Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Windshield Replacement (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28894)

aaigohorns 08-06-2007 07:08 PM

Windshield Replacement

I need a new windshield. I've checked various places online that want $300+ for a replacement. That seems like a lot because it's so small and is fairly straightforward.

Has anyone paid less than $300?

Thanks.

usetosellhummer 08-06-2007 07:58 PM

Re: Windshield Replacement

That is a deal, installed? do it.

fourfourto 08-06-2007 08:14 PM

Is that OEM glass.
My original windshild has 3 chips/bullseyes that were repaired and have a good 3 or 4 other ones not repaired that arent turning into cracks.(hundreds of super small dots:giggling: )
I bounce harshly (30 to 40 MPH)on the woop dee doos on the back trails of the beach and no problems.
A aftermarket windshield might not hold up as well.

Also in Ny theres no deductable for glass so price is not important.
Im waiting for one smack center or a crack before replacing.

$300 seams like a good price aftermarket or not.
I wouldnt be suprized if OEM was double that installed.

Gunner_45 08-07-2007 07:20 PM

$300 bucks does not sound bad to me at all. My dealer wanted $650 but
but turned me on to thier glass guy who did it on the side for $350.

Here is something I posted on another forum regarding the replacement
process and some things I learned from the experience.

OK?

So I finally got around to having my windshield replaced today and thought I?d share some cheesy photos of the process??..

Popped off the breather covers:

Removed the door moldings and screws from the side reveals:

Notice all the black goop the dealer puts in to correct that pesky wind noise issue:

Wipers come off then the top cowl. Note: that special tool is all that stands between the installer and a broken cowl. 3 bills or so I believe.

Now the sub cowl comes off:

Removal time:

Slap some goo on it and reverse the process.

I learned a few things from the guys that did the replacement. They do a ton of these a month.

Use only folks that have done HUMMERS before. There are tricks to the job not everyone knows.

Example, if they don't have that tool for removing the top cowl, it's a 50/50 shot they will break it.

These guys make special rubber spacers to position and cushion the glass from possible metal contact in rough terrain.

If you have roof lights they charge $100 extra. Seems there is an issue with the riv-nuts having to be drilled out.

If you get a chip or small crack, get it repaired BEFORE it gets as bad as mine did. As a general rule, if you can cover
the damage with a dollar bill, they can do a repair. The site will be a little distorted, but it stops the damage from spreading
and is a hell of a lot cheaper. You can do multiple repairs if necessary.

Cure time is 3 hours prior to driving, 72 for a permanent cure.

During the cure times, leave a window cracked to shut a door and close them for highway driving...The pressure will F it up.

I know this is a huge post, but I found the whole process very interesting and figured if just one of you do as well, then it was worth it.

Gunner_45 08-07-2007 07:23 PM

Remember the black goop the dealer used to fix my wind noise.....

It makes a nice paper wieght....

So far so good....No leaks, no wind noise.........

Viet Nam Vette 08-07-2007 07:47 PM

Very Cool.. I enjoyed the post and learned something... Keep Non HUMMER Glass Peep's away from your HUMMER.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic's

:beerchug:

Gunner_45 08-07-2007 08:13 PM

One final note regarding OEM glass vs. Non-OEM..........

Not all glass is created equal. They showed me the difference between the two:

Non-OEM was $50 cheaper but......

It didnt have the tint at the top nor did it have the black border that
covers up all the dash crap when looking from the outside in.

OK I'm done now........Verbose MoFo aint I........:giggling:

NEOCON1 08-07-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner_45
Remember the black goop the dealer used to fix my wind noise.....

It makes a nice paper wieght....

So far so good....No leaks, no wind noise.........

great info , the dealers need a better way to address the wind noise issue besides all that filler :giggling:

usetosellhummer 08-07-2007 09:23 PM

"More Goop Please":clapping: Don't use Johhny at the car wash to fillthe crak. take it to a good class place and they will make it almost disappear!

fourfourto 08-07-2007 09:36 PM

Thats a lot of dismantleing to get the windshild out/in
I guess you would have to make sure there using OEM glass and have done other H3's.
Thanks for the tips and pics its a matter of time before I have to get it replaced.

I worry about them getting glue or dirt on the inside molding.Did they make a mess ?

Gunner
Hows your wind noise without that glob of silicone in there(or did you put it back?)

Gunner_45 08-07-2007 10:10 PM

No sloppy mess.... I was worried about the adhesive getting on the light tan interior moldings, but they were extremely careful...

These guys were pros. I think they have done all the local dealerships vehicles since the inception of the Hummer brand.

Unfortunately, they had to re-goop the moldings again. There doesn?t seem to be any way around it.

However, I don?t think they used quite as much as the dealership and the reveal moldings are down pretty dang tight.

After 500+ hi-way miles and two Dallas Monsoons, I have no water or wind leaks. (Knock on wood)

aaigohorns 08-25-2007 08:51 PM

Sewell wanted $600+ to do the windshield. These guys did it for less than $400 with OEM. They were good. I'm very pleased!

RubHer Yellow Ducky 08-25-2007 09:02 PM

GUNNER,

Nice post...

Are they local only or a franchise throughout the USA ???

Hunner 08-26-2007 03:49 AM

I installed my roof lights and torqued and locktited my rivnuts then removed the thread locker on furnished screws and put anti-seize on them. I sealed them with marine grade silicon which will come off when unscrewed. I would still take it off myself before having the windshield replaced. This is very important stuff, because, you have to remove the dang thing to replace the bulbs too! I have a late 06 and I don't have the wind noise even with the light bar. I don't have that wad of black caulk. Just a slight humm with the protrusions the lights make which is expected. Just turn up the Monsoon!

Gunner_45 08-26-2007 05:40 AM

Local (Dallas only)......Been doing Hummers since their inception. One of the
only guys Sewell will use...So I've been told.

Hunner, that's good advice on the roof lights....If I remember
correctly, that's pretty close to what they said they would do upon
re-installation.

As for the post, I'm glad I got to post something useful for a change..:) :)

Steve #1 08-29-2007 08:35 AM

Gunner,
Did you have this done recently? If you have Texas comprehensive insurance, it should be no more than $50 for the repair which most glass installers will discount so it costs you nothing.