (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28289)

Wisha Haddan H3 07-09-2007 08:39 AM

My girlfriend wants a prius

... so we took one for a test drive Saturday. And I have to say, it was nice. Seriously. I couldn't believe how fast and agile it was in traffic and on the highway. And there was a lot more room inside than I thought. It actually felt like something out of the future, like some Jetsons-mobile that flies you to work and then folds into a suitcase.

But it wasn't all rainbows and smiley faces. The prius is ... well ... bland. It comes in one flavor, does one thing and makes one statement. It looks like a bug, zips you from A to B on a thimbleful of gas, and does so with irritating smugness. It's the ultimate in automotive sour grapes. "Well, I didn't want to go offroad anyway (or tow boats, haul kayaks, carry bikes, go camping, take dirt roads or drive in the snow), and anyone who wants to is stupid. Who's up for a zip from A to B? B to A? Anyone? Bueller? I have a touchscreen..."

Maybe I'm old-school, but I still think of cars as mechanical things with gears, wheels and grease. The prius was all touchscreens, levers and digital displays. Open the hood? Not without a PhD. And that irritating whine as the engine surged through traffic!

Hummers want you to open the hood and listen to the engine. Ok, not so much the 5-cylinder. But even the H3 begs you to tinker with something, add something or make it your own. You can bling a hummer, lift it, chrome it, dub it, armor it, rack it, outfit it for safari, build it up any way you like and change your own oil. It's a tow truck, an RV-towed truck, a plaything and a hobby. You can work, play, haul or just plain drive in it. It's good for family trips, road trips, offroad trips, grocery trips or mall trips.

Come rain, sleet, snow or ice ... in blizzard, mud, sand or flood ... over the river, up the mountain and through the woods ... the hummer gets you from A to B and all points in between. In short, it's versatile, it's fun, it's useful and you can make it your own.

So yeah, she wants a prius, and that's fine. But for fun, you can bet we'll be taking the hummer. Cause if it's not downtown, the prius doesn't cut it.

fourfourto 07-09-2007 01:25 PM

Re: My girlfriend wants a prius

My brother in law has one ,It drove GR8 its like a pod.
Funny taking off without the engine running.
He's been getting over 50 MPG 500 to the 10 gallon tank.

Theres no key and no starter .It has more room then you would think.

You can get bumper stickers that say My other car is a prius,She can get one that says my other car is a hummer.:jump:

dеiтайожни 07-09-2007 03:37 PM

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it's time to dump her. If you need any help throwing her stuff out on the lawn, let us know.

Steve - SanJose 07-09-2007 03:40 PM

There are other choices for hybrids that are not nearly as lame or ugly.

jmsspratlin 07-09-2007 04:15 PM

Congrats, you now will be the laughing stock of the community.:beerchug:

timgco 07-09-2007 04:37 PM

GO with something that has a better crash test rating. To me, safety is much more important than mpg IMO....esp with the kids.

There are a few other cars out there that are safer, have more room, great fuel eco. and don;t cost and arm and a leg to fix once the warranty is out.

Try Honda too.

timgco 07-09-2007 04:42 PM

I forgot to ask. Is she after the Toyota because it a Hybrid? Price? Looks?

If that's what this car is to her, check out Honda's Hybrid Civic and Accord.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...=Accord+Hybrid

THa Camry isn't bad either.

Steve - SanJose 07-09-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgco
I forgot to ask. Is she after the Toyota because it a Hybrid? Price? Looks?

If that's what this car is to her, check out Honda's Hybrid Civic and Accord.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...=Accord+Hybrid

THa Camry isn't bad either.

I agree.

Hummer Aficionado_VT 07-09-2007 05:07 PM

This is how it starts.

Next, she'll start making you eat tofu instead of steak, and then, she'll stop shaving her legs.

Its all downhill from there... :giggling:

Steve - SanJose 07-09-2007 05:20 PM

No f**king way there's going to be a Prius parked on my driveway or in my garage...

Hummer Aficionado_VT 07-09-2007 05:25 PM

:iagree: Amen brother.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 07-09-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer Aficionado_VT
This is how it starts.

Next, she'll start making you eat tofu instead of steak, and then, she'll stop shaving her legs.

Its all downhill from there... :giggling:

put your girlfriend intouch w1th gooey gaybob or better yet with zoe

BKLYNH2 07-09-2007 08:57 PM

We may as well evict him from the herd now. :twak:

Wisha Haddan H3 07-09-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgco
GO with something that has a better crash test rating. To me, safety is much more important than mpg IMO....esp with the kids.

There are a few other cars out there that are safer, have more room, great fuel eco. and don;t cost and arm and a leg to fix once the warranty is out.

Try Honda too.

I agree on the safety issue. Her 07 legacy outback has great crash ratings and AWD. Plus it hauls everything she needs for her son (wheelchair, walker and stuff). She's not in a huge hurry, but if she can fit all that stuff in the Prius, she's really going to want one.

This all started with summer vacation. After she stopped driving 60 miles round trip to her daughter's school, she stopped getting 30+ highway mileage. Now that she stays in town, she's only getting 25 mpg. I remind her she drives less now, but she wants that mileage back.

You know, I really don't care about it being a Prius, but I do care about the lower safety rating, smaller cargo area, cost of repair and not having AWD. At least the reliability ratings are high

Anyway, if it does happen it won't be for a while. She's still upside-down on the subaru and doesn't have the cash to even out the trade.

usetosellhummer 07-09-2007 09:39 PM

take her car shopping. alot of people are dumping them becase of poor ride, accl, and get burned out quick on the save the world sh*t. Go drive more cars now!

Steve - SanJose 07-09-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=40

Gets a good in the front and side. Doesn't get much better than that.

I just don't like them, but to each his (or her) own. :giggling:

"Good" ratings in crashes involving similar vehicles. But if the crash involves a larger vehicle/truck/SUV, good luck. It does get better than that and larger vehicles usually have lower death rates.

CO Hummer 07-09-2007 11:40 PM

Man, first Moonie turns into a greenie, now you. What's happening to CO people. :D

BlueTJCO 07-09-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO Hummer
Man, first Moonie turns into a greenie, now you. What's happening to CO people. :D

:fdance:

Hmmm2 07-10-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKLYNH2
We may as well evict him from the herd now. :twak:

Ohhhhhhh ROFLOL!!!!!!!! :iagree:

Steve - SanJose 07-10-2007 02:36 AM

Mooooooooo.... assuming it's a herd of cattle.