Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How does your dealer treat you after your Hummer has been off road? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3017)

socalH3 08-23-2005 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I took my Hummer off road for the first time this weekend. Had a great time climbing, crawling, and traversing the wash out in Ocotillo Wells CA. Well after playing I have 2 issues. Having not hit anything Im a little confused why my steering wheel is now off center. My H3 still tracks straight, but the wheel is off center. Also one of my center caps fell off. Whouldn't u think they should say on? Anyway my point. I called my service dept to schedule an appoinment to get her in. When I gave them my reason for bring it in they said if you have been off roading that allignment and any body parts loss or damage would be customer pay. I would understand if I hit something, but the service manager made this stament not even seeing the vehicle. Isn't this what our trucks were built to do?

socalH3 08-23-2005 03:08 AM

Well I took my Hummer off road for the first time this weekend. Had a great time climbing, crawling, and traversing the wash out in Ocotillo Wells CA. Well after playing I have 2 issues. Having not hit anything Im a little confused why my steering wheel is now off center. My H3 still tracks straight, but the wheel is off center. Also one of my center caps fell off. Whouldn't u think they should say on? Anyway my point. I called my service dept to schedule an appoinment to get her in. When I gave them my reason for bring it in they said if you have been off roading that allignment and any body parts loss or damage would be customer pay. I would understand if I hit something, but the service manager made this stament not even seeing the vehicle. Isn't this what our trucks were built to do?

DeLeon 08-23-2005 06:41 AM

Hey socalH3, looks like you had some fun out there... to which dealer are you taking your H3? MKB?

H3Lady 08-23-2005 07:23 AM

Mm sorry to here about that

Everyone should read the fine print in the warranties book...

I would be sure that the steering wheel issued is covered...JUST YELL A BIT. BUT THE CAPS A DIFFERENT STORY

f5fstop 08-23-2005 07:51 AM

Alignment I could understand, the caps falling off I can't understand. Take it to the dealer and if you receive no satisfaction, call the customer assistance center (800 number) and complain. Those caps should not fall off. I will also say the alignment should not be off due to minor off roading, if that were true, my alignment was shot on the way home, since the roads in MI are worse than most off-roads in the US...just not mountains to climb.

jagular7 08-23-2005 02:06 PM

Bring it in, write down what you want them to look at. Get back in writing what the dealership is willing to do and what it will cost (if any???), then bring a copy of a mag advertisement of the H3 traveling offroad. Talk to the owner or manager of the dealership and not the shop customer service tech. They really don't make the decisions anyways. If you can't get satisfaction, then go higher on the line, if not, call the 800 support number.

Jeep owners had the same problem with the Rubicon and the other Wrangler models when they came out. When dealerships called their own service, get to the local/regional/etc of Jeep and they will tell the dealership what to do to satisfy your claims.

Offroad, yes, these vehicles are intended for off-road. Now hitting something to cause effect off-road is something different. Though the dealership may claim such, you insist that it was not a hit.....

Hummer Guy 08-23-2005 02:19 PM

I've seen some alignments messed up not from impacts, but from trying to get the front wheels to go somplace they didn't want to by forcing the steering wheel...not saying that's what happened, but you said you were rock crawling and hadn't hit anything...

timgco 08-23-2005 03:22 PM

Glad to hear you took the H3 out.
Now, The H2's have had issues with the steering wheel doing this too. It has happened to a couple of us on our Moab trips. You will need an alignment and normally the dealers don't cover it; I have had mine taken care of though once. The center caps do come off really easily too. We take ours off while going off-road. A few of us have just painted our hubs and left off the center caps.

next time you go off roading, clean the hell out of your rig (engine and suspesnsion too) and than take it in. The dealer will see that you take care of your rig and will appreciate a clean vehicle to work on. If you have a good realtionshiop with your dealer, thuis will help your chances of warranty claims too.

As for warranty work, the center cap thing, I think you're screwed on since you told them you took it off road. The alignment should be covered the first XXX miles I thought though. Did you have any big rub marks on your tires? Or remember bumping or bouncing up any big rocks. That's how my rig has gotten out of alignment.
Good luck,
Tim.